Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

was about to buy

Need help from everybody. Been wanting a phaeton for a long time and found an 07 40 qdh. Just got a call from a dealer that said we really need to look at an 08 HR ambassador 40skq. Anyone here with experience on these and what do you think $$ and quality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

My gut always tells me to go with what I wanted NOT what a dealer wants me to buy, because its a good deal.
If I were comparing apples to apples then appearence, amenities, mechanical condition, service records and dollars last. Adk a Tiffin owner if they have a problem with a Tiffin product the chances of Titrrin helping them out or getting it fixed or parts available. Then ask an owner of a product from company that went out of business and that is now owned by someone else their chances of getting something taken care of ?
just something to consider when making your lists.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

yes the availability of the tiffin factory has alot going for it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Given the choice of a Tiffin or HR, I'd have to go with the Tiffin! Customer service is exceptional, even if you aren't the original owner!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

looks like a phaeton 40 is in my future
Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

I will have to agree with everyone. I would not buy what a dealer pushes you on because it sounds like a great deal. My experience is when we decided to purchase a motorhome my gut was to buy a Tiffin bunkhouse model in 2009 and we ended up with a Damon Astoria because it was a really good deal. Now we never had any major issues, but still had issues after all it is a man made product, but the support it what you will cherish. We purchased a 2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 last fall and with a summer of fun underneath it now what a difference! I had it delivered to the service facility in Red Bay yesterday to have a few of the bugs worked on and what a facility they have there! I hear people complain on forums that its an inconvenience to take it there, but the drive there is fantastic! The folks at Tiffin are always eager to help and when we had a cracked windshield they guided me to a local facility to take care of it. Good luck,
mickandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To djbmsu,
Let me introduce you to a Tiffin owner who had a terrible experince with a 2008 Allegro Bus and Tiffin did absolutely nothing to help me!!! I expected to keep this coach until 2014 or later, but trade in prematurely for a 2012 HR Endeavor 43DFT, and love the new coach. Was SO SO glad to get rid of the Tiffin. I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND A TIFFIN PRODUCT AGAIN!! Tiffin's reputation is old history, watch this forum to see how they treat their customers now!!!! This is my humble opinion!!!
cutter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter56 View Post
To djbmsu,
Let me introduce you to a Tiffin owner who had a terrible experince with a 2008 Allegro Bus and Tiffin did absolutely nothing to help me!!! I expected to keep this coach until 2014 or later, but trade in prematurely for a 2012 HR Endeavor 43DFT, and love the new coach. Was SO SO glad to get rid of the Tiffin. I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND A TIFFIN PRODUCT AGAIN!! Tiffin's reputation is old history, watch this forum to see how they treat their customers now!!!! This is my humble opinion!!!
you feel about tiffin the way I feel about thor!!!!!!!!! I try not to go crazy on the thor section anymore because it just doesnt do any good to knock their coaches ; it just depresses the owners. I have told myself to move on ; its healthier. If anyone is researching the unit all my posts will show up.
You might consider this about the tiffin owners as they already know the short comings and your posts will show up in the search area. I am far from mother Theresa but I try to shrug off the the urge to inform the unsuspecting
newbe and let them do their own search. Just enjoy your new coach ; many know how you feel know matter the brand, they have been there and done that.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
In 2009 I bought an Allegro Bus after doing what I thought was extensive research. I have had nothing but trouble with this coach. Most items were cheerfully fixed by Tiffin but others were not. I had extensive rust in the front compartment where all the fuses were. No one could tell me why or were able to offer a solution. I had it up on jacks and they said the door hardware was not shutting tight enough, but still the rust continued. Finally I went underneath the coach myself and found that the insulation to the front wheel well was incomplete causing water to be pushed into the screw holes every time i drove in wet weather. The water tank leaked every time I drove causing rust on the metal areas of the water compartment and rotting of the non-pressure treated plywood the tank sat on. the jacks were replaced four times after having to call tow trucks to pull them up again.
The cap rails cracked. The fiberglass cracked under the bed slide due to insufficient support. The front cap cracked due to too tight tightening around the mirrors. Each time I took my bus out I spent a month or more at the Tiffin plant. There were always over 100 coaches there some for more than eight weeks. Red Bay is no Paradise. The windshield cracked due to pulling onto a shoulder and not being perfectly level. Three of the windows had to be replaced due to fogging. The alternator died and there was rust around all of my compartment doors. This on a coach that spent every winter in Tucson. The list goes on but suffice it to say When I tried to address the rust problem they told me I must not have washed the underside of the coach every time I went over a road that may have had salt on it. I don't think I will buy another Tiffin . I am looking at an enterga anthem I only hope they are better. Anyone with suggestions?
tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaridge View Post
In 2009 I bought an Allegro Bus after doing what I thought was extensive research. I have had nothing but trouble with this coach. Most items were cheerfully fixed by Tiffin but others were not. I had extensive rust in the front compartment where all the fuses were. No one could tell me why or were able to offer a solution. I had it up on jacks and they said the door hardware was not shutting tight enough, but still the rust continued. Finally I went underneath the coach myself and found that the insulation to the front wheel well was incomplete causing water to be pushed into the screw holes every time i drove in wet weather. The water tank leaked every time I drove causing rust on the metal areas of the water compartment and rotting of the non-pressure treated plywood the tank sat on. the jacks were replaced four times after having to call tow trucks to pull them up again.
The cap rails cracked. The fiberglass cracked under the bed slide due to insufficient support. The front cap cracked due to too tight tightening around the mirrors. Each time I took my bus out I spent a month or more at the Tiffin plant. There were always over 100 coaches there some for more than eight weeks. Red Bay is no Paradise. The windshield cracked due to pulling onto a shoulder and not being perfectly level. Three of the windows had to be replaced due to fogging. The alternator died and there was rust around all of my compartment doors. This on a coach that spent every winter in Tucson. The list goes on but suffice it to say When I tried to address the rust problem they told me I must not have washed the underside of the coach every time I went over a road that may have had salt on it. I don't think I will buy another Tiffin . I am looking at an enterga anthem I only hope they are better. Anyone with suggestions?
Things like this drive people crazy! There are rumblings here and there now about the pressure of the demand for entegras causing quality to slide. There doesnt seem to be an answer! No matter how much research you do its almost the luck of the draw. I recently almost purchased a new forest river berkshire but the finish work was so bad I would have been embarrassed. Many swear their brand is the best but the forums point out nobody escapes the service repairman. Good luck to us all!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #11

So far my Fleetwood is trouble free.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like to me, you don't want to buy a 2008 or 2009 allegro bus? I just feel that they make a lot of coaches every year, so there is a likelihood that a few will have problems. I bought the 2000 HR because it was all I could afford. Now I am convinced that I did the right thing regardless of money. If I am ever lucky enough to afford a newer coach, I will probably opt for a 5 year old one that could be inspected for glaring rust problems and other obvious structural defects.

I can see how bitter someone could get shelling out more than $250K and having the kind of problems described. That being said, I am really grateful to this site for everything I have learned.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #13

Dave:

I'm with you! Let someone else buy new and sort out all the problems. We bought a one-owner '02 Georgetown in 2010 and have had only one problem since. That was a rotted-out slide topper on the living room/dinette slide, with resulting rain-water ingress. RV service center replaced the topper and fixed the seal and I replaced the cabinets.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

I am also interested in an 08 Tiffin Phaeton QSH 36 and here is what I have found out, it may help.
The 3 issues -- Roof Rail cracking, wet bay floors and most recently "slide floor delamination" are being covered by Tiffin @ no cost - but they recently placed a "repair time limit". I fear it may be too late to get these repairs on a 2006 coach covered and getting very close on the 2008. Don Boyd can confirm. Now - I'm pretty sure the roof cracking will not be an issue on the 2006 coach and not sure the slide floor delamination will be either. I'm not as familiar with the impacted years on the slide floor problem.. I need to dig into that deeper and just have not done so yet.

Tiffin has done a good job training a few dealers around the country to do some of these bigger repairs so owners don't have to come to Red Bay to get it done. I'm not as familiar with where those are located, but if you get serious about one of these coaches and repair is needed, Don Boyd can help you find a location. Just a side note -- some owners have obtained approval for total coverage even though the warranty period had expired. Perhaps good negotiators?
The following link offers the best explanation of thermal cracking. It's a poll with a summary of the problem and a link inside to learn more.

http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=46684&hilit=+thermal+crackin g

The upside (if there is one) is Thermal Cracking is a cosmetic issue and it seems many who find it after the 3 year warranty period have elected to get on the waiting list for repair, but are not sure they will follow thru with since it's so costly.

Manufacturers had no way of knowing which walls had the bad fiberglass so it's highly possible an owner who gets the problem may see it only on one wall. We do not know, if the problem reveals itself, if it does so based on time alone, time in the sun, and/or color of the MH. But several TRVN members feel the darker paint or spending a lot of time out in the Southwest sun could be key factors.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote