Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Velvac cameras

I had a problem with Velvac turn signal cameras both right and left flickering when viewing in the monitor when in use, when sitting still they worked great. I took the RV to the shop that does all our work to get the problem checked out. They tried several times to solve the problem but no luck. I decided to replace both cameras. I placed an order with Velvac for new cameras. I had the shop install the new cameras they worked great for about a month. Then a problem started with new cameras, when sitting still no problem but when moving using the turn signals, looking at the monitor the view was washed out (see attach picture), you could just see a lite outline of the side of the RV. The RV tech has been going back and forth with Velvac for over a week trying to find the solution to the problem. Velvac feels the RV is the problem, RV tech has checked everything they have recommended, and found no problem with the RV. I think that Velvac should send new cameras to see if the problem still exists that way they would find out if the cameras are the problem or not.
I am looking for suggestions if you have had this problem and what you did to resolve it. Any and all post will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	914[1].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	360609  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2022, 11:24 PM   #2

I had a similar problem on one camera. I have an Allegro Red so there may be some differences. My problem was the cable connectors.

There are 3 cables (4 connectors) to each camera. From the back side of the monitor, that cable ends in the nose and so there is a connection there. Then the next cable runs into the arm of the mirror mount. On my Red, where the mirror mount is articulated, there is a marker light. Pop that light off and pull the cable gently out and there is the next connection. From there the next cable goes into the mirror, behind the mounting for the mirror and motor drive and ends at the top, behind the camera. There is the final connection there.

The connections are subject to vibration. Mine were wrapped with electrical tape, or where the tape was missing, I wrapped it. I also made sure the pins were not bent or corroded.

The final cable was damaged because it was pinched by the mirror & motor mounting. I had to take the mirror down (left the arm attached to coach) and with great difficulty remove the glass and mounting frame inside the head of the mirror. I replaced that section of cable, I believe it was something like 18 inches long.

My image is now very good, not perfect. There is an occasional 'ripping' of the image. Much better than before.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:16 AM   #3

On our 2019 34PA, we had our side mirror cameras become so cloudy and fogged, I couldn't see anything any more. Called velvac, they told me I needed 2 more mirrors, because they didnt sell the cameras seperately......$900 later they are like new again.....not cheap, but they have worked well for the last 4 months.....best of luck!
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for for the post TiffinUser I will send your post to the RV tech that is working on my problem. I not sure what all Velvac has had him try to resolve the problem but none has worked so far.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What Tiffinuser says but know that the cables in the generator area are usually stuffed up into each corner and usually covered with foam.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a similar situation on our 2014 Allegro Bus. Got a can of electronic connection cleaner. Disconnected the wires in the generator area and cleaned. Put back together and taped well.

Did the same thing with the connections behind the dash.

Have not had the issue since then.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks so much for all that posted, especially about the wiring. I know that the RV tech did exactly what you guys suggested. He said the wiring in the generator area was a pain to get at, but he cleaned them up. I sent an email to Velvac including the picture that I posted here, requesting that they replace the cameras. I would like to give kudos to Velvac for responding quickly to my email letting me know that they had been working with the RV tech and would get out replacement cameras. I don’t know for sure, but I think when they saw the picture I sent, that gave them the nudge to replace the cameras. Again, I would like to thank everyone who posted, that’s what makes this site so good, members helping other members.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get the number off one of the cameras and google it, you’ll probably find them on line for a few $$ less.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Get the number off one of the cameras and google it, you’ll probably find them on line for a few $$ less.
Gary if these were not replacement cameras for the ones that I purchase from
Velvac, I would have the RV tech who is doing the work to get the numbers for me an do exactly what you posted.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Give your connections a squirt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a feeling that all of the above responses that focus on bad/poor connections in the video cables may be what is happening on your coach!

Pickup a can of DeoxIT sold on Amazon and presently on sale. Link up above. This product cleans connections from corrosion and is dielectric so it actually promotes a better transfer of electrons flowing through the connection.

I would start with the connections at your Nav. head unit behind the dash. Unplug the three camera inputs and give both sides of the connector a blast. Give that a few minutes and repeat. Now let that dry overnight, next morning plug the three camera inputs back together..... No more jitters and jumpy picture.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #11

You left off the other 3 connection on the feed to each of the cameras. Those are the connections most exposed to the weather.

In my case I unsuccessfully tried dielectric grease, the kind used on distributor points. I dunno if it is the same as the spray can. At any rate it would not repair the damaged wire that was buried in my mirror. Apparently it was not properly installed and someone tried to make it fit to the camera by pulling on it with way too much effort applied.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I had a similar situation on our 2014 Allegro Bus. Got a can of electronic connection cleaner. Disconnected the wires in the generator area and cleaned. Put back together and taped well.

Did the same thing with the connections behind the dash.

Have not had the issue since then.
Would you mind giving a description of where in the generator area these wires can be found. I am still dealing with the same camera issue, with my left camera, and would like to check what you are suggesting.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera