Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Where is the BIRD?

I have a 2011 Zephyr that I am having a house battery charging challenge.

Researching this Forum it is suggestive that I look at the BIRD.

Only issue is....I can't find it. I understand it is usually located in the PS rear electrical compartment where the charging solenoid is located, but it is not there.

Does anyone know where the BIRD is located on a 2011 Zephyr?

Thank you in advance.
Flying_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

Some systems don't have a BIRD but use a small section of the control board.

Follow the wire from the small terminal on the charging solenoid.

Post some pictures, that may help.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin, to the best of my knowledge, has never used the BIRD system in its coaches.

Either you have a bad charge relay or you are not waiting long enough to measure whether or not the system is charging. Older Tiffins had a several minute delay built into the system before the house batteries started to charge.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Twinboat....here are some pics on my panel.

The original issue was I noticed the engine alt was not charging the house batteries while driving. While connected to shore power the house batteries charge. While running the genset the house batteries charge.

While pressing the Aux Battery switch the Charging Solenoid "thunks" and connects the house and chassis batteries.

Since the Charging Solenoid appears to be energizing I suspected the BIRD as the culprit.

All ideas are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211114_121301.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	348828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211114_121315.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	348829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211114_121322.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	348830  
Old 11-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tiffin started installing BIRDs around 2015 or 2016. Our 2014 Allegro Bus does not have one. (In getting ready to install one.) Instead it has a solenoid to combine the 2 banks temporarily via a boast switch on the dash to allow you to start. The solenoid is located in the same bay as the house batteries. The chassis batteries have a battery tender plugged into a 120v outlet above the batteries.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #6

The clunk you hear is the solenoid coil pulling the plunger in. In many cases the internal contacts are not connecting due to burnt contacts.

You need a volt meter to see if it's actually working or just making noise.

One of the small wires of the circled solenoid goes to a control box, if you have bi-directional charging.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211114-163543.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	348842
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_W View Post
Twinboat....here are some pics on my panel.

The original issue was I noticed the engine alt was not charging the house batteries while driving. While connected to shore power the house batteries charge. While running the genset the house batteries charge.

While pressing the Aux Battery switch the Charging Solenoid "thunks" and connects the house and chassis batteries.

Since the Charging Solenoid appears to be energizing I suspected the BIRD as the culprit.

All ideas are appreciated.
There isn't a BIRD in those pictures (or I missed it, if there is!). It looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Intellitec-B-.../dp/B00A2TFEVY

The BIRD is not a difficult installation, nor are the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start solutions others favor.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

I want to thank everyone for their input.

While checking the voltage on any battery cable I could find I found a drop in voltage in the battery compartment. I was able to isolate the drop to 1 ground cable that connects to the buss strip behind the battery disconnect. The house battery voltage was lower when grounding the voltmeter to the ground cable than grounding the voltmeter directly to the chassis.

Somewhere along the way, someone had double stacked a ground cable on top of another ground cable and there was corrosion where the 2 cables touch. There was enough corrosion on one ground cable end that it actually had pitting on it.

I disconnected all of the +/- cables from their respective buss bar, cleaned the cable ends and their respective stud on the buss bar. I also cleaned mated sides of the brass nuts.

I separated the 2 negative overlapped cables and connected each separately to the buss bar.

Once I reconnected all of the +/- cables I no longer had any voltage drop between any cables. When I start the engine the alternator is now charging the house batteries. I also had a flickering on my Magnum Panel before and it is now steady.

I am attributing the charging issue to a faulty ground behind the house battery cutoff switch.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #9

Thank you for the follow up on your problem. It is so helpful to us that have not yet experienced the issue or fix for it.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird