Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

What would you do?

A couple weeks ago l posted an article entitled "Frustrated RVer", which pertained to a new (34TGA) RV we purchased February 2012. We have not been able to use the RV, because it loses power. We now have 4966 miles on the coach. When we picked it up it had 2300. We put an additional mileage of 2600 taking it back and forth from our coast home to Portland to try to have warranty work done. It has been in one dealership or another for a total of 119 days trying to get someone to correct the problem. No one was willing or seemed to be even interested in correcting the problem.
I finally received an offer from the manufacturer.
They are offering to replace my coach with another coach, but they can't replace it with another 2012, because there are none to be found. They have offered to replace it with a 1213, but I need to pay the difference of $12,000.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
jkcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcole View Post

A couple weeks ago l posted an article entitled "Frustrated RVer", which pertained to a new (34TGA) RV we purchased February 2012. We have not been able to use the RV, because it loses power. We now have 4966 miles on the coach. When we picked it up it had 2300. We put an additional mileage of 2600 taking it back and forth from our coast home to Portland to try to have warranty work done. It has been in one dealership or another for a total of 119 days trying to get someone to correct the problem. No one was willing or seemed to be even interested in correcting the problem.
I finally received an offer from the manufacturer.
They are offering to replace my coach with another coach, but they can't replace it with another 2012, because there are none to be found. They have offered to replace it with a 1213, but I need to pay the difference of $12,000.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I know none of this seems fair, however unless your state has a very understandable "lemon" law that enables you to save court cost, if any, attorney fees, etc., etc. I would offer to split the difference and take the 2013 and be happy! JMO!

BTW:
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Considering that it's pretty much a given that they will not swap even up, I think I would offer them $4,000 plus your coach just to make it clear that $12,000 is a little much considering the circumstances. They will cough, choke and gag on that, when they do remind them of what you've gone through and the expenses that you have incurred at their direction. They'll counter your offer. When they do, try to get them to settle on splitting the difference at $6,000. What's the worst that will happen?
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd offer then $3000. and no more. You could also request reimbursement for all of the fuel you spent traveling back and forth. Say 2600 miles at 8 mpg ...that is 325 gallons of fuel at a cost of close to $1300. Not to say anything about your time wasted driving 2600 miles.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #5

You say that you "got an offer from the mfg". I don't know who you talked to, but I would be talking only with Bob Tiffin. His track record for fairly resolving problems is well known.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
A little known fact is that the Customer Service Manager at Tiffin is also their Corporate Counsel. A least that was the case a year ago. Tiffin has a history of resisting replacing a coach in court actions. If you have an offer to swap the coach out for a 2013 in writing that is a good indication that they believe they have some legal exposure. That should put you in a position to negotiate on the difference. Tiffin may take a hardball approach and say take it or leave it. Bob Tiffin's classic answer is "Bring it to Red Bay and I'll make it right.", so I don't know how much he would help since an offer to replace has been made. I would continue to negotiate in good faith and see what happens. Please let us kown.

You may also get some good feedback at Tiffin RV Network. They are not associated with Tiffin, but a very active group of Tiffin owners, former owners, and RVer's.

A Google search would probably find a few new 2012 34TGA's around the country in dealer stock.
Dave