Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #1

Weight issue on Tiffin Wayfarer

We just started shopping for our first RV and are considering the Tiffin Wayfarer. A salesman told us this rig is traded IN the most because of overweight issues. I donít know all the right terminology yet but basically he was saying you canít carry and store much because it becomes overweight and unsafe to drive. He attributes the problem to the high quality materials Tiffin uses which creates the weight issue. I would love some feedback on this.
rtorres52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You may want to watch this video. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...O58GqJSLD9fVDv
Old 07-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

Very informative video, thank you very much, dmckee ! Sounds like the salesman was right on.
This will be very helpful in the choice we make.
rtorres52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:53 AM   #4

They are really nice and handle well in tight places, but in my opinion, not really very practicable except for short weekend trips. I bought a new 2020 Tiffin, kept it 2 months traded it in on a Tiffin Phaeton.

The Wayfayer doesn't handle well on the road even after I installed Hellwig sway bar, Summo springs and Fix shocks. In my experience, it is severely underpowered for towing. 325 ft #s of torque is just enough to power the motorhome. The CCC is terrible, easily overweight the vehicle. Not really good in hills.

Weekend camping only.
resparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:25 AM   #5

Tiffin seems to have put the Wayfarer on a diet in recent years, so be sure to check out the OCCC in newer units verses older units. Two other suggestions on the Sprinter chass - Winnebago View or LTV Unity. LTV in particular has the weight thing under control and builds an exceptionally well assembled rig. I had a 2019 Unity twin bed (no slide floor plan) and the OCCC was 1800ish pounds. It was so well built there was no punch list and no warranty repairs in the two seasons I used it. I moved to a Tiffin class A for more space. In comparison to the LTV, it is kind of slapped together from nice materials.

Iím going to disagree about the power. The Sprinter motorhomes have a much higher power to weight ratio than any Clara A rig, so will accelerate and climb hills quite well. About 60lbs per horsepower vs. 100 or more for a class A rig. I towed my 4200lb Cherokee through the mountain west last summer without difficulty. That said, you notice a 4000lb tow car on the back of an 11,000lb Sprinter much more than on a 25,000lb class A.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by resparry View Post
They are really nice and handle well in tight places, but in my opinion, not really very practicable except for short weekend trips. I bought a new 2020 Tiffin, kept it 2 months traded it in on a Tiffin Phaeton.

The Wayfayer doesn't handle well on the road even after I installed Hellwig sway bar, Summo springs and Fix shocks. In my experience, it is severely underpowered for towing. 325 ft #s of torque is just enough to power the motorhome. The CCC is terrible, easily overweight the vehicle. Not really good in hills.

Weekend camping only.
Nothing could be further from reality. Your RV should match your RV'ing lifestyle, not the other way around. We had a TT for close to 10 years, then our son's Sprinter camper van while he was deployed for 9 months, each served us very well. Now we have a 2021 Wayfarer TW and love it. Wife and I both early 60's, we do plenty of dispersed camping and hiking, the RV size and ability makes it easy for us, it fits in 99% of the state parks. As for weekends only, well, just completed a 10-day trip with our German Shepard and about to go on another, 4600 miles.
The smaller size makes it easy to park anywhere, easy to access trailheads. We do not tow yet, we rent something if we need it where we go, although planning to get a small 4x4 TOAD. Just because your OCCC is x number of pounds does not mean you have to. I rather have a solid build than higher OCCC due to cheap material. We picked Tiffin after a long solid research, customer service was top priority for us as well and tiffin customer service has been exceptional so far. I am planning a lift kit which allow me some more remote flexibility.
In contrast, a very good friend of us bought his class C Coachman last year which has spent 268 / 365 days in service and still no 100% working.
/As they say, just my 2 cents/.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5701_p.png
Views:	7
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	337449  
afeiner13527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, weight