RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Upgrade to newer RV

We are looking to upgrade to a newer used RV, we would like to purchase in AZ but will travel to nearby states to get the RV we like. We would like to find a Tiffin bus in the 2008-2011 range. We are looking for recommendations that is comparable to a Tiffin if we canít find one. Any recommendations for dealers in AZ, TX, and NM that you have dealt with and would go back to them to purchase again?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
"Dealt with and go back to" is a tough qualifier. If you live in AZ spend time with LaMesa and Lazy Days and see what they have and if you are comfortable with them. That said, do not hesitate to work the internet, you are really just a quick Southwest ticket away from about half the country if you are in AZ. Unless you have a trade-in rest, try to buy direct from an owner who is either trading up to a new high dollar coach, or who has "aged out" of travel in his coach. We found our 2007 Allegro Bus listed on the net with a broker in Boston. The Bus actually lived about 10 miles from us in the Galveston TX area. We bought it in 2010, have put 60,000 miles on in 8 travel seasons.

I recommend Allegro Bus that does not require DEF fuel additives. The Bus has an additional 50 gallons fuel, gives you a theoretical range of 1000 miles at 6.5 mpg. That is a big deal with the volitile fuel pricing out there. I am a 42 ft bus (43 actual) and have the tag axle which is great for stability and for payload capacity. Yes, tires are expensive. I am on a Freightliner chassis with the IFS, which is great. Phaeton is built on a beam front axle. Tolleson AZ has one of the very best Freightliner shops in the country. However the Spartan chassis offers a larger radiator which would be better than the Freightliner, but we have been over many 11,000 foot passes towing a Honda. Other general cautions for any Bus you consider are 1) Residential refrigerator; 2) Serious evaluation of the Aqua-hot system; 3) DOT age dates on every tire; 4) working checkout of the Satellite TV system. The old King Domes are junk, you can install a Winegard Travlr for about $1800. The old TVs are also junk, but many like ours have been replaced, saving about 100 pounds in the process. That's the high dollar stuff.

BTW I saw an earlier post of yours. The length of the Bus will be no issue. Longer wheelbase means better ride. The 60 degree wheel cut on the steer. Axle lets you maneuver in some really tight quarters. Again the tag axle is recommended. FYI the licensing regs in most states are based on weight, not length, that typically being 26,000 pounds. You are already there with a 38 footer.

Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

We bought a new 2008 BUS from La MESA Tucson and were very pleased with both the deal, general customer service, and service after the sale. I wouldn't go to La Mesa in Mesa if my life depended on it as they flat out lied to me about installing a jack under warranty, and when I checked they screwed up the install. Would have ripped the wiring out the first time I used it if I didn't check first and I has to do it right. La Mesa Yuma was about a 5 out of 10. They seemed to be somewhat indifferent when I talked to the sales folks and the same with the service folks. Tucson is one of the only service and paint folks in the country that I trust, but I still stay with them when they do the work. The service people there are VERY BUSY, so don't expect any drop in work, but I've never had a problem with working with them. Forget Lazy Days, as the sales folks didn't know much about the products they were selling. Just don't like their overall attitude, and I wouldn't like to try their service. BTW, I do about 90% of all my own service and repairs, and I put 75,000 miles on the 2008 Bus and have another 105,000 miles on my current Bus. Bought the 2013 at the Hershey RV show but wouldn't take it back to that dealer on a bet. Most of my experience at La Mesa Tucson, is from 2008 to 2012 so some things might have changed.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't leave Newmar out of your search.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank for all the post, I feel the more info I can get the better off I will be in finding our next RV.

Mr. D I will not rule out the Newmar in fact I am looking a 2013 Entegra Coach Aspire 42DEQ Luxury Diesel W/ 450HP, Aqua Hot The only thing that concerns me are the miles, 2,817 posted on add.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

Another plus for La Mesa in Tucson. Their service is outstanding. The sales and service people are friendly and helpful. We purchased the last three Tiffins from a dealer in WI, but spent 10 winters in Benson. La Mesa was happy to do warranty work on both our 2011 Phaeton and our current 2013 Bus. The Bus will come with IFS which gives the best ride and handling. After having it, I will never consider a coach with a solid I-Beam front axle. Tiffins quality and service are hard to beat.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the information about La Mesa in Tucson, I will keep checking their website to see what they have on hand. I would prefer to purchase local
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that you will have to be open to several floor plans, colors, and options if you stay in a small search area. I'm not knocking it at all though.

We settled on either a Newmar Dutchstar 4369 or a Tiffin Allegro Bus from 2014 to 2016 and a price range we were comfortable with. We also insisted on a dinette vs a booth. When we got to this point there where 4-6 coaches of each brand in North America. We ended up buying from fine people in, you guessed it, Mesa AZ.

We flew out once to look over the coach and they took us on a test drive and then, after agreeing on a price and having a complete inspection, we flew one way to pick her up.

Good luck with your search and hope you find the perfect rig.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Thanks for the information about La Mesa in Tucson, I will keep checking their website to see what they have on hand. I would prefer to purchase local
You might try calling them periodically.

In the winter of 2007-8 we went to La Mesa just looking to see what was available on their lot. We got the usual tour and walk through and the salesman asked just what items we were looking for. I gave him a list DW and I had jotted down, and since they had nothing even close on the lot, told them we'd be in the area for the next 3 months in case anything came in that might be close. We parted on good terms and headed to Quartzsite and other places. A couple of weeks later, the phone rang, and it was La Mesa. They said they just got a unit in that was close if we'd care to look at it, they had it on the lot. We drove over and found the 2008 Bus they had was near to what we wanted, but it didn't have a range/oven we had to have, and had a dishwasher we didn't want. We got talking to them and they said they could order a brand new countertop from Tiffin and do the conversion for us on the spot if we were serious. We also found out that THEY BROUGHT THE COACH WE WERE LOOKING AT IN FROM THEIR SALES LOCATION NEAR ATLANTA, GEORGIA, just for us to examine... No obligation on us. Long story short, we agreed with the changes, they did them and we owned a new Tiffin.

Moral - What's on the lot might not be the only thing they have, so call them.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Upgrade to newer RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
You might try calling them periodically.

In the winter of 2007-8 we went to La Mesa just looking to see what was available on their lot. We got the usual tour and walk through and the salesman asked just what items we were looking for. I gave him a list DW and I had jotted down, and since they had nothing even close on the lot, told them we'd be in the area for the next 3 months in case anything came in that might be close. We parted on good terms and headed to Quartzsite and other places. A couple of weeks later, the phone rang, and it was La Mesa. They said they just got a unit in that was close if we'd care to look at it, they had it on the lot. We drove over and found the 2008 Bus they had was near to what we wanted, but it didn't have a range/oven we had to have, and had a dishwasher we didn't want. We got talking to them and they said they could order a brand new countertop from Tiffin and do the conversion for us on the spot if we were serious. We also found out that THEY BROUGHT THE COACH WE WERE LOOKING AT IN FROM THEIR SALES LOCATION NEAR ATLANTA, GEORGIA, just for us to examine... No obligation on us. Long story short, we agreed with the changes, they did them and we owned a new Tiffin.

Moral - What's on the lot might not be the only thing they have, so call them.

They have a RV in Phoenix that we are looking closely at, if they brought one from GA for you to look at maybe they will bring the one we are looking at down to Tucson. to save us a trip up to Phoenix.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To follow up on the post, I would like to thank all that posted especially Casher and Pigman1 about La Mesz. We found a unit we liked in Phoenix and at the suggestion of Pigman1 we talked with La Mesa in Tucson about moving the unit to Tucson to do an inspection. They said it couldn't be done without a comment to purchase. The salesman said that they did it in the past but was burnt by too many backing out of the sale. We have put a deposit down on an
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP with the agreement of purchase if it passes inspection. I am sure I will be posting a bunch of question on how to use the new RV.

Tags
upgrade