Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Wayfarer Options - your thoughts ?

Reviewing build sheet for new Wayfarer - would like your thoughts on options you have and like or options you have and could have done without. Especially interested in the aluminum wheels vs steel wheels ($2160 upgrade) since Trent at Tiffin says total weight saving is only 20 lbs. (seems low), 2000 watt inverter ($1350 upgrade) over the 1000 watt inverter, Wifi Antenna w/Range Extender ($540 upgrade) and central vacuum system ($371 upgrade).

90% of our camping is dry camping.

Thanks for your help on this.
Pondstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Since no one answered so far, I'll give you my opinion, again, just an opinion. I would skip all of those you listed. The wheels are not worth the weight savings. The inverter is likely not that usuable with only 2 house batteries. You have the generator when you need more power for brief periods when you are boondocking. The central vac adds some weight (plus cost) and there isn't that much in a Wayfarer that needs vacuuming, where a broom or mop will do the job. You can always vacuumm when you get back home. The Wifi range extender isn't worth it to me and I wonder how well it works. Others can weigh in on that one.

I would consider adding the countertop extension in the kitchen. Its now a list option and I think worth it. I built my own. I also added the awning topper to my slide-out and asked to have a handle grip put in the shower. They put in a really nice one, heavy duty stainless steel, short and I had it mounted vertical towards the front of the shower, so it didn't intrude on the narrow sides. If you boondock a lot, you might consider solar panels. I didn't, but in your case, it might be worth it.

Hope this helps.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with Travelino across the board.

Also: Use some of the $ saved to get two Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries instead. More power, faster charging, and far more weight savings. As for the Wi-Fi Extender I prefer the brand used by boaters, HALO. For solar I prefer Zamp. Counter extension? Camping world has a cheap wood solution that works.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

Agree with Mark and Travelino, with one additional comment. The central vacuum system takes up about 1/3 of your under floor storage compartment by your entry door. I don't know about you, but I need all that space for easy to get to things! I, like Mark (since I took advice from him), got the HALO for WiFi and it has worked well.
MPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #5

Actually in the 2020 they have put the central vac hose under the sink. It sits in a tube in the corner out of the way with an on/off switch. Just pull it out of the tube and turn it on. No more clumsy hose to drag out of the bay.

Also, I originally thought a central vac in a Wayfarer was silly now I think it's a must, very convenient.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

The Wayfair is heavy vs. Winnebago View. The need to carry water will put your Wayfair over GVWR. Tiffin needs to use the Mercedes 4500. There is a trade off of weight vs heavy wood that Tiffin users like. WGO does a better job using lighter cabinets and counters. The 4500 adds 1100 lbs and may cost a OEM under a grand. Mercedes has a speed limit of 65 but changed it to the 3500 spec. I don’t understand why all of the uplifted RV go to that chassis.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #7

I think they will change to the 4500, maybe when they start the next model year. Otherwise that will upset a lot of current owners with the same model year, if they change during the model year.

The other reason we may not be seeing them using the 4500 yet, is may be availability. My 2020 Wayfarer with the 2019 chassis was built in Germany, although we were told that starting with the 2019 Sprinters, they would be built in the US. Are they really building the cut-away chassis in the US yet, or the 4500 cut-away for the matter.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
aluminum wheels vs steel wheels ($2160 upgrade) - Yes

2000 watt inverter ($1350 upgrade) over the 1000 watt inverter, - Yes - I have moved everything to the inverter just need to be careful not to try running Microwave, toaster , or coffee pot at the same time. SO far one at a time has worked great on the 2000 was inverter.

Wifi Antenna w/Range Extender ($540 upgrade) - my opinion is not I have it because it was on the coach. Have never used it.

central vacuum system ($371 upgrade). - Yes keeps the wife happy.

I understand you can get the Dragon Fly Lithium Batteries, Battle Borns company that works with RV Manufactures) at the factory. I have added Battle Born and a second 190 Watt Solar Panel to my 2020 25 RW and di 4 days dry camping without using the generator. As long as there is sun I do not plug in between trips. This was expensive, but to me it has been well worth the expense.

Added side and backup camera since the one installed at the factory cannot be used when going forward.
MHGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
The Wayfair is heavy vs. Winnebago View. The need to carry water will put your Wayfair over GVWR. Tiffin needs to use the Mercedes 4500. There is a trade off of weight vs heavy wood that Tiffin users like. WGO does a better job using lighter cabinets and counters. The 4500 adds 1100 lbs and may cost a OEM under a grand. Mercedes has a speed limit of 65 but changed it to the 3500 spec. I don’t understand why all of the uplifted RV go to that chassis.
The question the OP asked didn't have anything at ALL to do with this. Thread Hijacker alert!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondstar View Post
Reviewing build sheet for new Wayfarer - would like your thoughts on options you have and like or options you have and could have done without. Especially interested in the aluminum wheels vs steel wheels ($2160 upgrade) since Trent at Tiffin says total weight saving is only 20 lbs. (seems low), 2000 watt inverter ($1350 upgrade) over the 1000 watt inverter, Wifi Antenna w/Range Extender ($540 upgrade) and central vacuum system ($371 upgrade).

90% of our camping is dry camping.

Thanks for your help on this.
Aluminum Wheels - Yes, and Tiffin's price is fair as it includes the steel dual valve stem kit, mounting and balancing. Think about what TPMS you want to use and ensure they position the valve stems to allow for sensor installation without hitting the wheels.

2000 Watt inverter - YES! Mine came with the 1000W unit and I've since swapped it out with the 2000 watt unit. The 1000W unit would not even run my coffee pot. If you wanted to DIY, the 2000w unit itself is only $500 at Amazon and you can sell your 1000W for $150 on eBay. If you get the factory unit, make sure the put the microwave and central vac on the microwave circuit. They won't put the GFCI outlets on the microwave circuit because it's a code violation. You could probably do that yourself though.

WiFI extender - No. Easy upgrade yourself, tech is always changing. Mine came with one. It works well but is a pain to setup as you have to reconfigure every time that you change locations. Only takes about 5 minutes but still . . . Typical clunky King Controls interface too.

Central Vac - YES. As mentioned, in the 2020 the hose lives in a tube under the sink and you just pull it out to vacuum. Very nice.

Enjoy your new coach!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

2000 watt inverter ($1350 upgrade) over the 1000 watt inverter, - Yes - I have moved everything to the inverter just need to be careful not to try running Microwave, toaster , or coffee pot at the same time. SO far one at a time has worked great on the 2000 was inverter.

I need to learn what I need to do to accomplish this. I ordered the 2000W inverter because I was advised to.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHGene View Post
aluminum wheels vs steel wheels ($2160 upgrade) - Yes

Wifi Antenna w/Range Extender ($540 upgrade) - my opinion is not I have it because it was on the coach. Have never used it.

central vacuum system ($371 upgrade). - Yes keeps the wife happy.

I understand you can get the Dragon Fly Lithium Batteries, Battle Borns company that works with RV Manufactures) at the factory. I have added Battle Born and a second 190 Watt Solar Panel to my 2020 25 RW and di 4 days dry camping without using the generator. As long as there is sun I do not plug in between trips. This was expensive, but to me it has been well worth the expense.

Added side and backup camera since the one installed at the factory cannot be used when going forward.
As I am going through my want list for a 25QW build, solar is a must have feature. I have been in touch with Go Power Solar, which is the the provider Tiffin is currently using, and they felt 2 190 watt panels would get the job done with my anticipated needs. With your adding an additional 190 watt panel your experience confirms this. I have been attempting to get confirmation an additional panel can be mounted on a 25QW. In that you did on your 25RW I would think there wouldn't be an issue on the 25QW.

Regarding Lithium batteries installed at the factory... I was told by a Tiffin representative that is not something they will do. However, I have read here, and on the Tiffin forum, that Tiffin will install Lithium batteries. Hopefully someone who has had them installed at the factory can confirm this.

The rear view camera not being able to be viewed while driving forward is very disappointing. I also understand that on the 25QW the rear slide topper blocks half of the view of the camera when viewing it in reverse. The only work around is to install an additional camera to allow rear viewing while driving forward unfortunately.

Bob
No Plan is offline   Reply With Quote