Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2023, 11:40 AM   #1

What can you use when your RV is under a tarp Cover

Family bought me a RV Cover for Xmas. I plan on using it for 5 months a year.(Winter). Researched some questions and couldn’t find the answers. Covering a 2016 Phaeton 36GH.
With cover on can you:
Clear exhaust and run engine now and then? Does it get air?
Run the heat pump?
Does Satellite work and receive signal?
Can you keep the Maytag House Refrig on while covered.?
I plan on putting tennis balls on the two antenna brackets on the roof?
Do the gutter protectors really work or do you have to use extra protection?

Any any other tips or suggestions? I live in Western Washington where the weather is not too cold and the winds are not that bad. Just waiting for a good dry weekend so the Kids can help me put it on..

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There's no reason to run the engine while it's in storage. You'll do more harm than good unless you take it out for a drive to get all components up to temperature. You can exercise the generator as it draws air from underneath as long as the exhaust pipe is clear of the cover. Putting a load on the generator would be a problem unless you have heated floors and a fireplace.

You can't run the heat pumps as they have to exhaust air out the top and restricting the outflow might burn the condenser fan out.

Satellite will not work unless you have the antenna outside of the cover.

There shouldn't be any problem with the refrigerator as it doesn't exhaust air outside of the coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #3

You can use space heaters to load the gennie, during exercise.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:21 PM   #4

Another PNWer here. One thing about covers, is when the Northeaster is blowing - or any strong winds - they flap and scuff the paint. Make sure it's tied down very well.

Also be very careful when putting it on and taking it off, especially when they are wet. They can be heavy and awkward and if you are working from the roof be very careful you don't get your feet caught up in them lose balance and fall.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:48 PM   #5

RV cover

Now twenty years owning '03 Allegro 30 DH, gas, from new. Several covers over years, currently on second Classic Accessories RV cover via Amazon. In past Found tennis ball fabric would "grab" cover fabric in wind and holes worn through cover when using tennis balls for covering projecting awning arms. On Amazon found hard plastic structure with two straps to stretch across rv top to hold plastic ball in place. Plastic tennis ball like structure has hole in it to fit over projections like our awning arms. The smooth plastic has not worn any holes in the cover in two years--cover seems to slide over plastic with wind action--live in windy area- San Luis Obispo CA. We have run engine each month when covered, plus generator and AC. Do not have your level of TV reception gear. Have not operated refer under cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Malibu View Post
Family bought me a RV Cover for Xmas. I plan on using it for 5 months a year.(Winter). Researched some questions and couldn’t find the answers. Covering a 2016 Phaeton 36GH.
With cover on can you:
Clear exhaust and run engine now and then? Does it get air?
Run the heat pump?
Does Satellite work and receive signal?
Can you keep the Maytag House Refrig on while covered.?
I plan on putting tennis balls on the two antenna brackets on the roof?
Do the gutter protectors really work or do you have to use extra protection?

Any any other tips or suggestions? I live in Western Washington where the weather is not too cold and the winds are not that bad. Just waiting for a good dry weekend so the Kids can help me put it on..

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover