Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
V10 Transmission Confusion

I have a 2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA with the V10. The gear selector shows P-R-N-D-4-2-1 which is a big part of my confusion. Where is the "3" or even the "5" if it is a 6-speed? Is mine a six speed? The PRND421 doesn't seem to indicate so with the missing 3 and 5. Does mine have two OD gears as was mentioned in another iRV2 thread (different forum) I was reading? I have driven 17k miles over the last 15 months over - so far - 45 of the lower 48 states, averaging mostly in the 6.x MPG range. All kinds of driving conditions and the MPG has been pretty consistent. (We pull a 2012 Jeep Liberty.) Suddenly, the last relocation on our itinerary we got 8.6MPG. And, it seemed the RPM's were a bit lower than normal on that leg when not under any increase load (going uphill, etc.). Instead of about a 2.3k RPM normal, we were showing right about on 2k RPM. I'm thinking maybe, and if we do have a 6-spd with two OD's, that the higher OD wasn't engaging. Tell me if this is crazy thinking, or not. We will be closely monitoring our gas mileage and RPM's on our next relo and others.
RVElzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You cannot select 5th or 3rd. You do have two OD gears, 5th and 6th. When I first drove mine I could never figure what gear I was in. I use TorquePro on a Samsung Tablet fed by a Scan Tool OBDII Bluetooth dongle and created a gauge to tell me what gear I was in. Was a godsend. Now that I've driven it for 4 years, I don't really need it. Your gas mileage is going to be anywhere from the mid-6's to as high as the mid-8's depending on a multitude of factors. Overall I average low to mid-7's, but I can seldom ever predict what it's going to be at any fill-up. As you drive it more you'll know the gear by condition and sound. If you get interested in using TorquePro, I'll send you the set-up for a gauge to track what gear you are in.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Your gas mileage is going to be anywhere from the mid-6's to as high as the mid-8's depending on a multitude of factors. Overall I average low to mid-7's, but I can seldom ever predict what it's going to be at any fill-up.

Very, very much appreciate your response and sharing your knowledge. The frustrating thing to me is pretty much just a mpg thing. I can afford the gas, it's more of a being able to be as efficient as possible and knowing how to drive it to attain that goal. (As my DW would comment, it's my OCD! ) I've been driving on this 48 State adventure now for 15 months and almost 20k miles and rarely get anything 7.x or higher. I am pretty much always in the 6.x's. Btw, after that 8.6mpg anomaly I have relocated twice and the mpg's were 6.1 and 6.7. Sigh.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVElzes View Post
Very, very much appreciate your response and sharing your knowledge. The frustrating thing to me is pretty much just a mpg thing. I can afford the gas, it's more of a being able to be as efficient as possible and knowing how to drive it to attain that goal. (As my DW would comment, it's my OCD! [emoji144]) I've been driving on this 48 State adventure now for 15 months and almost 20k miles and rarely get anything 7.x or higher. I am pretty much always in the 6.x's. Btw, after that 8.6mpg anomaly I have relocated twice and the mpg's were 6.1 and 6.7. Sigh.
I hear you. I track mileage and fill-ups for all my gas stops because it's what I like to do. When it calculates out to a 8+ mpg fill-up, I do a little jig. Doesn't happen very often though. And the reality is, I don't care that much. If it really concerned me, that would be proof I'm in the wrong machine. But it doesn't and I'm not. I keep my speed comfortably between 60-63, mostly because of the 65mph limit on my toad. I love the drives as much as the destinations, and this thing has taken me to so many awesome places. So satisfy your need to know, then put the results away so you can enjoy everything else about RV'ing, which it sounds like you're already doing. Safe travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #5

Are you running the generator on some trips and not on others.
That can effect gas usage and skew MPG.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you running the generator on some trips and not on others.
That can effect gas usage and skew MPG.

Since we have not dry camped very much at all, I have run the generator while driving just to exercise it and am aware it sips from the main fuel tank. Thanks
Old 09-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I track mileage and fill-ups for all my gas stops because it's what I like to do. When it calculates out to a 8+ mpg fill-up, I do a little jig. Doesn't happen very often though. And the reality is, I don't care that much. If it really concerned me, that would be proof I'm in the wrong machine. But it doesn't and I'm not. I keep my speed comfortably between 60-63, mostly because of the 65mph limit on my toad. I love the drives as much as the destinations, and this thing has taken me to so many awesome places. So satisfy your need to know, then put the results away so you can enjoy everything else about RV'ing, which it sounds like you're already doing. Safe travels.

We seem to be sympatico in many respects related to this area. Thank you for your replies. Happy trails my online friend.

Tags
transmission, v10