Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2022, 04:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Velvac mirror issue

First of all, thought I would share this document I found online. I had not seen it before and saved it for future reference.

I have an issue I hope someone else has had and resolved. My drivers side mirror will need to be adjusted several times during a drive. What happens is the top mirror, the adjustable mirror, will move out or in on rougher roads. I am talking about the mirror part only, not the frame of the mirror. The odd thing is when parked I cannot get the mirror to move at all so I am not sure what is going on.

Does anyone know how to remove the mirror glass to see how it is attached behind it? That is one thing the instructions I attached don't show. Appreciate any help on this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coach mirror parts breakdown.pdf (293.0 KB, 57 views)
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 06:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't help you specifically with your mirror, as my Velvac mirror is different, but when I did have an issue with mine, I gave Velvac a call and they were very helpful. That was pre-Covid so don't know how they are staffed now, but I'd give it a try. I was very pleased with how they helped.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the head does not move but only the glass, then most likely the gears that move the mirror are shot. You can remove the mirror but it’s not easy, they are stuck to a plastic frame with several spots of adhesive. I took a head apart on my bus, I removed the head and did the operation on a bench.
Is that download you posted for your MH? I seem to recall that on our 2013 Phaeton, the mirrors were not like that .
Velvac as far as I know does sell individual parts, you’ll have to order a new head.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #4

I had an issue with my 2018 RED mirror and needed the outer shell replacement. Velvac does sell parts BUT, they were very nice in telling me I most likely will pay more going to them rather than a local supplier/distributor. They were right,,, also they warned me that the glued motor components are extremely unreliable if they are not glued exactly right.

After going to Velvac, then their distributor I would save a couple of hundred $$.

I took a leap of faith and called tiffin parts. They were great. I gave the my serial# and that I needed the right mirror shell.

I received a complete arm, mirror assembly including cables (already installed) for less than the shell itself ( which required clips, adhesive, assembly, luck, etc.)

Check with Tiffin Parts First.

Thanks,
Jack.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:45 PM   #5

I have disassembled a mirror on my Allegro Red. Probably not the same as your rig but likely to be similar. I had to remove my mirror assembly to replace a bad video cable for the camera, it required removing both upper & lower to feed the cable. I recommend you remove the entire head from the arm (you need to find the camera cable in the arm and disconnect it) and work on it in a shop or workbench. It's too difficult to do standing on a ladder. If you have a camera at the top you will probably have to remove that piece, it has 2 screws (I think torex) that are between glass & camera mount.

The below file shows how to replace a broken glass. Removal of the mirror is the same EXCEPT this doc assumes you are discarding & replacing parts, hopefully not your situation. The clip referred to in this doc can be *gently* removed and reused if you don't break it. Then as far as the glass, it is held in by doublesided tape. It would be easy to break the upper mirror trying to pry the glass off the tape, if you try this take it slow! And I did not try that method.

I gently forced the upper mirror fully in each direction removing the 8 phillip head screws (with difficulty) and then removed the entire upper mirror and backing plate. The upper screws were blocked by camera mount so that needed to come off.

If instead you decide to try to remove the glass as shown in attachment (in order to remove the mount that is in front of motor) you will need to get special tape to replace it (3M has some). Once the glass is removed you can begin to dig into the motor, if necessary.

I have another file to attach which shows a breakdown of the entire assembly, it will be in next post.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #6

Breakdown of mirror assembly attached. The doc was too big to attach in full so this is the first 2 pages. It may not be the same mirror but the arrangement should be similar. As someone else suggested, contact Velvac with the specific info on your mirror if this is not for your mirror. The tech was very helpful when I spoke to him, about 2 yrs ago. If you contact me privately I can send you the whole document if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror page 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	353437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror page 2 of 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	353438  

Old 01-10-2022, 06:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
This is an extremely good diagram but now I am puzzled. I don't see how my mirror can be moving the way I thought it was. It will move going down the road but when we are at a campground, if I put force on the mirror, it doesn't move. I don't see any parts in the diagram that would allow it to move. It's almost like the switch get's turned on and it moves, but that doesn't make sense. Very odd.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, going to have to look into this a bit further.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #8

Hi,
The motor (#15) has a gear set in it and either the motor armature/worm gear could be moving from road vibration which will move the mirror. Pushing on the mirror will not turn the armature because the worm gear force is not in the correct plane to force the armature to move.

Thanks,

https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/flowers.gif
Old 01-10-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

I'm wondering if the stabilizing clips on your mirror are bent or otherwise not doing their job. I had to gently bend mine to reduce the vibration.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1641843973
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror stabilizer.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	353521  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Do you think you may have a short in the wiring, causing the motor to turn on for a short time? I'd see if you can kill the power to the switch & mirror, and do a test drive.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn’t say what year your coach is, but we (2003 Pharton) recently had an issue with the passenger side mirror head tilting down when driving, yeah seem quite firm when pushed on by hand.
It turns out that a few years of moving the arms in and out for storage had aligned the break in the clamp ring exactly with the set screw used to tighter it up. When you tightened the set screw, it actually loosened the clamp ring.
A knowledgeable repair tech figured it out quickly and realigned the clamp ring, and problem solved.
I doubt this is your issue, but it’s worth checking.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #12

There are small friction clips available that clip onto the edge of the glass where it is moving and helps hold it there on rough roads. The friction is usually enough to hold it in place but not so much that it can't be adjusted with the remote motor. Call Tiffin parts for the clips.
Airtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #13

Velvac Mirror Problem

I had what I thought was a similar problem on my 2012 Phaeton. My mirrors were ones with the side cameras incorporated in the mirror. It turned out that my problem was the whole head was loose although I thought it was the mirror itself originally. My problem was when I opened the port for the adjustment screw there was no set screw visible. It turned out I had to turn the whole mirror head around until the viewport faced the chassis(side window). Then the set screw came into view. The trouble was I would tighten it in that position but once it rotated back into the proper position it was loose.
natgild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #14

It looks the arm on my mirror has moved it does not extend out from the coach (2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus). Does anyone on here have any idea how to adjust the arm portion of the velvac mirror. Thanks for any help recieved
mossey is offline   Reply With Quote