Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 05:06 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
"......I guess it demands a new unit per this tread - ouch, ouch ouch"

Based on reading Kjon's experience, I would consider a Girard if you find yourself quickly going down a rabbit hole. I may rattle a few cages here, but Tiffin seems to change suppliers without the support needed when the parts fail. I have 3 examples on my 2019 Red 340. #1 Schwintec slide mechanisms (I replaced all 3 with Vroom - hopefully Vroom stays in business) #2 Parker/Racor air dryers (very difficult sourcing the kit) and now it seems #3 Truma Aqua Go water heaters.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 10:17 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
In prospective I find the Truma water heater to be a well engineered and manufactured product. My complaint was with their replacement parts policy which is not much different from other manufacturers and will likely require legislation to change it.

I too had problems with one of the Schwintek slide mechanisms. Red Bay serviced it twice. Mine are working but not as smoothly as I would like. At my winter campground place I have noticed many RV manufacturers use Schwintek and their owners seem to have very little or no problem with them. More and more I suspect the problem is with the installation and not the design or manufacture of the product. When I get back home armed with a Schwintek installation manual, I plan to look closely at them and see what I can see.
This winter I needed to repair a few things and discovered several construction quality problems, screws missing on cabinet frames and the hole cut for the toilet flange looked like it was cut by a youngsters first day in wood shop.

Needless to say I am disappointed in the quality of my motorhome which had many minor issues since I took delivery. I have no idea if Tiffin is any better or worse than others.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
"......Needless to say I am disappointed in the quality of my motorhome which had many minor issues since I took delivery. I have no idea if Tiffin is any better or worse than others."

I agree. If I ever buy another coach, I will remove drawers and look behind things including up under the chassis. The other day, in researching whether I want to upgrade my combo washer/dryer, I pulled the drawer under the washer and dryer and also the drawer under the bedroom window to look for lines etc behind the W/D cabinet... I found the back left leg of the W/D cabinet was broken and not supporting anything. I also found the dryer vent smashed about an inch inward by the cabinet. It was obvious they shoved the cabinet in and the leg got caught and was broken and the dryer vent hose was in the way about an inch and nudge nudge until they got it in. I have many many more examples of poor workmanship that one doesn't see unless they remove/look behind. I bought this coach new in August 2020. I've had to learn that this seems to be the way things are, but I am not happy about it. Like many others, you just fix what you can and live with the rest. I found the quality Tiffin boasts about is mostly hype (in my opinion). I've gotten to know most of her warts by now. I hate the thought of ever buying a brand new one again. But if I ever do, it won't be a Tiffin and I will both inspect it myself and hire a certified inspector.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:21 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
"......I guess it demands a new unit per this tread - ouch, ouch ouch"

Based on reading Kjon's experience, I would consider a Girard if you find yourself quickly going down a rabbit hole. I may rattle a few cages here, but Tiffin seems to change suppliers without the support needed when the parts fail. I have 3 examples on my 2019 Red 340. #1 Schwintec slide mechanisms (I replaced all 3 with Vroom - hopefully Vroom stays in business) #2 Parker/Racor air dryers (very difficult sourcing the kit) and now it seems #3 Truma Aqua Go water heaters.
So spent some time on the phone with Truma customer support and also talked with Tiffin Service. Tiffin service advised that often the parts most likely damaged by freeze are: Temperature stabilizer (black plastic tank), filter and pump.

Rather than piece meal trying to get it serviced only to find out another part (filter or pump) were damaged and the price of repair climbing above $1,600, I decided to purchase a refurbished unit for around $1,300 and have the unit swapped out. I'm going to send the old unit back to Truma to be repaired and certified so I'll have a spare.

I wouldn't say my experience with Truma was easy but at least they did have a solution that was helpful. Like many of manufacturers, they have completely shed themselves from dealing with customers and defer them to 'certified dealers'. Same exact experience I had with Rheme at my house. I won't purchase another Rheme product. I owned a Takagi prior which was great to deal with and excellent support.
EngMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #33

Information Request on TRUMA

Hi! New to RVing here and I just discovered my mixing vessel on my truma is cracked. I'm hoping to find someone to replace just that part but if not I may need to get a refurbished one. Would you mind sharing the name and location of the dealer that helped you please?
Thanks so much!
Ladysfc from GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjon View Post
After contacting a Truma Factory service center in Lakeland FL and explaining my problem I was informed that the "total loss" diagnosis at the Pensacola dealership was bogus. The part is available and easily replaced, but the parts policy is still in effect. Thus I am writing this from a motel room in St. Petersburg FL after driving 320+ miles from Port St Joe FL with an appointment with Truma in Lakeland this AM. The very helpful Lakeland tech sent me a spreadsheet with a list of all US dealers authorized by Truma for repairs. The dealer in Pensacola, although listed by Truma on their website, was not on the spreadsheet. I was told by the tech that to become an authorized Truma Tech you must be associated with a RV repair business (owner or employee), be a certified RV repair tech, and take a course (video) on the Truma AquaGo. I have about 45+ years experience with plumbing, heating, and electrical work but no RV repair certification which I understand is an on site 3 week course. On the brighter side I contacted my state House and Senate representatives and actually received a reply from the House speaker who asked for more details. He told me he supports "Right to Repair" Laws. This morning we will bring the water heater to Truma in Lakeland. If I'm lucky and they are sympathetic to my plight they may be able fix it and get me on my was back to Port St Joe. If not, I'm hoping that they can ship the repaired unit to me as I am not looking forward to another 640+ round trip to retrieve it. I also noticed the aforementioned spreadsheet lists dealers not technicians thus if a dealership has a Truma authorized Tech and the tech changes jobs the dealers authorization remains in place. The name(s) of the techs at the dealership should be added to the spreadsheet. In summary so far I have invested over 1 month without a working hot water heater in my RV, driven over 1300 miles, 2 nights in motel rooms, +meals and gas to get a repair I could have easily done myself if given a simple plastic part. UGH! I plan to write to Truma about my experience. If anyone is interested the Truma CEO is:

Mr. Gerhard Hundsberger, CEO
Truma Inc.
2800 Harman Dr, Elkhart, IN 46514
Ladysfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:29 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Truma service center file

See post #27 in this thread for a PDF file I got from a Truma factory Tech showing the current list of authorized service centers. Be sure the center you select is still authorized as Truma will not sell them a repair part if they are not an authorized service center. Good Luck
Old 03-29-2023, 06:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjon View Post
See post #27 in this thread for a PDF file I got from a Truma factory Tech showing the current list of authorized service centers. Be sure the center you select is still authorized as Truma will not sell them a repair part if they are not an authorized service center. Good Luck
Thank you so much.
Ladysfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysfc View Post
Hi! New to RVing here and I just discovered my mixing vessel on my truma is cracked. I'm hoping to find someone to replace just that part but if not I may need to get a refurbished one. Would you mind sharing the name and location of the dealer that helped you please?
Thanks so much!
Ladysfc from GA
There's one for sale on ebay but beware on ebay quality and hidden challenges.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Just installed the refurb Truma DLE60CP in my 2022 Wayfarer.

Install was relatively easy except for prying the outside edge away from the RV side. It had Butyl tape under the metal edges between the metal edge and RV side. That stuff is brutal to get it to release.

The fittings on the back are twist on similar to the pump fittings for the fresh water supply.

There is the propane inlet in the bottom right which is pretty easy to disconnect and reconnect. There is a rubber boot that is zip tied around the propane line. The RJ-11 communication line goes through the propane boot before the zip tie is tightened.

The only other connection is the 12v DC to the power source.

Everything ran well without leaks. I checked the propane with leak detector, checked all the water lines and no drops. Powered it up and it functions just like new.

I sent my old one back for repair so I'll have a spare unit in case something happens again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Truma DLE60CP.pdf (121.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:07 PM   #38

Truma Water Heater DLE60CP

You mention obtaining a refurbished unit and sending your old one off for refurbishing. Was that through Truma?
I believe I have the same problem with 2018 View.
Thank You
Cindy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:35 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a refurbished Truma if anyone is interested in buying it. It is the DLE60CP with the electric defrost connector (you'll have to get the filter heating element piece if you want to enable electric freeze protection). The jumper wire has been installed. This unit was refurbished by Truma and has never been used since and is in the original shipping box.

Contact me directly.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:35 PM   #40

Relatively new to this. How would I go about contacting you directly?

Thank You
Cindy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:57 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Andy View Post
Relatively new to this. How would I go about contacting you directly?

Thank You
You may have already figured it out. But here you go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Click 1.png
Views:	7
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	410519
Click image for larger version

Name:	Click 2.png
Views:	4
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	410520
Old 01-17-2024, 10:18 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe any Truma Factory Service center can do a rebuild. I bought a rebuilt unit from the facility in Lakeland FL for about $800 plus my old one. The rebuilt unit came with a 1 year warranty, the same as a new one.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater