Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Used Tiffin Price Discounts

We're ready to pull the trigger to buy a used 2015 38QRA. All the dealers list original MSRP on their websites even for used one or two year old RVs. But when pushed, they'll finally give a retail asking price, which is substantially lower. How much of a discount is typical off the asking price of a used unit? Any suggestions for my starting offer in terms of % of asking price?
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

just like buying anything used - make a offer and see if they'll take it. Dave
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #3

Just wondering if there is a minimum % or range of discount I can expect from dealers, e.g., 10%?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would offer *below* low retail by 10% at least.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
We're ready to pull the trigger to buy a used 2015 38QRA. All the dealers list original MSRP on their websites even for used one or two year old RVs. But when pushed, they'll finally give a retail asking price, which is substantially lower. How much of a discount is typical off the asking price of a used unit? Any suggestions for my starting offer in terms of % of asking price?
EVO-Bob
Have you tried Kings Campers in Wauasu, WI?
They are a one of the top rated Tiffin dealers and sell new and used rigs to people from all over the country
See: https://www.kingscampers.com/
And: King's Campers Review - Campers - Dealers in Wausau, WI - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Wisconsin
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If it is a used 2015 it should be substantially below list depending on condition. If it is a new 2015 then I would start with the idea of about 30% discount and see what they say. It never hurts to ask.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
If it is a used 2015 it should be substantially below list depending on condition. If it is a new 2015 then I would start with the idea of about 30% discount and see what they say. It never hurts to ask.
If it's a leftover 2015, I would start lower at least 35-40% discount, you can always go up, but it sure is tough to go lower after your first offer.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

Since you're looking at a used one.. and its fairly new... I would do the following..

I would try to find a remaining/left-over 2015 new unit.. try to find one via rvtrader.com.. Once you find you exactly/similar to the one you're looking at.. I would then take 33% off the MSRP price (that's the discount we were given on a 2016 at the Louisville RV show last weekend)...

At this point... if you can find a new 2015 similar to what you're looking at.. and you've done the 33% discount calculations... then you at least know what you can buy a new one with a full remaining warranty.. If it were me... I would look to take an additional 20% off the discounted new price if looking to buy a used one.. maybe even 25%... I guess you will need to figure out what you want to do.. but once the offer has been made, you won't be able to go lower...

If they come back and balk at that offer.. just let them know you've done your research and can buy a new one for $xx,xx and you'd just assume buy a new one if they're not willing to deal on the used one...

Always remember on used units.. that wasn't THE ONLY one ever made.. there'll be more down the road !!

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Here is a remaining new one: 2015 Tiffin Motorhomes ALLEGRO RED 38QRA, West Chester PA - - RVtrader.com

and here's a used one: 2015 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro RED 38QRA, Seffner FL - - RVtrader.com and they're asking $65,000 more than the new one..

Go figure !!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
EVO-Bob: You have had some good points expressed by fellow RVers, and here is my 2 Cents.
No two RV dealers price their pre-owned Rvs the same. Some price them close to the selling price - still room to negotiate, but not very much, i.e., take it or leave it. A good example would be MHSRV: they usually price theirs close to what they would sell. On the other hand, there are some (most are in this group) who will ask the sky, and you as a buyer should have done your homework and make your offer appropriately. Just to give you an example, over a year ago, there was a 2010 Zephyr at Johnson's RV in NC. It was listed for #$314K (I don't remember exact $s), I got them down to $225. Something like this at MHSRV would probably have been listed for around $235-$245K, and you could still offer for a bit less.
FWIW, a sales person once told me if you get a RV for 10% less than the lowest NADA Retail, as a rule of thumb, that may be a good price. Also, keep in mind that this would apply to all makes and models. Actually, at the time of our conversation we were talking about Entegras, and the sales person was working for an Entegra dealer.

BTW, one way to find out what coaches are selling for would be to go to MHSRV's site and look for the coaches that they have sold within the last year. Again, they wouldn't list the selling price, but will have a good idea.
I hope this helps!
Best of Luck!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #11

Used Tiffin Price Discounts

Thanks. The asking price for this 1.5 yr old unit is just below (~$7k) the MSRP for a new 2015 minus 33%. In fact I found a very similar leftover new 2015 listed at another dealer for a couple grand below the asking price of the one I'm looking at (but it doesn't have all the options I want on the used). So they haven't discounted much for a yr and 13k miles. I was hoping to get it in a range of 10% (min.) to 20% below this asking price. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
Thanks. The asking price for this 1.5 yr old unit is just below (~$7k) the MSRP for a new 2015 minus 33%. In fact I found a very similar leftover new 2015 listed at another dealer for a couple grand below the asking price of the one I'm looking at (but it doesn't have all the options I want on the used). So they haven't discounted much for a yr and 13k miles. I was hoping to get it in a range of 10% (min.) to 20% below this asking price. Does this sound reasonable?
Ok.. let me get this straight.. the USED one you're looking at is only ~ $7k below an already 33% discounted new one.. but the new one you're comparing doesn't have the same options as the used one you're looking at... correct?

Ok... my advice... I would try to find out what the cost's are for the differences in options.. at that point.. you would have a better indication how far under the 33% discount you're truly getting.. but to be honest.. I've heard on this forum many times.. don't get too caught up in "options" when pricing out a used rig..

For my money.. You're looking to buy a 1-1/2 old rig.. you have no warranty from the factory.. so, lets face it, its used in every capacity..

I would definitely want to speak to the previous owners so I could ask why they got rid of the RV... was it a lemon they were looking to dump?? and I wouldn't touch it for anything less than 20% to 25% off the asking price..

If you purchase it... you're on your own.... Good Luck

Remember, the most powerful tool you have in a negotiation is to get up and walk away.. it is the truest of barometers in a sales negotiation... if they call you back, you're in the drivers seat... if they don't, then they're either too greedy, or they're too deep into the rig and can't/won't meet your number... time to find another rig that meets your specifications
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

+1 for Kings Campers in Wisconsin. They along with a few dealers close to Tiffin are the best.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #14

You're interpretation is generally correct. This unit happens to have all features we want that are not often found on the other similar models. (In fact we've been watching for over 6 mos and can't find any other used 2015 models that have them like this)

In terms of talking to the previous sellers, I doubt I can make that happen as this is at a dealers lot. It looks like the case of snowbirds trying it for a year then selling or upgrading. Regardless, I intend to have a very thorough professional RV inspection before taking possession.

But you confirmed some of my original thinking that 20-25% off asking may not be unreasonable in this circumstance. I was trying not to low ball the offer excessively.

Tags
tiffin