Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Where do I put the cable box?

So I just got a box for cable. Have the wire from the tripod that comes in above the pax seat going into the cable modem and cable TV box, but can't find an RG6 cable that obviously connects to all the TVs. I know it must be in here somewhere, because I can get OTA channels when I scan with the power antenna turned on.

Speaking of... to the right of the front TV, above the steps, is a door with the antenna power switch (on/off), as well as the HD View 360 Mini State box (not sure what it's for exactly; never touched it before). Also in that cupboard is an RG6 female port with nothing plugged into it. Is this where an external signal is supposed to connect? If so, it makes no sense, since there isn't room in there for a cable box. And in the tangle of wires above the passenger seat where the surround sound used to be, there is no RG6 cable that obviously connects to the TVs.

TIA for any insight on using a cable box!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
are there any "output" cables in the box with the RG6 connector? you could also check the satellite output (on the roof) and see if it's also marked RG6.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a satellite RG6 cable above the pax seat. Didn't think about using that, lemme try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
are there any "output" cables in the box with the RG6 connector? you could also check the satellite output (on the roof) and see if it's also marked RG6.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

HDMI mistake

I have a 2013 pheaton QBH and it came wired with all HDMI cables the only problem is the sat antenna is not HD I asked Tiffin why they didn't marry RG6 and HDMI to either could be used, they did not have an answer. I have Direct TV and ended up get a HR24 box which is the smallest box DTV make in HD. I still done get HD but at least I can watch TV
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thinking I might have a bad cable box. Tech is coming on Tuesday to troubleshoot with me.

I DID discover that if I plug the cable box into the Winegard connection above the windshield in front of the pax seat, I DO get signal to the TVs. Still doesn't make sense to me that there is no provision for connecting a cable box in the cabinet above the pax seat.

Also, if I connect the cable from the pedestal to the R/H TRIPOD connection in the wet bay, I get cable into the RV. But if I connect it to the L/H side, I get nothing. Why is that? Why are there two RG6 connectors in the wet bay?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
Also, if I connect the cable from the pedestal to the R/H TRIPOD connection in the wet bay, I get cable into the RV. But if I connect it to the L/H side, I get nothing. Why is that? Why are there two RG6 connectors in the wet bay?
It sounds like your connectors may be reversed. Normally the cable one is for park cable and the tripod is for a carryout satellite antenna.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Both connectors in the wet bay are under the TRIPOD label. Neither says cable nor satellite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It sounds like your connectors may be reversed. Normally the cable one is for park cable and the tripod is for a carryout satellite antenna.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
Both connectors in the wet bay are under the TRIPOD label. Neither says cable nor satellite.
Maybe the label fell off. Mine are for labeled cable and tripod.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
So to get back to my issue... why is there no cable TV output (from cable box to TVs) in the cabinet above the pax seat? I have cable in, which works for internet and into the cable box, but I have no output to feed the signal from the cable box to the TVs? Strange...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Update on my cable situation - technician came by today. Couldn't get my cable box to work. So he got another one out of the truck. Didn't work. Plenty of signal, but with RG6 as well as Component, no picture. Got a third cable box out of his truck, just to be sure. Nada. Zip. Uh-uh. Tech thinking it was an RV wiring issue, until I showed him how well the OTA channels came in thru the power antenna.

Asked him to try just one more cable box. Said he had a different type, something about the X1 platform. Supposed to be for another customer. But he got it for troubleshooting purposes. Had to call the office to register it to my account. After about 5 minutes.... BAM! I had cable! Amazing. 3 bad cable boxes in a row. Who'd a thunk it? So he let me keep the box, said he would get another one for the intended customer. Gave me an extra remote (why not, the boxes were bad anyway, right?). Good customer service by a Comcast contract technician.

On a side note, looked in the wet bay again. The connections are indeed labeled - left is CABLE, right is TRIPOD. However... in order to get cable into the coach, I have to use the TRIPOD connection. Just a guess, but perhaps Tiffin wired them backwards at the wet bay?