Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

What type of slides ?

Hello
Non owner New poster educating myself for a future purchase. I was reading other brand forums and saw on the Monaco board a long (16 pages) discussion regarding the gear box drive for the slide outs and the fact that the mounting bolts would work loose allowing things to twist creating all sorts of troubles.

My question is has Tiffin experienced this sort of issue? I think I saw somewhere that some slides are hydraulic. My first guess is Tiffin is not that style?

Also many posters noted that Monaco service support was very vague about this issue. It seems Tiffin is much better with product support?
Shelbydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to Worry

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your inquiry. Movement is a very serious matter & frankly, I’ve never heard such reporting in my 20+ years of Class A use. Never seen such in my varying brands of ownership.

Based upon what I read on TRVN forum over the years, the usual setup on older (03-09) models was “Electric” on the Driver’s side while using “Hydraulic” on the Passenger side. The mounting for my motor housing is onto a flat steel plate, fully welded to the steel frame. As is considered good practice…doubled-up nuts <or> washered lock nuts and split-rings should ensure these bolts stay put, (once correctly torqued to specification).

I think you are worrying needlessly about a very simple matter. Once Torqued you should be confident that they will stay put. It’s the “shear pins” that connect the drive to the driven rod that are sacrificial in nature. These shear bolts are designed to fail if, for some unknown reason, the stress forces get too great. It’s for this reason that we carry replacement shear pins in our onboard toolset. It’s not the motorgear mounting; but rather the driveshaft shear pins that need seasonal inspection.

FWIW: I make it a practice of marking my bolts with a dab of light-colored paint {a “Witness” Marking) so that I can, on inspection) Tell if the nut has moved even the slightest bit. Newer Tiffin models have the “shorter-travel” Slides using a fully-rack gear affixed to the endwall of the slide. A different animal altogether with that motor’s mounting setup.

Hope this helps to calm your worry. Again, welcome aboard; and if you are not too busy, consider to join the tiffinrvnetwork.com forum for more information.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Thank you 62Morgan. Since you are the only reply I'm guessing Tiffin has little or no issue with mounting bolts loosening up. The number of people on the Monaco board reporting problems were quite high to the point were it was a twice a year check point.

Thank you again
Shelbydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin uses a combination of hydraulic and electric depending on the model - and it has changed over the years.

I have not heard of any problems with loosening slide bolts on any of the models.

Tiffin has excellent support and also a very active owner supported website. If you serious about a Tiffin you should join the tiffinrvnetwork.com.

Good luck with your research.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide