Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

TV Conversion

I have a 2008 Allegro Open Road 34TGA with the old CRT type TV's. I'm getting ready to start a conversion to a 32" LED up front. I have seen several posts concerned with this project on various brands of MH's but none that were specific to my model. The first problem is how to remove the old set without destroying the enclosure. Does anyone have specifics as to how many screws/bolts must be removed and in what order and where they are located. If anyone has seen this info posted somewhere else please let me know. Some pics wouldn't hurt either. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Randy Stuart
Rfstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alot varies, a photo of the front of the TV would help.

On many there is a wood "Frame" like a picture frame, it will have some round "knobs" (Screw hole plugs) you start by removing them (Carefully, padded pliars) and the screws behind them, then you can remove said "Frame". You will have to replace this the new TV won't fit right but do not toss it... yet.

Now you should see the mounts on the TV itself, I hope. But there are many different mounts and quite a few cases two different same make/model the TV may be mounted differently.

Once you have the old set out (I do recommend two people on this) you can put the new one in place, It will be either shorter, or wider since they changed the screen format, no way is it going to be a perfect fit.. My choice would be to mount it high (Adding a shelf or using a swing arm wall mount) and then build either a door or a drawer below it for storage of DVD's or CD's or whatever.. That's what I'm going to do (Well I may move a DVR down there and otherwise re-arrange some stuff but that's the basic idea) I'm going to end up with CD/DVD storage SOMEWHERE.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
paz

The way Tiffin installed the wood frame around their CRT TVs in 2005-2006 (I don't know for sure, but I assume 2007 should be the same) is with screws through the walls of the cabinets on either side of the TV. The frame has two "wings" on it that extend between the vertical cabinet walls and the sides of the TV itself. There should be 2 screws on each side.

On our motorhome, the dark-colored screws (one at the top and one at the bottom of each side) hold the cabinets together, and the light-colored screws (located near the bottom of each side cabinet) held the frame in. The screws for the frame are very long. Don't worry if you take out the wrong ones - the cabinet will not fall down. It is screwed to a metal plate in the roof.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm doing this right now with my '04 Damon Daybreak. Mine is installed behind a plastic face frame and the screws are visible behind the face frame on the underside is vinyl covered and the screws are behind vinyl covered snap on covers. the TV was held in by screws thru steel brackets directly into the plastic TV cabinet. the conversion of the space from a 19"square into a 32" 16x9 format is going to be fun while incorporating the wall mount and still being able to open the two cabinets on the right and left. I'll try to get back in here and send updates in the next few weeks as the project progresses.
Peace,
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
paz

Randy, any luck getting the old TV out? How about an update.

Sorry I don't have any photos of how the frame was held in place, but our blog post on my front LCD TV installation may help with some other details. Our motorhomes should be somewhat similar.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Paz
I have not started the project as yet. Still gathering info. I found your write up and plan on following your basic procedure. I'm waiting until after the first of the year. We have a New Years trip planned and dont want to have to deal with exposed wires and such. I think my tv cabinet area is a little taller and narrower than yours so that the new 32" will overlap on sides and leave a little space on top or bottom depending on how it goes. Thanks for all the pics and info.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfstuart View Post
Paz
I have not started the project as yet. Still gathering info. I found your write up and plan on following your basic procedure. I'm waiting until after the first of the year. We have a New Years trip planned and dont want to have to deal with exposed wires and such. I think my tv cabinet area is a little taller and narrower than yours so that the new 32" will overlap on sides and leave a little space on top or bottom depending on how it goes. Thanks for all the pics and info.
Good luck, and try to give us some photos when you get it done.

BTW, I installed our TV within about 2" of the ceiling. I'm glad I put it that high because if we don't turn the front seats around (and we seldom do) the seat back would block the very bottom of the screen when I lie on the couch to watch if the TV were much lower.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
We replaced our front television earlier in the year. Once the outside frame came off with the two screws on each side it was easy to get the TV out. As mentioned, it's best to have four hands for the removal.

We mounted a board to the sidewalls of the enclosure toward the front and then added a mount to the board. The TV is 27 inch and is outside of the enclosure towards the top. This room left on the shelf is perfact for the Dish receiver and the DVD player.

To make it look clean I used a sheet of black foam board and cut it to fit snug in the enclosure and around the receiver and DVD. It looks clean and makes it easy to access behind the components if needed.

I have seen some posts of some very talented folks that have made beautiful enclosures and frames for their new televisions. Being on the road and not skilled in woodworking this method worked great for me.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: After a couple of HD installations I have decided that a TV mount is not the way to go. Rather a faceframe to match the cabinets provides a mount for the TV set that can be secured with a couple of blocks on the sides. A front TV doesn't normally need to be turned on a mount anyway and I think that trying to make a mount look good are realloy not successful. Hey the original was hard mounted. Use HDMI cables and the optical TV sound output to feed the surround system and you're there.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
Hi Ho: After a couple of HD installations I have decided that a TV mount is not the way to go. Rather a faceframe to match the cabinets provides a mount for the TV set that can be secured with a couple of blocks on the sides. A front TV doesn't normally need to be turned on a mount anyway and I think that trying to make a mount look good are realloy not successful. Hey the original was hard mounted. Use HDMI cables and the optical TV sound output to feed the surround system and you're there.
Be careful boxing an LCD TV in. They give off more heat than you think, so if you do frame it in, make sure there is provision for ventilation.

I, too, recommend not using a swivel mount. You really don't need it to swivel, and a swivel mount means you have to have some way of tying the TV down when traveling.

That being said, they do make commercial mounts that don't swivel like the one I used from Lowe's pictured below. The assembled mount is on the left, and one still in the package is on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front TV_0008-1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	30255
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Did this upgrade about a year ago on my 2006 Open Road 32. As mentioned above, at least on the 2006, the outside trim is secured with two "wings" that are screwed in. The screws are located just inside the compartment doors on each side of the TV. I used this frame as the base for my new mount. I built a plywood box to fit the TV opening and mounted it approximately 4" from the front. I was then able to install a TV wall mount to the plywood. I placed several large holes in the plywood to allow heat to escape which also allowed for the TV power and cable wires. The original frame was then slide back in place creating the impression that the TV was part of the original installation. There is about a 2" gap below and above the TV, but I was able to match the cabinet stain to improve the appearance.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #12

I have a 2008 43QRP- I have replaced two of the four TVS
I purchased all new HDMI cables as the Blue Ray Devises will not work on installed cables

Replacing the TVs is not a problem
Don several on various friends coaches
JMSUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

TV conversion update

Update
I got bored and decided to start project. I got the old set out . The only problem was removing the 4-4" coffin screws that held the trim piece in place. I made the mistake of using a drill with screw driver bit and rounded out the screw heads on 2 of them. Plan b involved a small set of visegrips and borring the hole out with a drill bit. Luckily the damage will be inside cabinet out of site. My original plan was to mount a piece of plywood over the entire opening and mount the TV on a low profile metal slide type mount. The plan has been totally changed. I found a 32" HD LED flat screen that fits perfectly/snug horizontally inside the existing enclosure. There is +- 8" of open area above the TV if I set it on the bottom of the cabinet. This area would make a good cabinet/drawer for remotes or whatever. I like the idea of the TV being supported by the cabinet as well as a mount attached to the back of the set. The heavy duty mount that I obtained was much heavier than I needed and would have been a lot more trouble to mount. I have ordered a light weight mount that will be much easier to use. The problem is finding a mount with the 200mmX 200mm spacing on the TV. I have taken pictures and plan on posting them if someone will tell me how. I can send them by e-mail if someone is interested in seeing them before I get them posted. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfstuart View Post
Update
I got bored and decided to start project. I got the old set out . The only problem was removing the 4-4" coffin screws that held the trim piece in place. I made the mistake of using a drill with screw driver bit and rounded out the screw heads on 2 of them. Plan b involved a small set of visegrips and borring the hole out with a drill bit. Luckily the damage will be inside cabinet out of site. My original plan was to mount a piece of plywood over the entire opening and mount the TV on a low profile metal slide type mount. The plan has been totally changed. I found a 32" HD LED flat screen that fits perfectly/snug horizontally inside the existing enclosure. There is +- 8" of open area above the TV if I set it on the bottom of the cabinet. This area would make a good cabinet/drawer for remotes or whatever. I like the idea of the TV being supported by the cabinet as well as a mount attached to the back of the set. The heavy duty mount that I obtained was much heavier than I needed and would have been a lot more trouble to mount. I have ordered a light weight mount that will be much easier to use. The problem is finding a mount with the 200mmX 200mm spacing on the TV. I have taken pictures and plan on posting them if someone will tell me how. I can send them by e-mail if someone is interested in seeing them before I get them posted. Merry Christmas everyone!
Be careful mounting the TV sitting on the bottom of the cabinet. If you like to watch TV lying on the couch, the back of the front seats may block the bottom of the screen unless you always turn the chairs around.