Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Talking Type of trailer to tow?

Hi! I would like to purchase a trailer to have the option to tow either a golf cart OR my 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Some places we go it’s nice to just have a golf cart to cruise around in, others we want to get out and explore the city and beyond. What is the best kind of trailer to purchase for this? Any certain brand recommendations?

I have not set up my Jeep for flat towing or a brake system, unfortunately that money tree I planted in my back yard hasn’t bloomed yet so I’m trying to come up with the best solution to tow either one of my toys and still make only one large purchase. ;-)

I have a Phaeton 40 QBH. Any advice is appreciated!
Christina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
WE have two Zizzo folding bikes that we use to cruise around. Much cheaper than a golf cart, not as heavy and it is exercise. If we don;t ride the bikes, we walk with the dog.

I try to ride a minimum of 5 miles a day as it keeps the knees limber.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
PKI

There are numerous vehicle hauling trailers. The Aluma brand sells a viable unit. The Featherlite trailers are a bit more expensive, but quite nice. There are some special application trailers that squat for vehicle loading. For a bit more of an investment, you can go with the secunity of an enclosed box trailer.

You can certainly purchase a steel construction trailer with a solid wood deck that will haul the Jeep and remain under the maximum tow weight for your coach. That is the least expensive solution for your application. Available from about every trailer sales company.

Me, I'd tow the Jeep flat and forget the golf cart. If I had to have something to tow the cart, I'd get a tilt bed Aluma single axle utility trailer.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina19 View Post
Hi! I would like to purchase a trailer to have the option to tow either a golf cart OR my 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Some places we go it’s nice to just have a golf cart to cruise around in, others we want to get out and explore the city and beyond. What is the best kind of trailer to purchase for this? Any certain brand recommendations?

I have not set up my Jeep for flat towing or a brake system, unfortunately that money tree I planted in my back yard hasn’t bloomed yet so I’m trying to come up with the best solution to tow either one of my toys and still make only one large purchase. ;-)

I have a Phaeton 40 QBH. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi Christina:

I do have some good experience with trailers that I have purchased in the last 5 or 6 years. Actually 4 different trailers. I am very partial to all aluminum trailers, they cost more, are much lighter than steel, and don't rust. ATC makes some great aluminum trailers.

But here is the thing. I personally think it will cost you less to set up your Jeep 4 door for flat towing with a brake system than to buy a big enough trailer to hall the Jeep and or golf cart. Remember we are talking trailers not a tow dolly. Also a trailer that size will have it's own breaking system, witch means you should have some kind of controller installed in the coach to set the gain on your trailer breaking system.

Starting from scratch, it will cost you approximately $4K to set up the Jeep with Tow bar, Tow bracket for Jeep, break lighting set up electrical, and a auxiliary breaking system. I went with Blue Ox for Two bar, and Stay & Play breaking system. Bought and had installed for about $4k. You may pay more or pay less.

My current enclosed aluminum trailer is a smaller 12X6 ft. I paid about $7K. I also have an all aluminum open trailer with rails, small one 10X5 ft. with loading ramp, that cost just about $3K. You will need a much bigger trailer to put your 4 door Jeep on it.

I have been flat towing Jeeps for years. I have a 2017 Sahara that I flat tow now.

You have a DP so you will not have a problem with the coach pulling the trailer.

Plant a second money tree and see if you can flat tow.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

You will have to ask yourself do you want to tow both at the same time?

I have an all aluminum enclosed 8x20 with a 4 ft v ... it would be great for a car or golf cart not both

If you want to tow just one I would think a 16 foot would work,

If you want to tow both.. maybe a 22ft Open could work , a 24ft would be my choice.

Your best bet is an all aluminum trailer for weight, resale, rust

A tow dolly is easy to store , and some can tow both car and golf cart single axle and expensive can not back up easily

A trailer can be backed up if needed .

Get the 5200 lbs axels that way you will have plenty of payLoad if you get a steel or aluminum Trailer.

I have an order in for 24 open car aluminum trailer.

Best of luck in your decision
Old 06-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #6

I have a Featherlite trailer I use for a variety of purposes. Sold my pickup to buy it since my Highlander can tow it easily and carry everything my pu could. We have a Prius Prime which is not flat towable so sometimes haul it on the trailer.

Analyze what you want to use it for and see which model/type fits best. If everything will be lightweight a single axle trailer can be a great option. I used a friends single axle trailer to tow a Miata on a long trip and it was perfect. Very light weight.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thank you for taking the time to reply, this is very useful information! I’m still researching what to do, now I’m leaning more towards a tow dolly or small trailer Like you mentioned below just to tow the golf cart and maybe set up the Jeep to flat tow in a year or two.

Thanks, again!
Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Christina:

I do have some good experience with trailers that I have purchased in the last 5 or 6 years. Actually 4 different trailers. I am very partial to all aluminum trailers, they cost more, are much lighter than steel, and don't rust. ATC makes some great aluminum trailers.

But here is the thing. I personally think it will cost you less to set up your Jeep 4 door for flat towing with a brake system than to buy a big enough trailer to hall the Jeep and or golf cart. Remember we are talking trailers not a tow dolly. Also a trailer that size will have it's own breaking system, witch means you should have some kind of controller installed in the coach to set the gain on your trailer breaking system.

Starting from scratch, it will cost you approximately $4K to set up the Jeep with Tow bar, Tow bracket for Jeep, break lighting set up electrical, and a auxiliary breaking system. I went with Blue Ox for Two bar, and Stay & Play breaking system. Bought and had installed for about $4k. You may pay more or pay less.

My current enclosed aluminum trailer is a smaller 12X6 ft. I paid about $7K. I also have an all aluminum open trailer with rails, small one 10X5 ft. with loading ramp, that cost just about $3K. You will need a much bigger trailer to put your 4 door Jeep on it.

I have been flat towing Jeeps for years. I have a 2017 Sahara that I flat tow now.

You have a DP so you will not have a problem with the coach pulling the trailer.

Plant a second money tree and see if you can flat tow.

Jim P.
Christina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina19 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply, this is very useful information! I’m still researching what to do, now I’m leaning more towards a tow dolly or small trailer Like you mentioned below just to tow the golf cart and maybe set up the Jeep to flat tow in a year or two.

Thanks, again!
Christina
Jeep doesn't recommend dolly towing the Wrangler. I tow a JK with a Curt 7,500 tow bar (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/70001) $650. Using a Rock Jock Tow Plate (https://www.quadratec.com/products/9...SABEgIV9PD_BwE). $275. Also a plug in Wire Harness (https://www.curtmfg.com/flat-towing/harnesses) $70, and a Brake Buddy Classic (Brake Buddy® - Making The RV Towing Experience Safe, Simple, and Hassle Free? | Brake Buddy®) $825.

That's $1,820 total for flat towing as I installed everything myself. It was very easy to install.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #9

We bought an 18ft open car hauler and hauled a 4 door Rubicon and 2 motorcycles on it. I could have loaded a golf cart where the bikes were if i had one. Nice thing about a trailer is being able to back up. We did flat tow the Heep to Alaska though.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2012 Phaeton 40 QBH and tow a Titan Stealth trailer. The rectangle section of the trailer is 26' and the front V section is 32". This trailer has 6k axles and I run LT light truck tires on it. I wanted the higher load capacity tires as I've seen too many along the road with blow outs due to heavy loads. My trailer loaded with our Honda GL1800 trike and wife's KIA Sorento weighs in at 8900 lbs well below the trailer capacity. I did have to have 5" high ramps built in so the KIA door would open into the escape door opening. I pull the trailer from North Dakota to the Lake Havasu area every winter and the Phaeton handles is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0276.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	289525  
GrandpadaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:47 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you need to take a golf cart with you plus a vehicle I think the easiest answer is to sell or park the jeep and buy a half ton p/u and load the Golf Cart in the bed. I did that for a few years with a chevy 1/2 ton and hauled my side x side in the back. The side x side was considerably heavier than a golf cart, harder to load but worked fine. Golf cart would be easy to load and haul.

Tags
tow, trailer