RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Using Aquahot electric only

Is there a trick to using the Aquahot in electric only mode?
In an attempt to conserve diesel until next weekend, when I have time to pack up and pull out, I turned off the diesel boiler on our Aquahot, leaving the electric on, and now I have no hot water. I expected to have hot water, not unlimited, but I have nothing. Do I need to turn something else on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40FA830D-AD9D-4A33-BC4A-B10CD35E4E52.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	272907  

Ynowgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Check your 20 AMP breaker in the back of the coach. Mine was tripped when I got the coach. It was the farthest left on the panel.

lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront5 View Post
Check your 20 AMP breaker in the back of the coach. Mine was tripped when I got the coach. It was the farthest left on the panel.
Thanks, I didn’t even think about that.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We run our electric side all the time except when more hot water is needed for showers. Try pressing the Aquahot button directly above the diesel / electric buttons. It will take you to the aqua hot page of the spyder. Once there you can check status with faults button. If one shows up try using the reset button. Our 2020 45 OPP occasionally get a fan over limit
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyLadd View Post
We run our electric side all the time except when more hot water is needed for showers. Try pressing the Aquahot button directly above the diesel / electric buttons. It will take you to the aqua hot page of the spyder. Once there you can check status with faults button. If one shows up try using the reset button. Our 2020 45 OPP occasionally get a fan over limit
Yeah, I dug through those screens and even reset it, but there was no faults to begin with, and it shows that the electric is on (LOW)... I will post photos of those screens when I get back later. Will also check the breaker.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

My wife takes very hot showers and runs out of hot water on electric. I use diesel burner at times and sometimes gets warm on her then too
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #7

Could be your electric heating element isn't working. Could be a circuit breaker is tripped, or could be a bad heating element.
Your system should have a screen that shows the AC current being drawn (try the battery button) on each leg. Note what that current is, then turn the aqua hot electric heat on and look at the current again. One leg should be around 10A higher than before.
If it isn't, then the heating element isn't working. Assuming all switches are on, I would then check the voltage of the wires connected to the heating element.

Also, turn off the heat pumps. There shouldn't be any interconnection between asking for heat from the pumps and the aqua hot at the same time, but give it a try.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
When i bought our coach from the previous owner the electric side did not work. We have a switch over the drivers seat. Anyway it would lite up but no hot water. Taking cover off the unit in the basement and tracing the 110v romexe, I found that one of the wires was no longer connected. Turned off breaker, confirmed it was no longer hot then, inserted wire into connection and tightened screw.

Maybe that will help. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not exactly sure how, but I now have hot water using electric only...
So, there is a "water heater" breaker and it was turned off, so i clicked it on and nothing happened. I went through all the tests on the Spyder system and nothing happened, however, I went through the tests on the control panel down in the basement, and the heater kicked on. I reset everything again and it's now heating and keeping water hot. I'm not sure about the breaker for water heater in the back, but I will mess with that this weekend and see if it's necessary or not. Anyway, thanks for all the help... again!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Message I received from Tiffin below.

My breaker was off and our rear floor heat and Aqua Hot on electric never worked. 2019 Bus

We basically turn the breaker off on all water heaters when they leave here so if someone turns it on and for some reason there is no water or fluid in it, it will not burn the elements up. The dealers may or may not elect to do it when the coach is sold or tell the customer during the final walk through.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
One additional item

I recently did my first AquaHot service, and when testing afterwards, when I turned the unit OFF, it continued to run something. Note this is normal for the "cool down" cycle which should last about 2 minutes. Something was running way after that.

There is a thermostat in the wet bay and a space heater near the water tank to reduce the likelihood of pipes freezing. i taped the knob and the unit stopped.

BradS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric