Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #1

Turning off the ice maker?

I have a Norcold 1200 series and we don't use the ice maker. The arm that regulates whether or not to make more ice is in the up position. But the ice maker still is grinding away.

Is there a way to turn the ice maker off and leave the rest of the refrigerator running?
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
not sure of the model i have but it is the 4 door with the ice maker, i can remove the outside access panel and disconnect the ice maker.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't want to use the ice maker, it would be much easier to just remove it and gain that extra freezer space. Go to the outside access of the reefer and shut the water off then inside the freezer there are just two or three screws holding the ice maker to the left (as you are looking at it) wall. Once it is off the wall, you can easily see how to pull the plug on the back wall. Keep it and reinstall before selling or trading the coach.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Turning off the ice maker?

On ours, if you slide the ice holder out and look inside, there’s an on/off toggle switch inside. Ours is turned off and everything else still works ok. No grinding noise here.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
not sure of the model i have but it is the 4 door with the ice maker, i can remove the outside access panel and disconnect the ice maker.
What he means is the grinding noise you hear is made by a 120vac motor in the ice maker unit. You can remove power from this dude by removing the outside panel behind your fridge and unplugging the 120vac plug that powers said icemaker.

So, why do you not use the icemaker. Do you hate ice?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your help. I've been traveling all day and just got home. It's to dark to go down to the RV now but tomorrow I'll check out the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
So, why do you not use the icemaker. Do you hate ice?
lol, no, we love ice. But so far we haven't found the consistent quality of water necessary to enjoy the ice that is being made. Water at one RV site will be OK, the next is tolerable, and the next is absolutely undrinkable.

Hate to ruin a good drink with nasty cubes.

But that being said, I might try to find a way to plug in a 5 gallon jug of water to feed the ice maker so that the ice is always of good quality. Now that might be the ticket!
Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #7

See pg 31 Fig 30 & 31 for the two differnet means of powering the Ice Maker on the 1200 Series
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. I've been traveling all day and just got home. It's to dark to go down to the RV now but tomorrow I'll check out the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

lol, no, we love ice. But so far we haven't found the consistent quality of water necessary to enjoy the ice that is being made. Water at one RV site will be OK, the next is tolerable, and the next is absolutely undrinkable.

Hate to ruin a good drink with nasty cubes.

But that being said, I might try to find a way to plug in a 5 gallon jug of water to feed the ice maker so that the ice is always of good quality. Now that might be the ticket!
I bought a portable ice machine. Set it up on the bathroom counter and use some water from a gal jug of spring water let it fill the basket with ice then fill a gallon zip-lock bag with the ice, throw that in the freezer, keep going until you have a full gal bag of ice. The ice from the machine will be 25-30 degs after it hardens in the freezer it will be around 0 degrees.
-
Couple of hints, start with cold water in the machine and make sure you drain any left over water and store with the cord in the water area, lets the ice maker dry out !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #9

check for access panel outside motorhome and you will probably see a panel up above refrig area and behind panel is a valve that needs to be turned off. I didn't check this one time and valve froze over the winter and I had a leak, when I dewinterized in the summer. Dave
Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #10

Pulled off the outside cover and then pulled the 110 plug that goes to the ice maker. It's even labeled "ice maker".

It's simple enough that I feel a little foolish for not looking before asking. But anyhow, live and learn I guess.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Jim