RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #1

TV Repeater Operation Question

I have a question about the TV IR repeater, it drives me nuts. My 2018 Allegro RED 33AA has 4 TV's, 3 inside plus an external one. All TV's are the same brand and a single remote will operate any one of them. When using a remote to turn either the lounge TV or the cockpit TV the other TV comes on too. When changing channels or adjusting volume on one TV the other TV will turn on (usually on a different channel). Sometimes the bedroom TV joins in on the fun so it is possible to have all 3 inside TV's on with different channels being displayed. Is this normal? The outside TV doesn't seem to respond the same way? All 4 TV's have a small box mounted on them or in close proximity that appears to be the receiver for the repeater system. The current process is to turn on a TV or in this case the cockpit & lounge TV and maybe bedroom TV, then find what I want to watch on the preferred TV and manually turn off the unwanted TV (except the cockpit TV which has no access to the TV manual controls which requires a bit more elaborate process to watch). I only need the surround sound/blue ray player to be controlled by the repeater. How can I make this annoying behavior stop? I'm guessing the repeater is in the cabinet along with HDMI boxes, correct? Is there a way to disconnect all but the SS/blue ray player?

Thanks for any & all suggestions,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

A properly positioned piece(s) of black tape will prevent your TVs from receiving the reflected signals. It's a trial and error process, but the idea is to create a very narrow opening for the TV to receive any IR signals. I've done it and it works.

BTW, the repeater system has nothing to do with your issue.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I see now that the repeater has 2 outputs to operate 2 devices. In my case the home theater receiver and an unused one.
I need to ponder the reflection thing a bit. Not nuts about black tape on front of the TV's.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The IR repeater is not the issue, it's the signal from the remote to same brand TVs in the same receiving area. I've learned the technique of using my hand or my body to block signals to the TV I don't want to come on or change. The only way around this problem is to use the tape as mentioned or change the TV out to a different brand. The outside TV doesn't respond because it's not "seeing" the IR signal from the remote from inside. The IR repeater only affects the BluRay player and a satellite receiver if you have one. The little boxes under each TV are just receivers that send the signal to the IR blaster in the AV cabinet which relays it to the BluRay or satellite.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Drove me crazy the first few times we used the coach and I considered unplugging the front TV. I found that f0r the TV at the rear of the living area, if I pointed the remote at the molding at the rear of the sofa slide out the front TV was not affected and at the cabinet door to the right of the front TV the rear TV was not affected. Never had the bedroom TV affected unless I pointed the remote toward the bedroom.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #6

This is awesome! I don't feel bad now. Looks like our process of standing on the the right foot, holding remote in left hand and pointing the remote at the ceiling just right of the lounge tv is right on :-) I think it is a LG brand thing. My previous MH had Samsung TVs in an almost identical configuration and they never behaved this way.