RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
TV antenna problem

Im in a 2003 Allegro. New to me. setting up TV's had reception then all of a sudden no signal. Bought a set of rabbet ears and getting all my channels. Suspect that the cable to the antenna is bad. How would one replace the cable. Thought about connecting a new cable to the existing one and trying to pull it through. Really don't want to put any more holes in the roof. Any advice would be appreciated.
lsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

I would suspect corrosion in the connectors rather than the cable itself or the amplifier in the bat wing antenna if that is the type you have. You do have the amplifier turned on??
Old 10-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Which type of antenna is on the '03, the raise up batwing or the round "flying saucer" type? If there is corrosion you can probably correct by cutting the coax back 1" and putting on a new connector.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
TV antenna issue

We had a similar issue with our 2007 Allegro Bus. I went up on the roof and carefully removed the sealant around the cable. I discovered that the cable connection was corroded. I replaced the connectors and the barrel connector and my issues went away. If you are lucky, there will be enough extra cable for you to do a similar repair. If you do not have any already, I suggest that you get some dielectric grease that is made for waterproofing this sort of connection. Find a local cable guy to talk to or look online.

Best of luck.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I agree with the others, it's likely a bad end connection. Simple to cut off, and replace. Get the new ends at your local hardware store.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
TV antenna

Its a winegard batwing antenna. where would the amplifier be located. on the antenna itself ?. Only one connector at top of antenna. Will remove it and check for corrosion.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The amp is in the batwing. 12 volts is fed up through the coax. You can check it with a digital voltmeter up at the connection on the roof.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a similar problem and solved it by replacing the F connector at the antenna head. Verify if cable is RG6 or RG59 before purchasing new connector. When I stripped back insulation I found that the center copper "wire" was corroded. Clean it with steel wool so it looks shiny and new. Below is a short video showing how to do it with basic tools. I did mine with a compression connector which requires specific tools. If you don't have these tools, this will work.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #9

Seal it with high quality sealant tape when you're done so it doesn't happen again.

https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Pro...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 10-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
antenna problems

Removed connector from antenna. Apparently it was replaced but not screwed all the way in. Cleaned up the connector as it had some corrosion on it. reattached TV reception is fine at least in my driveway. Thanks for all the pointers.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalem View Post
Removed connector from antenna. Apparently it was replaced but not screwed all the way in. Cleaned up the connector as it had some corrosion on it. reattached TV reception is fine at least in my driveway. Thanks for all the pointers.
You can buy small tubes of dielectric grease and smear a little on the connection and threads. Then next time you need to take it apart, it will go easy, and still make good connections. I use it lots around any connection that could be exposed to the elements.

https://www.maxwarehouse.com/product...t=Low%20Margin

Tags
antenna, problem