Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

Which rooftop hat on 36GH is for solar pre-wire?

Hi,
I just hauled two solar panels up on the roof and was getting ready to secure them close to what I thought was the hat for the solar pre-wire. It's about midway between front and back, close to the vent and skylight for the bathroom. Then I noticed a second hat closer to the back of the coach. Now I wonder which one is for solar and what the other one is for. There's a bit more rooftop real estate for the solar panels further back but I thought the forward hat might make a little more sense for shorter wiring length to the controller above the driver's dash. I hope someone might be able to answer this, otherwise I'll have to remove possibly both hats to determine which one is for solar, then seal them back up. The panels currently aren't secured, so I'm hoping no strong wind gusts come along.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #2

Don’t know your rig but ours is a 19 OR 32SA with four “hats”.

One right in front of front AC is for the sat dish we did not get. One in middle of the coach is Travlr prewire we had installed. Further back center is the Connect 2.0 wire we asked for as a special they agreed to do. Haven’t looked yet but expect it is just a standard yellow and white wire under there.

Finally, off center toward the driver side a bit behind where the driver sits is the solar wire.

I am certain of all of these as I asked Tiffin to send me a roof schematic and they obliged. I’ve never figured out how to attach it to a post here.
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Here are a couple pictures I took which hopefully may help. The hat closer to the back of the coach is inside the red oval. The hat closer to the front is inside the red rectangle. Plus, does anyone know what that tubular bracket is for...the one within the red diamond?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof from back.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	327717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof from front.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	327718  

Old 05-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #4

Inside the red diamond is a plumbing vent.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:28 AM   #5

Which rooftop hat on 36GH is for solar pre-wire?

We have an 18GH. The forward cap (red square) above the bathroom is for the solar and should have wiring into the driver side cabinet (where our awning control & TV antenna switches are, not the front cap cabinet) and then into the battery compartment. The rear cap (red circle) is for the prewire for a Travler Dish for TV. Good luck!
ZarkXeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:15 AM   #6

Thanks, everybody!

I opened both hats before reading the last post but am pleased that the hats are designed decently, not needing to be resealed completely. The interior channel on the plastic base should be sufficient to keep rain from coming in. The sealant on the hats seems to be just to keep the screws in place so the hats don't come off in the wind.

The back hat is as ZarkXeno described. I opened it first and saw that the taped bundle of wires wasn't consistent with the 2-wire solar connection. Once I opened up the front hat, removed the caulk and pulled the yellow & white wires through I confirmed (by shorting them together) that they led to the wires that will go into the controller. Now I can confidently mount the solar panels pretty much where they were originally placed. I screwed both hats on and should receive the ceiling entry plate tomorrow. I'll wait for the sun to dry up any dew on the roof before I ensure the mounting points are clean and dry, then secure the panels with Sikaflex 221 and screws. I'll also reseal the screws on the back hat. I assume I'll need to remove the entire hat base prior to attaching the ceiling entry plate for the solar. Here are pictures with the hats opened...the back hat first and the midship hat second:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back hat opened.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	327738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front hat opened.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	327739  

Old 05-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarkXeno View Post
We have an 18GH. The forward cap (red square) above the bathroom is for the solar and should have wiring into the driver side cabinet (where our awning control & TV antenna switches are, not the front cap cabinet)
On my rig the TV antenna outlet is directly above the passenger-side dash. The awning control (and front slides and Magnum controller) are in the cabinet above the driver's seat backrest. I opened that cabinet first in hopes of finding the solar wiring. My solar wiring comes down next to the front TV, directly above the dash gauges. I've now got the controller wired to the batteries...all I need now is to connect the solar panels up, connect the wires to the controller and screw the cabinet panels back in. I will probably need an extension wire to go from the passenger-side panel to the ceiling entry plate.

I called Tiffin to ask about where to connect the wires in the battery bay. I was told to connect direct to the batteries. I thought there were two possibilities: before or after the cutoff switch. If before (or directly to the batteries), turning the switch off would cut ALL 12V power to the house but if the rig were parked inside a garage for an extended period of time the controller might drain the battery. I suppose just pulling the inline fuse out would prevent that.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

The solar panels are now secured. I redeployed my little rubber friend to discourage any feathered friends from soiling my new panels. I understand that it may be a good idea to route the wiring from the panels to the entry plate through a protective channel/duct. Any suggestions for what is best for that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar panels secured.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	327760  

Tags
roof, solar