Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
When does Generator run out of fuel?

My 7.5 Onan quit with trouble code 36 - "engine stopped without command by controller". Appears to often be fuel related. I will replace the fuel filter. But I am at about 1/2 tank of fuel and plan to leave it until December 1st when the local stations receive their first load of #1 diesel. I plan to take the coach ('03 Allegro Bus) south in January and want to make sure I have no fuel trouble. I like a 50/50 blend. I've used up most of summer's B-10 and have mostly B-5 in the tank now, so I should be good that way. But it seems funny that I'd loose fuel to the generator at 50% full.

Is there a better sub-forum for genset issues?
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #2

Have a 2003 Allegro Bus that had similar generator shut off issues. Tiffin installed an additional inline fuel filter before the generator. Changing the filter on the generator itself did not resolve the issue. Getting rid of the extra inline filter did. No problems since.

FYI, the generator should shut off due to low fuel around 1/4 tank.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, Zeb! I'll trace out the fuel lines and see what I find! Wonder what NAPA will say when I tell them I don't need that filter I ordered yesterday?!!
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would keep that filter as a spare. Never hurts to have a spare! Also although you may get away with it, I always fill the tank with fuel when the coach will sit for a month or so. The reason is biofuel and algae. Algae can be an expensive and debilitating problem with biofuel. Keeping the tank full is recommended by many. I also put Stabil for diesel in mine while sitting. I sure don't want to get stopped on the side of the road due to algae clogging the filters!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

the generator should not run below a 1/4 of tank. as i have 1/8 according to my fuel gauge on dash and I ran generator while cleaning it the other day... tells me my fuel gauge is really inaccurate... could yours also be off ?
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator