RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Water tank heater for P32 Allegro

Hi there,

I'm taking apart the access panel to the water tank. It sits behind the spare tire mount. It was awful to remove, but it's off. Inside, I see some square tubing that seems to surround the back of the water tank. Photos attached.
I was thinking I'd put one of those heating pads underneath the tank. Now that the body access panel is removed, I'm not sure if I'm looking at the tank itself, or a plastic cover with insulation between it and the tank. The same question applies to the bottom of the tank. Can you tell if these photos are of the tank or another plastic wall with insulation between it and the tank?

Photo 1 is the back of the tank with the access panel removed
Photo 2 shows expandable foam around the perimeter of the back of the tank and the square tubing
Photo 3 shows the bottom of the tank or the false wall covering it and the unknown insulation. Not sure what I'm looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200102_111350170 (816 x 612).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	271203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200102_111400688 (816 x 612).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	271204  

Name:	IMG_20200102_111441320 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	271205  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Can you tell by tapping on the bottom if it's the tank?

Likely the insulation will cover the bottom as well.

If you can remove some insulation and put a thin heat mat against the tank bottom, then spray foam insulation in afterwards, that should do the trick.

Happy Glamping.

Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

Monte --

Your motorhome according to Tiffin sales brochure has a propane / electric water heater - correct? Regardless of the brand (Atwood, Suburban, Dometic, etc.) the tanks on propane / electric water heaters are typically encased in white Styrofoam insulation such as shown in this Amazon link --> https://www.amazon.com/SUBURBAN-SW10...077690&sr=8-36

The metal plate shown in your photos looks to be a "structural" piece for the water heater compartment and not the tank itself (in my experiences I've never had an non-insulated tank). Usually, RV have water heater access from inside the RV, are typically installed on the floor and hidden behind a removable panel. Have you looked for floor level removable panel inside your motorhome?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #4

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas. Not that it is the water tank I'm trying to heat. The water heater is not what I'm trying to heat. It does have both propane and electric heater capabilities. The reason I'm doing this "fun" project is that last winter we spent several nights at 9 degrees F. The water tank froze solid and consequently, we had no access to water in the coach. I can't tell if the bottom and end of the tank is what I'm seeing or if they are false walls, behind which there is a space and insulation. I have emptied the tank in anticipation of lifting it a bit to slide in a heating pad. Your idea is a good one....fill it and tap on it to see if it feels like water is in it.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Monte --

Your motorhome according to Tiffin sales brochure has a propane / electric water heater - correct? Regardless of the brand (Atwood, Suburban, Dometic, etc.) the tanks on propane / electric water heaters are typically encased in white Styrofoam insulation such as shown in this Amazon link --> https://www.amazon.com/SUBURBAN-SW10...077690&sr=8-36

The metal plate shown in your photos looks to be a "structural" piece for the water heater compartment and not the tank itself (in my experiences I've never had an non-insulated tank). Usually, RV have water heater access from inside the RV, are typically installed on the floor and hidden behind a removable panel. Have you looked for floor level removable panel inside your motorhome?
Sorry I haven't responded to this earlier. I have tried to get access to the water tank from the top, but am not sure how to deal with this bottom strip of carpet and wood. I don't want to ruin anything trying to get it off. I got one end loose, but only from the wall, not the floor. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm a little stumped!
Old 01-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

Is there any way you can slip a thin heat mat in under or beside the tank?

Best to put it on the bottom, but if it was close to the bottom on a side, the heat would keep it from freezing as long as you had water above the mat.

Perhaps something like this for reptile tanks?

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Reptile...201746&sr=8-10

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #7

Yes, maybe it's possible if I can get to the tank. I'm trying to come down from the top as was suggested earlier, but haven't figured out how to do that yet because it looks like the edge of the wall/floor is covered by the mitered piece shown in the photo. Do you have any ideas how to remove it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	watertankaccess.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	272503  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

I suspect there are wires and/or water lines in there.

You will be much better going in from underneath if possible.

Usually the floors are put down before the upper structure and walls, etc are put in place.

Maybe if you call the factory and ask what the procedure is for replacing the water tank is will get you in the right direction.

Happy Glamping.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Monte --

My apologies for mis-interpreting your original post. Based on the info in your signature block, you have a 2004 Tiffin Allegro 28DA (or similar) model -- correct? --> https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...llegro-wu43548

Is the "back wall" in one of your rear storage compartments removable to access your water tank? Reason for asking is the water tank and water pump were accessible in my previous motorhome (2007 Damon Astoria 3774) and my current motorhome (2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037) by removing the back panel in a storage compartment. For both motorhomes, that back panel was designed for removal (i.e. remove a few screws) to access the water tank and pump.

Before tearing up your floor, investigate if your water tank can be accessed from a storage compartment.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Monte --

My apologies for mis-interpreting your original post. Based on the info in your signature block, you have a 2004 Tiffin Allegro 28DA (or similar) model -- correct? --> https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...llegro-wu43548

Is the "back wall" in one of your rear storage compartments removable to access your water tank? Reason for asking is the water tank and water pump were accessible in my previous motorhome (2007 Damon Astoria 3774) and my current motorhome (2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037) by removing the back panel in a storage compartment. For both motorhomes, that back panel was designed for removal (i.e. remove a few screws) to access the water tank and pump.

Before tearing up your floor, investigate if your water tank can be accessed from a storage compartment.
Hi Mike,

I didn't see any MH on the link you provided that matched my rig. My rig is a gas 26 ft model (which measures a bit longer) with one slide. The rear of the MH is the bedroom. The slide moves out the passenger side bedroom about 2 feet. The water tank is centered underneath the rig. I thought that the access was through the rear exterior hatch that is under the spare tire carrier. I removed all that and then was looking at a blank wall, as in the original photos. I cannot tell if the wall has some insulation behind it. Same situation on the bottom of the tank. If the tank is surrounded by insulation, putting a heating pad on the outside won't warm up the tank at all. Now, there is no cabinet in the water tank area. It is a walk space for access to the other side of the bed, so I was thinking that if there is an access, it must be under the carpet. I hate to tear the carpet out, especially if there is no access from the top. I'm really confused at this point. Thanks for the thinking on this you have done!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monte, my 2000 Allegro model 28 has the water tank under the bed. On each side there are storage space doors (openings on both sides of the water tank - the passenger side door is where the water tank drain valve, water pump and screen filter are located). I can leave both doors open and circulate the interior warm air (or run a small space heater) to keep the water/pipes/pump from freezing. In the same area you probably have and need to keep from freezing the water lines, screen filter and water pump.
Also, under the bed mine has an access hole cut-out for water pump replacement and screen filter cleaning
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #12

Tom,

The layout of my rig seems different than yours. The water tank is centered in the aft part of the chassis. The gas tank is in front of it. The rig has a wet compartment on the left side where the water pump resides. I don't see any access to the water tank. There is no cabinet on the back wall. There are cabinets on both sides, but the tank is centered on the chassis.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you follow the fill line to see if there is internal access? I'm guessing your fill spot must be centered on the back if the water tank only has external access. I don't know why there would be an external water tank. My tank is centered on the back wall too, but it is all internal (mounted on 1"X1"s so there is an air gap under it)

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, heat, heater, p32, tank, water