RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
Member
 
CEParosa's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 76
Angry Wayfarer Wash & Wax Front Cap?

Has anyone figured out how to effectively wash and wax the front cap of a Wayfarer? I understand that it's not recommended to walk on the roof and the front cap won't support any weight so how to detail that area? I've been using a ladder and extended pole but would love to do a better job. Any ideas?
__________________

Clay & Marcy
2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 523
A vexing problem indeed. I haven't been able to come up with any reasonable solution. A long-handled brush is my solution for washing but, obviously that isn't adequate for the detailing / waxing tasks.

I've considered setting up scaffolding using three ladders - two step ladders and an extension ladder - but that feels pretty risky!

I've also considered nosing into my garage and working from the garage roof. Again, risky.

Bucket truck anybody?

By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with walking on the roof. It is necessary to get up there and clean / check sealant, install accessories and the like. I do agree that the front cap is not designed to hold any significant weight and should not be climbed or walked on.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon & Cookie (RIP Coco )
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,815
Check out Wash/Wax/All products for a solution to your problem. You can get them on Amazon and through independent dealers. The system is designed to clean and wax using a low water system and some special attachments. Designed for airplanes, it works well on RVs as well.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V (Sold)
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Member
 
CEParosa's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 76
Ok, will definitely check it out. You mentioned special attachments so do you remember what they were?
__________________

Clay & Marcy
2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Member
 
CEParosa's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 76
Thanks for your reply, maybe we can both find a workable solution.
__________________

Clay & Marcy
2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: De
Posts: 191
Wash Wax all is no water product,works great, they have an extendable pole V shaped attachment with micro fiber mop heads on 2 sides wet and dry side I can reach up and over front cap on my class A, and there removable throw in washer dryer. It's all I've ever used on coach 2 1/2 yrs, no water so never had water spots.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 37
Iím 265 lbs and called the Wayfarer Service Center to ask about roof weight limits. They said no problem for me, but probably not a good idea for two large adults at the same time.

I used the recommended process in the Wayfarer manual - wet dryer sheets to remove bugs (works amazingly well) and baby shampoo, vinegar, and water for washing. It was a lot of work but did a good job. That said, Iíll probably use the local truck wash on the way home on future trips - it was more work than I wanted to do.
rogerfromco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 86
This is the solution we came up with to wash/wax the front cap. I know this isn't a practical solution for most people, but I thought I'd share it with you.


The wooden scaffold on the left, is something we already had. It is 4 x 8 and 8 feet high. One end has wheels and we built it, so my wife would have a nice, safe, platform to paint the higher portions of the house. She was able to put an 8 foot step ladder on that too, so she could reach the highest parts of our house when painting. (intentionally offering you this unnecessary detail).



The yellow scaffold on the right is from Harbor Freight and adjusts up to 6 feet. I added the top rail to it. We bought that just before we took these pictures, as it is handy to wash and wax the sides of the RV too and will aid in other tasks around the house, like my wife painting the lower sections.


The only extra thing we had to buy for this scaffold setup to do the cap are 3 2x12 planks, 8 feet long. Those are clamped to the scaffolds so they don't slip off.



The 2 x 12 boards across the front are about 6 feet off the ground and the rig is positioned close to the windshield. Also we made sure that the planks didn't flex down too far and crack the windshield.



Even at 6 feet high, I still found, when I tried to reach up on the cap, I could barely reach up to the marker lights, because the cap slopes out so far. Just so you're aware, than any scaffold similar to this, will still make it hard to get a good reach up. My wife did the roof and reached down from the roof where she was just able to reach the marker lights from above, so we did wash/wax the whole thing, but it was a stretch in both directions.


I agree that finding a way to wash and wax the cap is a real challenge, but at least in our case, we were able to do it as pictured. It's not something we'll setup and do too often.


The big scaffold is high enough so we can use it to step onto the roof, without any additional step.


My wife really appreciates the big scaffold and often reminds me that when we were building the house, I would setup a single plank supported by either 2 x 4s or a handy tree branch for her to walk out onto to work on the house. She really likes the bigger platform, and I like her too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV scaffold  sm (3).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	310476   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV scaffold sm (4).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	310477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV scaffold sm (6).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	310478  
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 336
Take it to a blue beacon. Done
Dennis123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Take it to a blue beacon. Done
I used a truck wash once with my class A. Never again. The brushes they use are full of dirt and grit and will absolutely destroy the paint on your motorhome. Avoid at all cost.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon & Cookie (RIP Coco )
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I used a truck wash once with my class A. Never again. The brushes they use are full of dirt and grit and will absolutely destroy the paint on your motorhome. Avoid at all cost.


The Blue Beacon we went to did not sure brushes, just pressure wash wands. Did a great job.
rogerfromco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
The Blue Beacon we went to did not sure brushes, just pressure wash wands. Did a great job.
Pressure washing, using the very high pressure hoses the truck washes use is a very bad idea for you paint, sealants, and especially for the plastic protective film. Pressure washing forces water underneath the small holes in the film which then mildews and causes the brown spots we hate so much. Just read the care guide that came with your coach - no pressure washing.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon & Cookie (RIP Coco )
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
This is the solution we came up with to wash/wax the front cap. I know this isn't a practical solution for most people, but I thought I'd share it with you.


The wooden scaffold on the left, is something we already had. It is 4 x 8 and 8 feet high. One end has wheels and we built it, so my wife would have a nice, safe, platform to paint the higher portions of the house. She was able to put an 8 foot step ladder on that too, so she could reach the highest parts of our house when painting. (intentionally offering you this unnecessary detail).



The yellow scaffold on the right is from Harbor Freight and adjusts up to 6 feet. I added the top rail to it. We bought that just before we took these pictures, as it is handy to wash and wax the sides of the RV too and will aid in other tasks around the house, like my wife painting the lower sections.


The only extra thing we had to buy for this scaffold setup to do the cap are 3 2x12 planks, 8 feet long. Those are clamped to the scaffolds so they don't slip off.



The 2 x 12 boards across the front are about 6 feet off the ground and the rig is positioned close to the windshield. Also we made sure that the planks didn't flex down too far and crack the windshield.



Even at 6 feet high, I still found, when I tried to reach up on the cap, I could barely reach up to the marker lights, because the cap slopes out so far. Just so you're aware, than any scaffold similar to this, will still make it hard to get a good reach up. My wife did the roof and reached down from the roof where she was just able to reach the marker lights from above, so we did wash/wax the whole thing, but it was a stretch in both directions.


I agree that finding a way to wash and wax the cap is a real challenge, but at least in our case, we were able to do it as pictured. It's not something we'll setup and do too often.


The big scaffold is high enough so we can use it to step onto the roof, without any additional step.


My wife really appreciates the big scaffold and often reminds me that when we were building the house, I would setup a single plank supported by either 2 x 4s or a handy tree branch for her to walk out onto to work on the house. She really likes the bigger platform, and I like her too.


Do you allow your wife a break so she can fix your meals for you?
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
jcussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,715
Washed mine today, there is a place to put your feet under the MB symbol, just stand there and put my knees against hood and use a brush with a 8 ft pole.
__________________
Foretravel tag axle 40 ft. 500 hp/1550 ft/lbs ism 1455 watts on the roof. 600 a/h's lithium down below.
jcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
front cap



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'18 wayfarer Q :: 2018 tiffin wayfarer QW sue k iRV2 Owners Registry 2 05-28-2019 10:32 AM
Wayfarer :: 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer stevenab iRV2 Owners Registry 0 04-11-2019 03:48 PM
Aero Wash/Wax system Waterless wash countrypair Gear and Product Discussions 25 03-21-2016 06:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.