Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
That is silly they're on the ceiling. Since heat rises, what you set your thermostat to will not be accurate at normal body living level. For example, if you set it at 72-degrees, you'll be freezing sitting on your couch, but the heat won't kick on because it's a toasty 72-degrees on the ceiling.

Conversely, since your AC vent is right next to it, that'll throw off that setting too. If you set the thermostat at 68-degrees for AC, you'll be roasting on your couch because the sensor is right next to where cold AC air is blowing out on it. The AC will shut off before you even get cool where you're sitting.

You'll have to adjust your thermostat number setting accordingly.

Lori-
The sensor part appears to be inside the return duct. Makes sense.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
All of the round/louvered covers on the ceiling of our coach are vents, not returns. Air conditioned air comes out of them, & heat pump heated air comes out of them. The OP would have to determine if what's shown in their picture is a return or a vent. If a vent, I stand by my prior statement.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #17

Looks like vents to me, no returns.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Are they in the bedroom? I think they are mini cameras
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #19

Quote:
All of the round/louvered covers on the ceiling of our coach are vents, not returns. Air conditioned air comes out of them, & heat pump heated air comes out of them. The OP would have to determine if what's shown in their picture is a return or a vent. If a vent, I stand by my prior statement.

Lori-
The Tiffin Allegro RED which we own has the return vents on one side of the coach and the exhaust vents on the other side. These sensors are in the return vents. I believe this is the same setup.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1946 View Post
The Tiffin Allegro RED which we own has the return vents on one side of the coach and the exhaust vents on the other side. These sensors are in the return vents. I believe this is the same setup.
AFAIK, all Tiffins (at least those built in the "recent" past) are set up the exact same way. Return air vents down the one side of the ceiling, forced air cents down the other side, and yes, those are the thermostat sensors, one for each thermostat which are set near return vents.

I'll also note, that AFAIK, and certainly on my gasser, the forced and return air ducts run unobstructed front to back. So the front heat AC/heat pump does get air to the rear bedroom, and when it is cold overnight I'll close the front 2 forced air vents so more warm air gets forced to the back bedroom. It also allows the front / rear ACs to provide cold air distribution throughout the coach if just one is running or "balance" the cold air if both are running.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Yep... standard Tiffin setup, they are return air ducts. The AC/heat pump should blow out of the vents running up and down the PS, and the returns are the vents running up and down the DS. Also a standard and efficient way of monitoring the internal temperature for the area, just measure the air as the return is sucking it in. Finally, if you look in those returns, you should see charcoal colored foam pads inside of them. Those are your filters. You should periodically unsnap the vents from the outside frame, remove the filters (they should be held onto the inside of the vent by a center snap pin or an outer trim ring) and either wash or replace them to keep your AC/heat pumps happy. One way of telling when those filters need washing/replacing is when you start seeing white dust around the coach.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the clarification on the Tiffin use of vents/returns. Still seems crazy to me to have heat returns on a ceiling . I'd think those returns should be near the floor. Otherwise you are sucking heated ceiling air past a sensor & that'd throw the sensor off.

At least we all know what that "plastic clip" is now though.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the Tiffin use of vents/returns. Still seems crazy to me to have heat returns on a ceiling . I'd think those returns should be near the floor. Otherwise you are sucking heated ceiling air past a sensor & that'd throw the sensor off.

At least we all know what that "plastic clip" is now though.

Lori-
Yes you are right, especially concerning your first post if the temp sensors really were placed by the ducts blowing the air. As far as the vents in the ceiling go, I guess it's a compromise. Yes, you can put the returns in the floor, but then they would be needlessly sucking out and recycling the wanted colder air during the hot summers. My far from professional thought is that the ceiling is probably the lessor of the two evils since there is always the furnace/Aquahot that use the floor level if one doesn't want the higher warmer air sucked back out through the ceiling returns. There is only one AC "level", so I would rather those returns be in the ceiling sucking the warm air during the hotter periods opposed to the floor. Take care...
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What are these plastic clips in the ceiling??

I agree if both supply and return are at the same elevation and especially if they are near each other.

Tags
2015, 28br, allegro, breeze, ceiling, tiffin, tiffin breeze