Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Mr. Banker, for motivating me to get familiar with border crossings we will be soon making.

In our 43' MH, we intend to cross:
from Sweetgrass, MT to Coutts, AB (IH-15 to Alberta Highway 4)

from Aldergrove, BC to Lynden, WA (BC Highway 13 to WA Route 539)

After reading about the narrow lanes at the Pacific crossing in BC, I'd like ask the members if they have any feedback about the border crossings we intend to use.
GoingRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #30
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingRD View Post
-- snip -- from Aldergrove, BC to Lynden, WA (BC Highway 13 to WA Route 539)
-- snip --
Can not offer info on the Montana crossing, but we came through the Lynden crossing with a 41ft TT/SUV rig. They did search the trailer and complained about us not declaring the eggs in the frig, even though they were not on the list of foods excluded from entry at that time. Give them a complete list of everything you are taking across.

They may take a closer look, because folks think it's small enough that they won't do their job.

We chose the entry point, because it was easier to access than the I5 gate. If you don't like two lane roads, do not cross here. It is a bit tight .... small town access and small crossing station. They do not have a configuration that allows getting into their covered inspection parking, so they direct you to a parking spot on the driveway that sidetracks the ag side.

We also were only in Canada for a few days. We planned to stay longer, but got rained out. That may have been a trigger. Being from CA may also be a concern, or it may be a running joke to blame CA crops for strict food exclusions.

Good luck with your trip.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #31
dp7

We crossed last week at the Coutts station. We filled out the ArriveCAN online the night before. Border agent had all of the info on his system when we arrived. He did not ask for the paper printout we had ready & complimented us on filling out the ArriveCAN forms correctly. He only asked to see passports & asked the usual questions. Did not ask about any food onboard. The lane width was not unusually narrow. Overall a very simple & quick process.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yellow Card

Thanks for the feedback about the border crossings.

I've just learned of something called "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" (the Yellow Card).

I tend to think it's probably not necessary because State Farm and AAA are well known enough that just the regular proof of insurance I keep in the vehicles should suffice. Having said that, I might just ask for one to have with me.

From the Metro Vancouver Convention and Visitors Bureau: https://www.destinationvancouver.com...ols/insurance/

All United States motorists are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Interprovince Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This card is available only in the United States through US insurance agents. All provinces in Canada require that visiting motorists produce evidence of financial responsibility should they be involved in an accident.

Another source: https://www.ccir-ccrra.org/PrivatePassengerAutomobiles

The Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Power of Attorney and Undertaking (PAU) was established in 1964. Generally, this document is filed by insurers in the United States who issue motor vehicle liability policies outside of Canada.

An insurer that files a PAU protects its insureds who drive their private passenger vehicles in Canada. Companies which have filed a PAU can issue a Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card (commonly known as a "yellow card" or "Canadian ID Card") to their insureds for driving into Canada. These insurance cards are used as evidence of insurance coverage if stopped by enforcement officials or involved in an accident in Canada. In addition, signatories to the PAU agree to certain conditions if an insured is involved in a motor vehicle accident in Canada. For example, the company agrees to meet the minimum third party liability limits required in the province or territory where the accident took place. (In most Canadian jurisdictions, the compulsory third party liability limit is C$200,000.)
Old 06-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on Yellow Card - State Farm Yes, AAA No

Our autos are covered by AAA. I called and the agent said they do not provide the Yellow Cards (Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card). I had her ask her supervisor. Same answer. Asked her to speak with another. No, they do not issue anything except the US version. The agent said she would email me something that would verify that they do cover my autos in Canada.

Our MH is covered by State Farm. They sent me the Yellow Card-no problem.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #34
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingRD View Post
Thanks for the feedback about the border crossings.

I've just learned of something called "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" (the Yellow Card).

I tend to think it's probably not necessary because State Farm and AAA are well known enough that just the regular proof of insurance I keep in the vehicles should suffice. Having said that, I might just ask for one to have with me.

From the Metro Vancouver Convention and Visitors Bureau: https://www.destinationvancouver.com...ols/insurance/

All United States motorists are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Interprovince Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This card is available only in the United States through US insurance agents. All provinces in Canada require that visiting motorists produce evidence of financial responsibility should they be involved in an accident.

Another source: https://www.ccir-ccrra.org/PrivatePassengerAutomobiles

The Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Power of Attorney and Undertaking (PAU) was established in 1964. Generally, this document is filed by insurers in the United States who issue motor vehicle liability policies outside of Canada.

An insurer that files a PAU protects its insureds who drive their private passenger vehicles in Canada. Companies which have filed a PAU can issue a Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card (commonly known as a "yellow card" or "Canadian ID Card") to their insureds for driving into Canada. These insurance cards are used as evidence of insurance coverage if stopped by enforcement officials or involved in an accident in Canada. In addition, signatories to the PAU agree to certain conditions if an insured is involved in a motor vehicle accident in Canada. For example, the company agrees to meet the minimum third party liability limits required in the province or territory where the accident took place. (In most Canadian jurisdictions, the compulsory third party liability limit is C$200,000.)
We have Canadian coverage thru our US insurance companies. Don't have a yellow card nor were we asked for one during border crossing two weeks ago.

Tags
ada, canada