Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Upgrading my BluRay Player

So, I had the home theater in our last Coach set up the way I want it, and now I want to do the same in our Bus. We never watch DVDs anymore and I find the installed LG DVD player/theater very limited. I want a traditional AV Receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs for our Apple TV and Media Player. That way we can stream our movies and watch Directv Now like we do at home. I believe I can just use the existing HDMI output from the DVD player installed now for my output for the new AV receiver and everything should be fine. Seems pretty straight forward. I am curious about what others have done for an AV Receiver upgrade.

Our 2016 37AP came with the Direct TV receiver and the LG BluRay player both with HDMI outputs and I won't ever use either one. Ideas are greatly appreciated. I have to measure that opening to figure out what will fit in there.
skeet4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Where do you expect to get internet with enough bandwidth to stream movies? It won't be campground wifi and you find out quickly that cellular based internet services are very expensive and don't have the connection speed and robustness that you will need in many parts of the country.

You can easily do what you want but be aware of the speaker impedance and matching your amplifier output. Heat might be an issue and so an additional fan in the cabinet might be warranted.

In our coach, we don't use the Bluray player. Since Netflix stopped the DVD service we stopped using it. We don't use the surround sound feature either as it really doesn't sound all that great. We've added a soundbar to the salon TV and in the bedroom, we just use the TV sound.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

I can still get DVD on Netflix by the way. https://dvd.netflix.com/Subscribe/En...src=STRWEB_NAV
Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, can't remember the last time I used a traditional DVD player. As for streaming, we do it all the time. We have 100 channels on our Directv Now streamed across the internet on our cell. My wife has AT&T and I have unlimited Verizon Data. We have yet to be anywhere we could not stream TV in our RV. Since AT&T owns Direct TV, streaming Directv Now on AT&T does not count against your data plan. If Verizon is better wherever we are I use that to stream TV.

A 128gb Thumb Drive will hold about 30 movies, and we simply transfer movies from our media center at home to a thumb drive to watch in the RV.

I just ordered a Denon AV Receiver since that is what I use at home. Small enough to fit in the cabinet and tie into the system in the RV, then I will plug my media player and Apple TV into that.

The age of traditional Cable & Sat TV is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I'll keep you posted on progress.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Separate question... I have been trying to find a easy way to use my Apple TV with my unlimited old att plan using the Apple TV and can't, it connects to the phone via wifi and if wifi is active on the phone it defaults to that and not the phones cell network. Under my unlimited plan I can't hot spot the phone, part of my grandfathered unlimited plan so I hardware the tv to the phone. And I can put the phone screen on the tv that way .
Does the directv att link allow phone streaming ? I had read a complaint somewhere that wasn't possible i must have misunderstood or maybe it's because I'm using a iPhone.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Both our phones have hotspots, so with the hotspot the conventional connection with WiFi works fine. Have you tried to just airdrop your phone screen to the Apple TV without a physical connection. You should be able to swipe up on your iPhone and tell it to mirror your phone to the Apple TV without a physical connection.

See if that works. Until I get the new receiver for the RV I can't try it, but will try it while the Apple TV is connected in the house. Should represent the same thing.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet4me View Post
Both our phones have hotspots, so with the hotspot the conventional connection with WiFi works fine. Have you tried to just airdrop your phone screen to the Apple TV without a physical connection. You should be able to swipe up on your iPhone and tell it to mirror your phone to the Apple TV without a physical connection.

See if that works. Until I get the new receiver for the RV I can't try it, but will try it while the Apple TV is connected in the house. Should represent the same thing.
Thanks , Yes I can connect via airplay .. but content from Netflix YouTube etc is blocked and not permitted to mirror. Since my legacy ATT unlimited plan blocks hotspoting to the iPhone , Direct connection is the only way via apples hdmi to lightning adapter .. it works .. just not as tangle free
Good luck with your project , we to use our blue ray very little.. I'm replacing it with my PlayStation which has a blue ray built in.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I added a Sony Blue Ray to the extra HDMI cable in the AV cabinet.. For streaming we use Verizon Mifi and have setup a internal wifi repeater within the coach using Ubiquite NanoStation loco M2 Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE and the Airgateway Wireless access point.
stiffde is offline   Reply With Quote