RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
When to level

Should i level before or after I put slides out.

Mirbigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What does you're owners manual say?
Some say put slides out then level, others (like ours) say level first then put slides out.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Yep. It depends on your RV. Do what Mr_D suggested & go by what your owner's manual states. We can only offer up what is specific to our own RV's.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Level then put the slides out. Pull the slides in before you go jacks up.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on the your rig. Check your owners manual.

This has been discussed here before and it's truly like asking which is better Ford or Chevy.

My manual says slides out then jacks down when setting up. Jacks up then slides in when tearing down. Safari Cheetah 40' 2009.

If you use the search feature at the top of the page you will find many opinions on your question. I think the best advice is to go with the manufacturer's recommendation as they understand your slides, chassis, loading, etc...
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If I'm on solid surface, asphalt, concrete, I level first. If on grass or gravel I'll put the slides out then level.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Level then put the slides out. Pull the slides in before you go jacks up.
Historyljc gives what I believe is the correct information for all TIFFIN motorhomes - level first, then put out slides. As he says, reverse the order for departure. Some other manufacturers have a different procedure, but if you have a Tiffin, follow historyljc's advice.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As some slightly pitched sites do not trouble me; I often find one steep enough that gives me cause for concern.

I believe the Fine point in the two different recommendations is the fact that the cantilevered outrigger weight of a deployed slide-out will force a re-adjustment of the leveling system to fine-tune the newer weight distribution. No two slide-outs will offset each other as they vary greatly.

Mine has two slides on the same side of the coach; I level-First with an additional lift adjustment on the known "weighty" side. [side=off bubble] ...Then put out the slides, confident that I've anticipated the slides effect.

I follow the reasoning that you must keep the coach box and slide-out box perfectly "Square" when either extending or withdrawing. I certainly cannot afford to have distortion in shape while the mechanism is doing it's hearty best to move the box within a framed sidewall opening. I want stress loads on gears, rack and related components to be as uniformly distributed even as it was engineered to do. I don't want the gaskets nor underbelly rollers to have uneven loads applied because of being out-of-square. I will always "Level" first...
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Listen to what the manufacturer says. I think Monaco is the only one that says deploy then level. They however build their coaches different than Tiffin. Tiffin says level then deploy and that's exactly what I do.
Dan
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, you posted in the Tiffin Owner's Forum, and as well you should. Go with the advice of the manual as suggest. Tiffin owners also have experience and their advice should be taken into consideration.

Logically, and especially for my large 23 foot slide (may be longer) I always level first. If I don't, then that slide will creak, groan, and possibly give a fault indicator, but depending entirely on the slope. Once leve, I extend then do a tweak adjustment if necessary. Not many times is a tweak adjustment necessary, but maybe a day or two later for extended stays.

Good luck, and read the manual.

Oh! And I never level or extend without the motor running. The current draw can be quite high and the alternator give and additional oommfff.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

My HWH manual, from the folks that made my slides, says level first, then put the slides out, IF you have air leveling. If you have jacks, it says to put the slides out before you level.

I have air leveling and it seems logical to me, make sure the "big box" is square before moving the "little boxes" out.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
My HWH manual, from the folks that made my slides, says level first, then put the slides out, IF you have air leveling. If you have jacks, it says to put the slides out before you level.

I have air leveling and it seems logical to me, make sure the "big box" is square before moving the "little boxes" out.
Big box...little box....
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
If I'm on solid surface, asphalt, concrete, I level first. If on grass or gravel I'll put the slides out then level.
I don't think that's what your manual says. Bet it says put the jacks down and level, then deploy the slides.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Oh! And I never level or extend without the motor running. The current draw can be quite high and the alternator give and additional oommfff.
Our manual says much the same except either on shore power, engine running or the AP running. It just needs the extra power to work correctly.