Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

What is the inverter power in the Allegro 36 LA?

Hello,

Is it a smart charger or a dump charger?

Is it possible to upgrade to an 3000 Watts or 2000 Watts when you order it?

If not, is it possible to change it for a more powerful easily?

peprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
In my 2014 36LA with the Res refer and four 6 volt batteries it is a 1250 watt inverter and a 3 stage smart charge system. I would guess that without the RR and only 2 batteries, it would be smaller (750 watts?? maybe?) Upgrade-not that I know of.
Change out? sure ........don't forget the up sized battery cables, fuses and adding more batteries somewhere and running new cables to the back of the bedroom to the fuse box.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

My coach is in storage now so I can't check, but I thought it was a 2000 watt. The residential refrigerator, entertainment system with TV, and the passenger front seat receptacle on the floor definitely are powered by the inverter. It also varies the charge rate as it charges: at deep discharge it is over 14 volts and it tapers back to around 13.5 when full. I don't know if it has an equalizer mode where it goes over 15. I never saw that. I keep my coach plugged in 24-7 for over a year now and have only added a little water one time.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Had a chance to check the inverter today. It is a 1250 watt as Jim posted previously.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peprous View Post
Hello,

Is it a smart charger or a dump charger?

Is it possible to upgrade to an 3000 Watts or 2000 Watts when you order it?

If not, is it possible to change it for a more powerful easily?

Hi Pep,

Almost all of the 2014 36 LA's are equipped with a 1250 watt inverter.

The Tripp-Lite unit has two charging rates low and high.

Yes, inverters are easy to change out but I'm really not sure why you would want to. As other members (KAB) has pointed out your refrigerator, entertainment gear and the pass. outlet are the only 120 volt items that run off inverter power. You would have to change circuits around to run additional equipment. This isn't ease for most lay-folk, so if you decide to go that route be prepared to spent some bucks on your coach electrician.

Remember the 1250 was sized to give you the best time coverage to allow primarily your refrigerator to run while you are underway. As an added perk you can have the kids zone out watching a DVD also while making the journey.

In this situation "less is defiantly more!"
Old 12-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

The Tripplite RV1250ULHW as provided by Tiffin is a THREE stage charger - having Bulk, Absorb, and Float stages like other modern chargers. If you count the Equalize capability like some other manufacturers do, it could be considered a four stage charger.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Only high and low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
The Tripplite RV1250ULHW as provided by Tiffin is a THREE stage charger - having Bulk, Absorb, and Float stages like other modern chargers. If you count the Equalize capability like some other manufacturers do, it could be considered a four stage charger.
I hate to disagree with you Ed but the RV1250 only has to settings 14 or 55 amp low or high as I had replied. The equalization is only used on certain battery types and it is not automatic. You need to slide a momentary switch to engage that feature and every time you decide to do it again.
I have attached some information below from Tripplite's Owners Manual for ready reference.
Battery Charging Amps—OPTIONAL
Check specifications for your unit’s high and
low-charging amp options. By setting
on high charging, your batteries will
charge at maximum speed and your RV
12V DC system loads will be well-supplied.
When setting on low charging, you lengthen the life of your
batteries (especially smaller ones).

Battery Charger Switch Position
Low Charge Amps- Up
High Charge Amps- Down (factory setting)

CAUTION: When switching to the High Charge Amp setting, the user must ensure that the amp hour capacity of their battery system exceeds the amperage of the High Charge Amp setting or the batteries may be damaged or degraded.
Select Equalize Battery Charge—OPTIONAL
This DIP Switch is momentarily engaged to
begin the process of equalizing the charge
state of your battery’s cells by time-limited
overcharge of all cells. This can extend the
useful life of certain types of batteries; consult
with your battery’s manufacturer to determine if your batteries
could benefit from this process. The charge equalization process is automatic;
once started, it can only be stopped by removing the input power.

Setting Procedure
• Move to “Equalize” (DOWN) position for three seconds.
• Move to “Reset” (UP) position and leave it there. This is the factory default setting.

CAUTION: Do not leave DIP switch #B3 in the down position after beginning process. Battery charge equalization should only be performed in strict accordance with the battery manufacturer’s instructions and specifications.

Battery Charge Switch Position
Reset Up (factory setting)
Equalize Down—momentarily
By the way I have attached the remote for the inverter and find that it is quite useful suppling information with the same detail as the LED indicator lights on the inverter. I mounted the small flush mount panel right next to the the Tiffin FW,B,G,LP gauges. I can also select whether I want to set the inverter to charge only or to invert right from the panel without going to the inverter mounted down below.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
How about it is a three stage charger with two charger ranges........like Tripplite says.
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would like to add a suggestion. If Tiffin didn't do it is connect the battery temperature sensor that came with the inverter. The sensor prevents the charger from overheating the batteries during the charge cycle and increases battery life by not over heating them. I have the MRV2012ULHW 2000 watt inverter/charger. As mentioned by Iijbs the optional remote panel is very handy, if you don't have one order and install one.
BTW, I use the Aluminum duct tape for the temp sensor, holds much better then regular duct tape. Most hardware store carry it, I've even seen it at Harbor Freight.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
How about it is a three stage charger with two charger ranges........like Tripplite says.

Thank you. The previous poster clearly does not understand the battery-sizing charge current adjustment of 14/55 amps and the features of the automatic three stage charging capabilities of this unit [ Bulk, Absorb, & Float ]. As you pointed out, the three stage charging capability is clearly indicated in the product specs:
http://www.tripplite.com/rv-power-in...re~RV1250ULHW/

To repeat: the Tripplit RV1250 is a fine modern automatic three stage charger and inverter for your Tiffin with plenty of manual settings to fit various battery bank configurations.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power