Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Wayfarer what's your toad

Looking for input. I have a 2018 Wrangler at 4200 lbs.. trying to decide if I will flat tow that or is it just too much ?

Would like to hear what your towing with your Wayfarer.

Rick
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #2

You have to look at your RV's GCWR. Weigh your RV as it is when you're traveling in it, and whatever is left over from that is what you have to work with as far as towing.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You are right at your tow maximum at 4200 lbs - and that is assuming you have not exceeded your GVWR of 11,030 lbs. As long as you don't exceed your GCWR you should be fine.

As far as driveability goes, your fuel mileage will drop 2-3 mpg. If you live where there are mountains, downshift, keep your RPMs up, and enjoy your slow ride up the mountain.

And be sure you have a braking system for the Jeep.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

Follow up

Yes I have weighed everything and I'm under the threshold for gross combined weight by about 150 lbs..

Just wondering what people are actually towing with Wayfarers or Similar Class C such as a Navion.

I don't see to many threads about that.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #5

2021 Chevy Equinox - 3400 lbs.

Tom
Old 07-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer2021 View Post
2021 Chevy Equinox - 3400 lbs.

Tom
How well does it tow and what bar are you using ?
Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

I am using the Blue Ox Ascent tow bar. The car tows just fine but you will know it is back there when you hit some inclines. I really wanted to get a Jeep but could not find one that wasn't at or over the Wayfarer's 4220 lbs tow rating. I did not want to be at the limit. The Equinox is 800 lbs under the limit and leaves me the capacity to carry items that will not fit in the Wayfarer and not count against the Wayfarer's limited OCCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
How well does it tow and what bar are you using ?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #8

It will tow, but I would not recommend it. Based on my experience, I had a 2020 for 2 months and traded it back in on a Phaeton. The Wayfarer is underpowered for towing except flat land and handles poorly under tow, even with Hellwig sway bar, Summo springs and Fix shocks.
resparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #9

Not ideal

We pulled a 2 door jeep behind our Breeze. Bad experience....
Tried to pull behind our new Unity (Mercedes chassis): fine on flats, tough for the engine on the way up, too much weight pushing you going downhill, even with good Jeep brakes.
Had the trans oil changed after our first long trip pulling the Jeep because 'I had a feeling....'.
Good thing I did. More wear than normal, oil in overall bad state after 5000 miles.
New oil, and now towing an older 2200 pound Toyota Corola. I miss my Jeep, but we don't even realize we a re towing. The 1 ton difference is easy on the Mercedes and makes our trip much safer.
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2019 View (same style pretty much as Wayfarer) and right now tow a Honda CRV but are getting ready to buy a 2019 Rubicon fully decked out with 37” tires and ready for Jeeping. It’s used and we don’t have anyplace to weigh it in Moab, UT where we’re picking it up. Hoping it works! I’m driving the Jeep back to home base in Oklahoma while husband tows the Honda. Once we get back we will weight it. May have to take out the seats! ��
RedbirdAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #11

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT with manual transmission.
S. DeGarmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #12

we have a wayfarer, tow a HRV on a dolly w/brakes. works fine. Don't be in a hurry up hills.
salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:14 AM   #13

Tiffin Wayfarer toad.

I have a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer and just completed a 21 day 5000 mile trip from Louisiana to Glacier Montana and back. I pull a 2000 Jeep wrangler avg. 12 mpg up the Mountains probably 9 MPG and never had an issue. I did make a mistake after I got home, without thinking I bought a 2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, thoughts being due to weight limitations in the RV, I could get more storage in the 4 door Jeep come to find out after the purchase that the 4 door wrangler weighed in at 5000# the max that the Wayfarer could tow. So back to the little jeep it pulls just fine and I will have to leave some stuff behind. Love my little jeep more. Anybody need a well equipped Wrangler Unlimited 4 door with winch bumper a really nice vehicle. Let me know $25000. I paid or OBO.
Nealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #14

I think you will find you find a fully loaded Rubicon weighs close to 5000 lbs. That is what it found when I was shopping for a Jeep.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdAZ View Post
We have a 2019 View (same style pretty much as Wayfarer) and right now tow a Honda CRV but are getting ready to buy a 2019 Rubicon fully decked out with 37” tires and ready for Jeeping. It’s used and we don’t have anyplace to weigh it in Moab, UT where we’re picking it up. Hoping it works! I’m driving the Jeep back to home base in Oklahoma while husband tows the Honda. Once we get back we will weight it. May have to take out the seats! ��

Tags
toad