Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Water pump on /off switches

Our 2013 Allegro 35QBA has 2 on/off switches one in bathroom and one at kitchen sink right beside llight switches. Water pump is so quiet that if you turn the wrong switch you do not know it is one Any suggestions on solving this problem
trtog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You should have a red indicator light somewhere. I have had 3 motor homes and all 3 had an indicator light. I know what you mean by quiet water pump. I can't hear mine run either. Maybe someone with the same MH as you will respond, then you will know for sure. Call Tiffin customer support is an option also. The answer may be in your owners manual.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtog7 View Post
Our 2013 Allegro 35QBA has 2 on/off switches one in bathroom and one at kitchen sink right beside llight switches. Water pump is so quiet that if you turn the wrong switch you do not know it is one Any suggestions on solving this problem
You should be very happy with having a "quiet" water pump. Mine isn't. To your question, IF the existing switches don't have an indicator light, which would illuminate when "on", then you should look for replacement switches (that will fit) that do have the indicator light built into them. Another solution would be to add a separate indicator light, but that is more complicated (and costly).
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
look at the light when you turn on the switch
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post

What light?

I am curious about our toy hauler water pump also.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If your water pump uses a Latching Controller to activate the water pump, then your water pump switches will be momentary switches. They should also have an indicator light next to the switch to "indicate" when the water pump is powered.

Here are a couple of photos showing the switches and indicator lights for the water pump. The first photo shows the switch and indicator light for the water pump that I had installed in our toilet room. It never had one at that location as the nearest one was in the hallway by the main vanity.

I have since changed out the incandescent indicator lamps with LED ones.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Water Pump Control.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	50197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Level Indicator Panel-02.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	50198  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have 4 different locations where we can turn the water pump on or off if you include the switch in the water bay. Each switch is equipped with either a built-in indicator light or a stand-alone indicator light so you can always see if the pump is on or off at a glance.

Most switches are available with or without indicator lights. If you don't have indicator lights on your current switches, changing them over to a similar switch that is equipped with an indicator light shouldn't be too hard.

Allied Electronics has over 9000 switches available. It would be a good place to start looking.

Sensors, Switches & Relays from Allied Electronics
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have a water pump controller, it is very easy to add a light at each switch. At each switch you have a power or hot side and a side that goes to the pump. When you turn the switch on, the output side will be hot. If you have two switches buy two 12 volt LED lights. Install one of these next to the switch. When the pump is on the light will light up. It is a simple and cheap install.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

We had the same problem in our Tiffin Open Road - 36LA. With one in each bath and in the kitchen we never knew if it was on...no indicator light on any of the switches. We made a stop in Red Bay for some other items and bought a lighted switch in their parts store.
cooper164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have 2013 35QBA and do not have indicator lights on the switches either. I am going to get on the phone with the parts department tomorrow. I did not know switches with indicator lights were available.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Open Roads have never had a latching switch - just a switch that works like a 3-way switch in your house. You can get a lighted switch or you can go over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com and search on this topic. Others have made modifications.

We used a simpler solution - we stuck a piece of tape on the water switch. Worked really well, especially in the bathroom where it was usually dark.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I am curios what the did was for and how did it help you determine the pump was on ?
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Now there is a BIG improvement that Bob Tiffin could provide with his RV's for the future that would not cost him a ton of money to "fix" later.

Install an Intellitec Latching Controller for the water pump which will allow you to have as many switches with indicator lights located anywhere you want them.

Monaco's have them and I'm sure that others do too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
As the original poster already stated, there IS no indicator light. In my coach I have THREE water pump switches...one in the bathroom, one at the hallway sink by the shower, and one in the kitchen area....and it IS a pain to know the status of the water pump when it could be turned on, or off in any of those three locations. Indicator switches will do not good for this type of three way switching.... a separate status light wiring system would be required.....and that would really be a pain to install.

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump