Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2022, 04:56 AM   #1

Vroom Slide replacement

Who has had the upgrade from the Schwintek to the Vroom system? Are you satisfied? Would you do it again? Cost, was it reasonable? The reason I ask, my son's trailer has the Schwintek system and less than a year old and just had the system FAIL and replaced. Lippert is paying for the repairs, but less than a year old. And if you look at my registry my coach a Tiffin Bus I too have this wonderful system. I may be in line before it too fails.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #2

This is a widely discussed topic. I suggest you use the Search feature, thread titles only, and it will give you all the information you need. I've had both rear slides done by Vroom. Makes Schwintek look like a toy.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have looked at the VRoom data and information and would surely have it done to my Schwintek POJ with the first sign of trouble. The VRoom looks to be well engineered and much studier than Schwintek system.

Schwintek can work on the smaller rooms but is destined to failure on the larger rooms.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #4

Vroom Slide replacement

My camping buddy just had it done a few weeks ago to his FWS on his grand design 5er and so far he’s very happy. He paid $3k ( they honored his quote from 6 months ago ) but now its gone up to around 4.5k

It makes the schwintek look like a toy.

He had an issue the next day after install near Sedona when one motor wouldn’t run and he called the number on his receipt and it was the owners cell phone! He said they would fix it whenever he stopped by on his way home and told him how to override the controller code to make it work temporarily.

Turns out a wire got pinched and they fixed it in short order, alls well since. Sounds like awesome customer service and looks like a great product so far.

They had him in and out same day.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had all 3 done on my coach. I dealt with Brian (owner) and Joey Lopez. They work great. So far so good. But like anything, they will fail some day I am sure. I would do it all over again at the price I paid. Even at the $2500 per slide that I paid, I felt the price was steep. But given all of the work involved and inflation, I feel I got a good price in the end. But I've heard the price has skyrocketed. Brian did tell me the materials and motors are very expensive. I do believe they will reach a price point where most average guys like me will be priced out. They may be there now. If I were doing this today, I would only get the large (2) slides done. The smaller bedroom slide probably would still be fine with Schwintek. I guess everyone has their max they're willing to spend for some peace of mind.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was lucky, I had my large bath/ bedroom slide done for $1500. Worked great, quiet. Now I wish I had both replaced. I reused the original motors which saved me some $.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #7

Anyone know if they will ever sell the system for instal elsewhere? I just replaced a rack on the Slim Rack system. I think I could instal the Vroom system.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
NXR

Vroom Slide replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg
Anyone know if they will ever sell the system for instal elsewhere? I just replaced a rack on the Slim Rack system. I think I could instal the Vroom system.

Ugh. You have a 2021 motorhome and one failed?

May I ask what happened to the rack? I've got three slides using the SlimRack. So far they've been fine but...

Ray
Old 10-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Ugh. You have a 2021 motorhome and one failed?

May I ask what happened to the rack? I've got three slides using the SlimRack. So far they've been fine but...

Ray

We have 16,000 miles on our rig. It broke just on the outside of the gear when the slide is all the way in. So I imagine the stress of the slide box bouncing down the road while the gear is bolted to the wall caused the failure.

The part took two months to get just over $100 but long enough I could make two racks so I have a spare. I would think a good rv tech could do the job in two hours now that I have a back up. You do need to match the teeth so best to have two spares. But I guess a good tech could cut and drill on site. But we used a table saw and a drill press.

I think the biggest weakness is a big heavy box bouncing on the road with the motor and the gear not budging.

I was lucky where it broke the slide still came in and out with zero issue.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #10

You can get it done in Red Bay Alabama by Brannon at Custom RV. I had an appointment last month but had to cancel. Now going in June to get my Schwintec replaced in my bedroom slide (other two are hydraulic). He was trained by the VROOM guys in Tucson. They came to Red Bay to train Brannon and his crew.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg
We have 16,000 miles on our rig. It broke just on the outside of the gear when the slide is all the way in. So I imagine the stress of the slide box bouncing down the road while the gear is bolted to the wall caused the failure.

The part took two months to get just over $100 but long enough I could make two racks so I have a spare. I would think a good rv tech could do the job in two hours now that I have a back up. You do need to match the teeth so best to have two spares. But I guess a good tech could cut and drill on site. But we used a table saw and a drill press.

I think the biggest weakness is a big heavy box bouncing on the road with the motor and the gear not budging.

I was lucky where it broke the slide still came in and out with zero issue.
If I understand you correctly, the rack broke between the bracket where it attaches to the outside part of the slide and the pinion gear, so the last few inches?

And you need to cut the new rack to the proper length AND perfectly drill two holes in it, one for each pin at each end?

And you need to get the new rack inserted into the pinion gear while the other rack was still installed? Sounds like fun...

Ray
Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If I understand you correctly, the rack broke between the bracket where it attaches to the outside part of the slide and the pinion gear, so the last few inches?

And you need to cut the new rack to the proper length AND perfectly drill two holes in it, one for each pin at each end?

And you need to get the new rack inserted into the pinion gear while the other rack was still installed? Sounds like fun...

Ray

Yes to your first question.

No we removed their entire system from the wall. Did it all on a workbench. Just lined up the good rack with the new one C clamped them together then cut and drilled away. I was nervous about the whole thing. Was tempted to pay someone else but I really wanted to understand how the thing worked so I wouldn’t feel so vulnerable on the road. Gave me a chance to lock-tight the retaining screw holding the motor in place. Get pics of motor and serial numbers. And figure out the socket I need to bring in manually. 17mm
Old 10-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Lampert has real good tech support, and online videos. I was impressed. Watch the videos and you'll feel pretty confident.

Not so impressed with the 2-3 months to get a part, the repair kits seem to just be thrown together (my 1st order was missing parts, my 2nd order included a bunch more stuff - for the exact same kit), and $200 for a small bag of mostly cheap looking stuff (7 little foam blocks).

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-27-2022, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Lampert has real good tech support, and online videos. I was impressed. Watch the videos and you'll feel pretty confident.

Not so impressed with the 2-3 months to get a part, the repair kits seem to just be thrown together (my 1st order was missing parts, my 2nd order included a bunch more stuff - for the exact same kit), and $200 for a small bag of mostly cheap looking stuff (7 little foam blocks).

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

What parts did you have break? They sent me two racks for the price of one so that was nice.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide