Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
What Exactly is a PowerGlide Chassis?

I know this question may seem a little odd to some, but I'm considering the purchase of a 2016 Allegro Bus with a Cummins ISL 450 on a PowerGlide chassis. I can find lot's of information on the internet, and on this forum about the Bus, but not much about the chassis - even on Tiffin's own website.

So I'm sort of wondering... What EXACTLY IS a Powerglide Chassis? Did it start out as a Freightliner or a Spartin that's been highly customized? Or is it a chassis that is completely different from either of those that has been built specifically by Tiffin from the ground up (like when Monaco used to build the old Roadmaster chassis)?

If it is completely proprietary - unique to Tiffin - then what other commonly available chassis would most folks say that it most closely compares to? And why did Tiffin decide to go this route, rather than using a customizable modular chassis from Freightliner or Spartin as most manufactures do today?

Lastly, if anyone can recommend some links to more information about the PowerGlide Chassis, either on this forum or elsewhere on the internet, I'd be very grateful. All I've been able to find is one Youtube sales video by Tiffin and a 10-year-old PDF fact sheet on rvtechlibrary.com.

Thanks.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Here is a good one along with others

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

We have a 2011 AB on PowerGlide chassis. It is a Tiffin designed and built chassis that used a combination of front and rear axles and some good manufacturing ideas to make a unique chassis.

One thing I really like about our bus is that (with full fuel and 1/2 full of water), we can carry 2,400 lbs of stuff before we are overweight. I put Koni shocks on both axles, I think the chassis rides very well.
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiffin built chassis. Very popular with owners. Running gear and active components are not proprietary to Tiffin, so readily serviced most anywhere. Plus Tiffin has authorized powerglide service facilities around the country.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the answers. 2 Stroker, I hadn't seen that video before and it was informative. I appreciate the link.

heathtx, how much difference did the Koni's make over the Bilsteins? I put Koni shocks on my 2007 Diplomat (which came with Bilsteins) and they did smooth out the ride quite a bit. My 2017 Diplomat (Freightliner XCM chassis) came with tuned Sachs shocks, and they perform beautifully. Does anyone know if Tiffin still uses Bilsteins on newer chassis?

It's good to hear you can get the chassis serviced almost anywhere. That makes sense.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Thanks for the answers. 2 Stroker, I hadn't seen that video before and it was informative. I appreciate the link.

heathtx, how much difference did the Koni's make over the Bilsteins? I put Koni shocks on my 2007 Diplomat (which came with Bilsteins) and they did smooth out the ride quite a bit. My 2017 Diplomat (Freightliner XCM chassis) came with tuned Sachs shocks, and they perform beautifully. Does anyone know if Tiffin still uses Bilsteins on newer chassis?

It's good to hear you can get the chassis serviced almost anywhere. That makes sense.
The video indicates the shocks are Bilstein.

Informative video. Thanks 2 stroker.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
The video indicates the shocks are Bilstein.

Informative video. Thanks 2 stroker.
True, but the video is 10 years old. I was wondering if they might have changed the shocks on the newer more recent PowerGlide chassis.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is an updated video on the dedicated chassis plant that was opened about three years ago.

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
True, but the video is 10 years old. I was wondering if they might have changed the shocks on the newer more recent PowerGlide chassis.
From the video posted above, which is from ten months ago, it looks like Bilstein shocks are on the Powerglide. Go to the 1:50 minute mark for a shot of the front suspension, showing the shock.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
From the video posted above, which is from ten months ago, it looks like Bilstein shocks are on the Powerglide. Go to the 1:50 minute mark for a shot of the front suspension, showing the shock.
Good Catch. I saw that too. I was hoping they were using something better now. The good news for future customers is that the recent video also hinted that they are planning some upgrades to the PowerGlide chassis. Wonder what they'll be.

I'm in Florida tonight. Be at Lazy Days Resort tomorrow. Excited that I'll soon see that 2016 Allegro Bus that I put a "hold deposit" on. I hope it's as sweet as it looks in the pictures.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know if you can tell the difference just in the shape and design of the shock since they are painted, but here's the one under the 2017 Power Glide chassis. You are looking at a whole different suspension system from the Freightliner so you will just have to drive it and decide for yourself about the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerGlide-IFS.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	190991  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
...You are looking at a whole different suspension system from the Freightliner so you will just have to drive it and decide for yourself about the ride.
Thanks for the picture. You are correct - that is completely different than the suspension system on the Frightliner XCM that I currently own.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Good Catch. I saw that too. I was hoping they were using something better now. The good news for future customers is that the recent video also hinted that they are planning some upgrades to the PowerGlide chassis. Wonder what they'll be.

I'm in Florida tonight. Be at Lazy Days Resort tomorrow. Excited that I'll soon see that 2016 Allegro Bus that I put a "hold deposit" on. I hope it's as sweet as it looks in the pictures.
Just be sure you look it over thoroughly , and check every system....at least twice, We bought our 2018 Phaeton new from them ,and any issues we had their techs took care of. We did find a few minor things that we didn"t notice but i was able to take care of them myself. But overall the buying experience was excellent
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant530 View Post
Just be sure you look it over thoroughly , and check every system....at least twice, We bought our 2018 Phaeton new from them ,and any issues we had their techs took care of.
That's very good advise - especially on a pre-owned coach, as they only guarantee fixes for 30 days. I'm here at the campground for a month, so I'll have the time.

Glad your experience was a good one.

Tags
chassis, power