Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I've always heard the the Phaeton was the #1 selling diesel pusher but now I finally have some survey results that not only backs this, but shows even more.

The survey is from Stat Surveys out of Michigan and shows the number of RVs sold. This means sold to end users, not sitting on lots someplace. I have the results for the category of New Class A RVs, Diesel for the 2007 calendar. It's not a complete tally because it's only good through October 2007 so 2 months are missing but the percentages speak for themselves. It clearly shows the Phaeton as # 1 but it also shows the Allegro Bus as #3, which is pretty impressive considering the competition it's up against. Here's the results:

#1 - Tiffin Phaeton - 908 units sold

#2 - Fleetwood Discovery - 724 units sold

#3 - Allegro Bus - 546 units sold

#4 - Gulfstream - 457 units sold

#5 - Diplomat - 452 units sold

#6 - Journey - 409 units sold

#7 - Camelot - 352 units sold

#8 - Revolution LE - 343 units sold

#9 - Endeavor - 307 units sold

It looks like over 1,400 RVers saw the value in Tiffin and bought either a Phaeton or an Allegro Bus. Tiffin must be doing something right.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've always heard the the Phaeton was the #1 selling diesel pusher but now I finally have some survey results that not only backs this, but shows even more.

The survey is from Stat Surveys out of Michigan and shows the number of RVs sold. This means sold to end users, not sitting on lots someplace. I have the results for the category of New Class A RVs, Diesel for the 2007 calendar. It's not a complete tally because it's only good through October 2007 so 2 months are missing but the percentages speak for themselves. It clearly shows the Phaeton as # 1 but it also shows the Allegro Bus as #3, which is pretty impressive considering the competition it's up against. Here's the results:

#1 - Tiffin Phaeton - 908 units sold

#2 - Fleetwood Discovery - 724 units sold

#3 - Allegro Bus - 546 units sold

#4 - Gulfstream - 457 units sold

#5 - Diplomat - 452 units sold

#6 - Journey - 409 units sold

#7 - Camelot - 352 units sold

#8 - Revolution LE - 343 units sold

#9 - Endeavor - 307 units sold

It looks like over 1,400 RVers saw the value in Tiffin and bought either a Phaeton or an Allegro Bus. Tiffin must be doing something right.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Great information Mark. Congrats to Tiffin as well!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #4

Hey! My coach is in the top 10 (gee... never been there before!!).

Congrats to Tiffen being #1!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

That's why I bought a Tiffin. Service combined with floor plan and reputation. I wrote a letter to Bob Tiffin last year and congratulated him on the service he provided to us.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wow!

Those are some amazing numbers. I had no idea that the Phaeton and Bus outsold the competition by so much.

Tiffin Quality is clearly recognized and purchaser's are chosing accordingly.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #7

Hi Mark:

I notice that Sundance is now doing some driving. How's he doing so far?
John95683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tiffin certainly must be doing something right to have both their DP's in the top 3! I seem to remember that the Journey was the #1 selling DP in about 2004/05.

I'm surprised that the Vectra/Horizon did not make the top 10, especially from a company as big as Winnebago.

Gotta applaud Mr. Tiffin...their reputation for excellent customer service is truly legendary.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jOHN95683:
Hi Mark:

I notice that Sundance is now doing some driving. How's he doing so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's doing pretty good. He has problems working the small buttons on the radio but other than that he's okay. After all, he does have a license.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Mark,

Speaking of sales numbers, at one time I think you had a percentage of total units sold for each of the various floorplans sold by Tiffin.

I was curious in the Bus and Phaeton how many 42's they sell compared to 40' models or even the 36 in the Phaeton. I suspect that the 42's are pretty popular with the QRP most likely leading the sales.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My stats are for the 2008 model year (not calendar year) and are only good through 9-30-07, so it's not complete as far as totals go but there's enough data there to make the percentages accurate. I'll only post the percentages here because I'm not sure that Tiffin would want the actual unit numbers sold published on the web.

Phaeton (floor plan/units/percent):

36QSH - 31%
40QDH - 14%
40QSH - 38%
42QRH - 17%

Allegro Bus:

43QRP - 0.3% (only 1 unit but remember, it's a recent release)
40QDP - 11.11%
40QRP - 15.56%
40QSP - 35.56%
42QDP - 4.45%
42QRP - 33.02%

I also have info on the entry level Allegro line and it shows that 41% buy the FRED, 42% buy the Ford, and 17% buy the Workhorse. I knew that the upscale Allegro Bay was heavily weighted towards the FRED but I was surprised that many Allegro buyers went that way.

REgarding the Bus figures, I'd expect that the 43QRP will take away a large amount of sales from the 42QRP so those numbers will change by year-end.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #12

With respect to the Allegro, I am very surprised that the Ford is so much more popular than the Workhorse. Any thoughts on that?

On another thread, it was pointed out that the Allison transmission on the Allegro FRED was inadequate for towing. I wonder how many FRED buyers are aware of this?
John95683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks for the information Mark

It was interesting reviewing and seeing the breakdown by model floorplan.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jOHN95683:
With respect to the Allegro, I am very surprised that the Ford is so much more popular than the Workhorse. Any thoughts on that?

On another thread, it was pointed out that the Allison transmission on the Allegro FRED was inadequate for towing. I wonder how many FRED buyers are aware of this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The base price of an Allegro 34TGA on a Ford 22K chassis is $103,600 while a W22 Workhorse runs $108,710. That's an extra 5 grand and that's hard to justify.

Now, before we get into a Ford versus chevy argument let me state that I'm a Chevy guy. My Suncruiser had the W20 chassis, not a Ford, and I was happy with it. The Workhorse W24 is available on the upscale Allegro Bay and there are no Ford 24K chassis. However, the Allegro only needs a 22K chassis and the Ford offers a significant price difference. Remember, it's also an entry level motorhome so price is more important at this level than in a more upscale RV. I just spent 2-1/2 hours driving in my brother-in-law's 34TGA/Ford last week and I have to admit it's a decent drive (he's a Chevy guy too ). I guess if I had to watch my pennies closely I'd go with the Ford in an Allegro too. With the heavier Allegro Bay I'd move to the FRED.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the towing limitations on the Allegro FRED. Unless you look at the numbers and do the math you won't notice it. And I'm sure that the salesman won't exactly "volunteer" that info beforehand.