RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

What year is that sweet spot?

We had a 40' 2006 Phaeton, and we loved it, BUT every time we stopped, something else would go wrong.

Now TBH, 95% of the time I could fix it, but it drove my wife crazy. One time a furnace failed, next a fuse was blown, then we had overheating problems, etc.

So we sold it due to the fact we knew we couldn't use it the last half of this year due to some family issues, and because there was still lots we couldn't see because of all the covid issues.

We decided that we will buy another unit, early (?) next year, (assuming the country isn't still on lockdown) and want a newer version of what we had before, or passible a little smaller, like a Tiffin Allegro RED.

OF course I want the newest coach we can afford, and she wants the cheapest coach we can find that's reliable.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how old of a unit we should be looking at? I want a 2015 to 16, and she wants to spend only $120K.

We both can compromise up and down, but I'm just looking for some input on maybe where we could get the best bang for the buck compromising age VS. cost.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

Based on owner responses on this site and the Tiffin Owners website 2013 thru 2015 seem to be the least problematic of Tiffin coaches especially in the Phaeton and Allegro Bus models. The Allegro RED not so much but still better than later model years which seem to have a multitude of problems across all models.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

I had my 2001 motorhome for 15 years. The only things I replaced are house batteries (once) and tires(once.) Otherwise, I had no problems with it. My second one I owned for 5 years and had zero problems with it. They were gassers.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

I personally would have kept the pre-emission 2006 over anything newer but I also do all my own work. Good luck on the hunt for a new rig!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
I personally would have kept the pre-emission 2006 over anything newer but I also do all my own work. Good luck on the hunt for a new rig!
X2, I wouldn't trade my 04 Phaeton for a 2014 straight across
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2014 Phaeton QBH was basically trouble free. It was never back to a dealer of factory.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Doing most of my own repairs I would opt for the older version every time. ESPECIALLY pre DEF and all of the associated junk that goes along with it.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Based on owner responses on this site and the Tiffin Owners website 2013 thru 2015 seem to be the least problematic of Tiffin coaches especially in the Phaeton and Allegro Bus models. The Allegro RED not so much but still better than later model years which seem to have a multitude of problems across all models.
No problems except some little niggling things most of which I fixed myself on our 2019 OR. Chalk up one without a multitude of problems!
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote