Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Water heater cleaning

I have a 10 gallon water heater in my 2019 Tiffin Open Road 34PA. I drained it and filled it with 5 gallons of white vinegar and 5 gallons of water. Then I turned the water heater back on to cook the solution for 24 hours. At about 21 hours I noticed some of the vinegar solution leaking out of the propane burner tube. The leak was not from the propane small tube but from the larger tube where the flame heats up the water. Anyhow, it seems I cleaned a hole into my water heater. It is almost 3 years old, and this is the first time I attempted to clean it. Is it possible that the calcium deposits could have been clogging a tiny leak? I finished flushing it out, and now it is filled with clean water, but it is still leaking. The leak is a constant slow drip, but I guess I will need to replace the water heater? I plan to clean the new one every 6 months. Have any of you used white vinegar and water to clean your water heater? Thanks for your help. All the best, Tim
timracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #2

Like this

That is a 'common' area for Suburban Water Heaters to leak
Suburban uses a Steel Tank that is Glass-lined
*overpenetration weld

Should not be doing the vinegar soak to clean ----- that is to remove sulfur smell and for Atwood Aluminum Tanks
Just remove Anode Rod routinely and drain/flush tank....one of those 'wands' works well due to the larger drain hole on Suburban Tanks (3/4")

Suburban tank leaks means replacement of the Whole water heater...no replacement tanks

If Atwood.., that is an unusual place for leak
Tank can be repaired/welded

Suburban has a 2 yr limited warranty with a 3 yr limited warranty on the TANK
Contact Suburban for Replacement of Water Heater...labor not included
https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default...y.pdf?sfvrsn=4
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you advise if yours is an Atwood or Suburban heater, and if a Suburban, have you regularly replaced the anode rod? 3 yes. old is very young to have an issue like that. I have seen videos about using vinegar for cleaning, but I don't know what concentration was used.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #4

I've never used vinegar to clean a water heater. I was thinking it was used for smells but have never had an episode of that occur. Haven't looked up the procedure but I would imagine that 5 gallons would be a bit much.

May jinx myself but our 6 gallon Atwood is still doing fine after 18 plus years. I pull the Hott Rod every other year and do a quick flush with plain ole water.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #5

Atwood has vinegar soak procedure in their Water Heater Manual
4 gal vinegar to 2 gal water for 6 gal tank
Let it go thru 4-5 heating cycles then drain/flush
(10 gal tank-----6.5/gal vinegar to 3.5 gal water)

*Suburban doesn't have a vinegar soak in their manuals
Old 08-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Atwood has vinegar soak procedure in their Water Heater Manual
4 gal vinegar to 2 gal water for 6 gal tank
Let it go thru 4-5 heating cycles then drain/flush
(10 gal tank-----6.5/gal vinegar to 3.5 gal water)

*Suburban doesn't have a vinegar soak in their manuals
Oh well, I guess the OP didn't use enough vinegar in his 10 gallon tank. Would have never guessed those amounts were recommended. Hope the OP can get it repaired without going through the trouble of buying and installing new..
Old 08-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Oh well, I guess the OP didn't use enough vinegar in his 10 gallon tank. Would have never guessed those amounts were recommended. Hope the OP can get it repaired without going through the trouble of buying and installing new..
Depends on Which Brand OP has on repairs

Suburban...new water heater (which I suspect OP has)
Atwood......weld repair
Old 08-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #8

Hello OP.....any feedback?
Old 08-31-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey, Vinegar is an acid!!! use it to rid your system of strange smells THEN use only a small amount!!! One cup yes I said cup for every five gallons of water. Flush well...
Ken D.
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
Hey, Vinegar is an acid!!! use it to rid your system of strange smells THEN use only a small amount!!! One cup yes I said cup for every five gallons of water. Flush well...
Ken D.
Actually the procedure in Atwood Manuals use 2 to 1 ratio
4 gallons vinegar/2 gallons water for 6 gal tank
Aluminum Tank

***Suburban doesn't list a vinegar procedure but do list chlorine procedure to rid sulfur smells
Steel...glass lined tank
Old 08-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
Ken D.
You're right, but Vinegar is a VERY mild acid, in fact it's so mild you can drink it. Vinegar is only 4% acid the other ingredient is water. The acid in white vinegar is acetic acid. My point being that at a 2 to 1 dilution of vinegar with water will give you about 2.66% acid solution, not enough to cause any issues.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #12

I recently attempted to clean my suburban WH using a vinegar solution as there was a fair buildup of calcium. The unit is 4 yo and had never been cleaned. After a pretty good water flush there was still a lot of calcium in the bottom so I did the vinegar soak. I did not heat the solution and seems that didn't really do much. I did another water flush, put in a new anode, and declared victory.
rastevens321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #13

I’m going to ask the odd question, Are you fill the HW tank through the pump? I have that Odor in my tank, but have only drained and refilled. After the first heat up the Odor is back.
rlavender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater