Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Used 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 800 miles away

We are looking at a used 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDh from an Individual owner not a dealer.
What are the concerns with these units?
I contacted Tiffin earlier in the week and asked about any recalls and the responded within an hour! Which was very impressive. So I emailed several more questions and again right back at me! I was so impressed these make me leaning towards this coach.
But it is almost 800 miles away and my wife isn't to up on the idea of it being that far away. I told her its not like buying a car you have to go where these are that you can afford.
I was going to hire a RV inspector to go look at it and still might. I think she want's to go look at it her self and I want to as well. We just both work full time.
Anyway what are things we need to be looking at when we go look at it?
I do have an RV checklist and I own my own body shop and have worked on vehicles for over 25 years and have camped all my life. So I will look it all over inside and out but wanting to know what problems you guys have had?
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Let us know where it is and maybe someone will be nearby and can take a quick initial look for you and get at least enough of an opinion as whether or not to proceed to the next step of hiring an inspector.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #3

Yep, where is it and we can see if someone close can get a quick look for you and see if there are anythings glaring before you spend money on a trip or an inspector?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
Yep, where is it and we can see if someone close can get a quick look for you and see if there are anythings glaring before you spend money on a trip or an inspector?
I just made another post to see if someone is in the Madison FL area willing to help me out to message me!
But still looking for any problems to look for!
Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #5

My only advice is when buying any brand RV with this age just plan on spending 10k the first year to fix and replace items that are not to your liking. These rigs have a lot of systems and even an inspection by a professional will not find all the issues. (Should still get inspection before purchase) I would take the drive and see unit before I had it inspected. If unit passes your inspection and layout works for DW then get inspection after agreeing on price and make sale contingent on it. Also I don’t care how well unit was cared for start with low ball offer. You can always go up. There are plenty of units out there and if the economy continues to go down prices on all units will drop. If it has been on market for a while sellers get tired of waiting on sale. Remember unit is 14 almost 15 model years old. Good luck in your search.

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #6

If you want to make sure the pricing is right, you may want to try this website:
WWW.RVPRICINGANDAPPRAISALS.COM

People who have used it have been pleased with the results.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
I live about 45 minutes from Madison, FL. I would not mind going and looking at the coach for you. I will be not be able to do so until Tuesday, March 17, as we are out of town.
Ramblingpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingpair View Post
I live about 45 minutes from Madison, FL. I would not mind going and looking at the coach for you. I will be not be able to do so until Tuesday, March 17, as we are out of town.
Awesome I sent you a message
Old 03-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you get the serial number, Tiffin should be able to tell you the status on any recall items. I have a 2011 Phaeton we recently purchased. On it there were 3 issues, the cap rails on the roof, the front driver’s slide floor and the wet bay floor. All 3 were done on ours. These went back a few model years, but not sure if ‘06 was involved. Tiffin can tell you.

I also asked the rep a few other questions and, while he did not give me the whole list of items worked on, he did note the coach had been to Red Bay for service several times and that it appeared to be well serviced.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
For some reason PM’s are not going through. Do you still need me to look at the RV? If so, give me your email address, and we can communicate that way.
Ramblingpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i know it may be a coincidence, but my neighbors are on winter break in mid florida in a tiffin of this vintage and its for sale as well.

if its theirs i can say its in darn good shape. had a genny rebuild end of last year,

i have driven it a few times and drives well.

is it grey or grey colors??
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i know it may be a coincidence, but my neighbors are on winter break in mid florida in a tiffin of this vintage and its for sale as well.

if its theirs i can say its in darn good shape. had a genny rebuild end of last year,

i have driven it a few times and drives well.

is it grey or grey colors??
What year is it? How many miles? Price?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingpair View Post
For some reason PM’s are not going through. Do you still need me to look at the RV? If so, give me your email address, and we can communicate that way.
I had another great guy go by and take a 20 minute video of it and send it to me! It looks nice now its just a matter of how to go and when to get to get there to get it! With all this stuff going on we don't think we want to travel down there or have someone bring it to us!???

Tags
phaeton, tiffin