Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #1

Truck Washes

How do these truck washes work at the large truck stops? Can you just drive through with your toad? Interested in opinions from those who have done it.
Thanks.
6Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That's exactly right, drive in, tell them what options you want, whether you want the toad washed also, then pull out. We use them occasionally and have been very satisfied.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

brandss is correct, one thing I do while waiting in line is take painters tape and tape off the refrigerator vent panels and tell them easy around the tape with the pressure washers. Blue Beacon is a common wash company around a lot of truck shop, cost around $50 for me
Old 01-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Blue Beacon is handy to just get all the road grime and dust off. We tell them to use the pressure wand only, no brushes on the paint. No RainX either - bad for DiamondShield. You just pull in the line and wait your turn. When you get to the wash line, you pay and tell them what you want. Remarkably easy, though sometimes we have to wait quite a while. Luckily we have a kitchen and toilet handy!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
DID IT ONCE AND THEY SCRATCH THE CRAP OUT OF THE PAINT.

Lots of fine scratches that you can see in the sun light. Never again. Maybe pressure wash only will take some off.

I bought a telescoping painters pole at Home Depot and a micro fiber attachement for the end that I use to clean our Tiffin. The paint is so nice, don't want to ruin it.

A guy here at the place where we spend most of the winter will HAND wash and wax the coach. Top to Bottom. Best $300 I have ever spent on our 40' er.

Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Love Blue Beacon. They do a nice job for a reasonable price. I wish there was more of them.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
brandss is correct, one thing I do while waiting in line is take painters tape and tape off the refrigerator vent panels and tell them easy around the tape with the pressure washers. Blue Beacon is a common wash company around a lot of truck shop, cost around $50 for me
Interesting thread and post. Great idea about taping off the refer vents, what about the furnace and water heater vents/ exhaust as well? Anybody have problems there?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Thank you all for the reply's, helps a lot! I will try them, probably pressure wash only to get the road grime after long drives.
6Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #9

Do they use ionized water for the final rinse or how do they dry it? Just air dry? When I wash my coach at home I rinse it with the ionized water system I bought last year. The coach, cars and whatever, dry SPOT FREE by air drying only.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glen, - Re. "When I wash my coach at home I rinse it with the ionized water system I bought last year.", What kind of container do you use to isolate the ionized water from normal fresh water. I assume you are using a pressurized sprayer of some sort I wonder if they can hold enough water to do a descent rinse job. Are you doing a small section at a time? Thx
Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I wanted to mention something about Blue Beacon but it's not wash related. I stopped just outside of Tuscaloosa, AL to get fuel and it was pouring rain. Due to the limited visibility, I inadvertently pulled into the Blue Beacon car wash, thinking it was the truck stop. Needless to say, when I realized my error and because I was flat towing, I couldn't back up. Sooo, as I was contemplating getting out and getting soaked while unhooking the toad, I saw someone at the truck wash waving a light and motioning me in. I drove up as they opened the doors and the guy told me to just drive on through! Wow, that really made my day! They didn't have to do that, they could have just sat there and laughed at my stupidity since they knew I wasn't going to get a wash with it pouring rain. When I told the guy how much I appreciated what they did, he replied, no problem, it happens sometimes. Great customer service even when not making a sale at that time!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #12

Truck Washes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Glen, - Re. "When I wash my coach at home I rinse it with the ionized water system I bought last year.", What kind of container do you use to isolate the ionized water from normal fresh water. I assume you are using a pressurized sprayer of some sort I wonder if they can hold enough water to do a descent rinse job. Are you doing a small section at a time? Thx

I tried Blue Beacon in San Antonio for my coach and it was filthy from our Christmas trip to Tennessee. They did a great job, and no water spots. (They don’t dry it) Wheel brightener, Rainex and tire shine. $58 and very short wait time.
A “regular wash” is $36 for a 40’ coach.
I get my work rig washed there monthly.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #13

Like Blue Beacon, you can tell them areas to avoid and they will.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #14

Truck Washes

Fresh out of the Blue Beacon stall waiting on the tire shine guy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	274201
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	274199  
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote