Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Washing: At RV park? Sensitive areas?

Two points here that Iíd like to hear your thoughts on:
-Do you usually have your motorhome washed when you arrive at an RV Park? A dirty RV drives me crazy so itís always clean we I leave the house. However, it seems I hit at least a 5 min rain storm every time we go somewhere. I try to clean it up best I can within park policy. I prefer to do it myself and donít like the RV mobile wash services but I will use them if Iím there more than 10-14 days. Where do full timers wash their RV?

- How do you clean sensitive areas like the HWH pump bay and the DEF tank bay? Theyíre exposed to road grime so they get really dirty. Iím thinking some Simple Green and light rinsing. What do you do?
RH_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the same problem. We left for a six week trip with a perfectly clean coach and hit a rain shower the first day out. I opted not to clean until we get home as it looks okay from a distance and only I notice it's grimy. A lot of people use the Wash Wax All system to clean in parks. It works well but is a lot of effort. As for the DEF and Hydraulic compartments, I usually rinse them out every time I wash. Both are open or have drains and I try to keep the direct spray off of the electrical connections.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm a faithful user of the Wash Wax All system. I haven't actually "washed" a coach with a water hose since 2013. I have taken a small bucket with hot water & used the WWA extend-a-pole with the scrubbie on it to get bug guts off the windshield & the oily road grime off the back cap (with the WWA degreaser), but that's always been followed by a complete WWA job. My Phaeton took us ~45 minutes to do with the WWA (Dave would apply damp mop, I'd follow behind with a 2nd pole with the dry mop) . I'm by myself now but can get my PC done in just 20 minutes. I'll do it at every park, after every trip & again when I get home.

Sorry can't say about the other. Didn't have the Phaeton long enough to have to clean those.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #4

I do something similar to the Wash Wax All clean-up. I carry a ladder and regularly touch up my RV with a spray detailer and a couple towels. I can do the whole thing in about a half hour if it's not super dirty. If it's real trashed I'm give it a sponge bath with a bucket of water and a rag, no hose, just change the water in the bucket when needed, usually once, then follow up with the detailer. I actually enjoy shining it up and always have people comment on how good the 25 year old rig looks. It's not unusual for people to ask my when I got it repainted. They're always surprised when I tell them it's the original 1998 factory paint.

Of course this doesn't take care of any compartments or gear.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Iíll check out the Wash and Wax All. I regularly used an over the counter wash and wax on my 2004 MH and the paint still looked new the day I sold it. Quick read of the WWA is that itís a higher tech product so very interested.

My only concern is that I currently have a Chemical Guys ceramic coating applied and Iíve read that wax is not compatible over it. Iíll talk to the WWA tech support to see what they say but would be good to hear from anybody with experience using WWA over ceramic.

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Usually the first thing I do when I pull into a CG is check with the front desk on the rules of washing my rig. I like a clean coach, as well, but don't want to PO CG Mgmt. If they say not washing usually they'll let you clean off the bugs of the front including windshield. Some let you wash so I have wash and wax along with a items to get every area of the coach except the roof. Usually keep a couple shammy towels and a mit. If they forbide it I'll use detailer for the low areas and rims. They're usually the areas that get the dirtiest.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #7

I use Wash Wax All, but lately I have been using Superior Products waterless wash.
It’s less expensive and works great.
You can buy in in a gallon jug but needs to be diluted.
I can get 3 gallons of wash for the price of one gallon.
Here is a link
https://superiorproducts.com/product...-wash-and-wax/
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #8

I recently switched to Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR). A couple cap fulls mixed with 2 gallons of DI water will do a Class B. I like using DI water because it doesn't leave water spots. You just wipe it on with a mop or clean rag then dry it off. It's not a harsh detergent so it won't remove your wax or ceramic. I've been using a DIY ceramic instead of wax and the ONR does a great job because dirt slides off the ceramic easily. I don't think ONR would work with a truely grimy coach but it works great if you wash frequently, keep the rig waxed, and are only washing off light road dirt.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Good stuff. I‘lol check out the no rinse washed that do t have wax. I think they should do fine over the ceramic coating.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #10

I just can't make myself rub dirt all over my paint without rinsing first. I have used Wash Wax for years on more than one motorhome but never without washing. Even with washing my last motorhome had a lot of swirls in the paint that really looked bad in direct sunlight.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are finding more parks that won't even let us wash the bugs off the front of the trailer. They will only allow you to have it washed by an approved vendor that brings in their own water in a tank. And so far, all of these wash services want to use a pressure washer which does not come near my trailer.

We found one park in Branson, which had a wash pad for the RVs that you fed with massive stacks of quarters to wash and rinse.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A little funny story. We were up at a CG in Eastpoint Florida last May and the love bugs were out in full force. Campground said no washing your rig or even your windshield. Mine, like others were covered. I see a Class C a few lots away right at the corner. This guy is washing his car windshield as Campground workers are going back and forth. They said nothing, next thing he does his entire car. Workers back and forth not a peep. My buddy and I couldn't believe it as they were adamant your caught your leaving... then the guy goes in perhaps for lunch. Comes out an hour later starts on the Class C windshield then his entire coach including his roof. Yup workers back and forth so now my buddy and I are wondering perhaps we heard wrong so we check in at the front desk again they reiterate "no". We asked are the exceptions for the windshield again "no" so we asked whose enforcing the rule since the CG workers obviously weren't and left. In the end we used the windex we always have with us to clean our windshields because the trip home in a week wasn't going to be any easier. Some people just don't care they think their special. Glad to see folks checking and I've learned a few tricks in this thread without water ��
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:14 AM   #13
mnc

we always ask when booking a spot if we can wash our rig. If the campground doesn't allow it we try to find a place close before we get there to pull over and wash it. we have washed at Walmart, home depot, and rest areas if there's room
mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:44 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never had our rig washed at a campground. If we're out for a long time we'll hit a Blue Beacon if it's really dirty, otherwise there's one that we hit about an hour from home at the end of our trips. Our wet bay is sealed up pretty good from road grime. I rinse it out with water every once in awhile. It never occurred to me to be bothered about how the DEF tank looks. I wipe around the cap area when I fill if it looks dirty, but that's it.

Tags
def tank wash, hwh pump wash, rv park, rv wash