RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

TV Removal

I have a 2008 32LA and was thinking of removing the front CRT TV and putting in a larger LCD TV. The wood trim has no visible way of being removed (no screws or plugs).

Any idea how to remove the trim?

smeg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most installations have screws from the inside of adjoining cabinet, covered with the woodgrain paper. Pull these screws and carefully remove trim boards. (most are not real wood). I rebuilt the interior box for a flat screen TV and mounted a wall type mount on a 3/4 in. plywood crossbar, screwed to sides with an aluminum "L" bracket. Very solid now. good luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
paz

There should be 4 screws visible on the sides of the adjacent cabinets next to the center TV. On our Allegro Bay, there are 2 dark-colored screws on each side (one high and one low) with round heads that hold the cabinets together. There were 2 silver screws lower in each side cabinet that held the frame. The frame has 2 "wings" that slide back along the inside of the TV cabinet that those long, silver screws fasten into.

After you remove the 4 screws holding the frame, you may need to gently pry and/or wiggle the frame a bit to remove it.

With the frame off, you will be able to see a couple more wood blocks holding the TV in place.

CAUTION: The TV weighs about 65 lbs. It will be above your head, and it is big and awkward. Get help lifting it down unless you are a weightlifter.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

And the second person helps to unplug the wires on the back, and unthread the power cord.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg99 View Post
I have a 2008 32LA and was thinking of removing the front CRT TV and putting in a larger LCD TV. The wood trim has no visible way of being removed (no screws or plugs).

Any idea how to remove the trim?

One other caution. When I replaced my CRT, my helper and I struggled mightily trying to get the TV out. The problem wasn't lifting it over the retaining bar -- someone had installed long screws from the back of the frame into the TV itself. No amount of pulling or prying would budge it until we discovered those screws. Then it was easy.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I recently did this same task.....of changing out both the old TV's for new flat screens....in our Phaeton. Thats correct.....there are 4 screws in the adjacent cabinets in front. Remove them and gently pry out the frame and the two attached " wings ".....then the TV will slide out. Becareful its heavy. The back set is obvious.....remove the wood plugs ...then the screws.....the frame falls off....then slide out the TV

When I was looking at replacement flat screens.....I found that Jensen makes an RV unit that has a metal frame ( rather then plastic )....and the circuit boards are protected ( epoxy coated ) to withstand the constant change in temperature and moisture problems. Well worth the extra $$$$.....

Good luck........
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

I wondered what the difference was on the RV and standard TV was. We looked into pulling the TV out of has rig as his does not have a digital tuner and that is one more box we had to add along with the WDTV and new blueray player.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Takes two people in most cases. When we switched out the front TV in ours it was a monster. Back bedroom was taken care of solo, but that 1st drop on the front TV is a big one. Be careful.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Here's the facts on the Jensen RV LCD.

Jensen LCD TV 32 Made for RV - $844.00

A bit more $$$$ then a standard home TV......but at least it will not end up in your lap ......while your driving down the road.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
tv removal

I have Winnebago Adventurer 2004 38R I am trying to remove the TV. The TV is in a cabinet behind the passenger chair There is a cabinet below that it sits on I have foud two screws in the bottom cabinet and no other screws to loosen or remove,, Can any one help Thanks
MEDIC4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC4U View Post
I have Winnebago Adventurer 2004 38R I am trying to remove the TV. The TV is in a cabinet behind the passenger chair There is a cabinet below that it sits on I have foud two screws in the bottom cabinet and no other screws to loosen or remove,, Can any one help Thanks
First off,

I don't have any experience with Winnebagos, but you might try posting your question in the Winnebago Owners Forum a couple of lines down the main page from this forum.

Good luck with your project. Sometimes those fasteners can be very difficult to find. The manufacturers deliberately hide them so they don't show, but then us owners have to wonder where they are when it comes time for service or an upgrade.

paz is offline   Reply With Quote