Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Why go back to Red Bay for repairs?

Why do so many people go back to Red Bay for repairs? Doesn't Tiffin have plenty of trained warranty places nation wide? I saw someone take possession of a new 45LP at a dealer. There check engine light came on as it was being delivered to the dealer for prep and they drove it back to Red Bay. Doesn't that dealer have competent techs to work on it? If not, I think I would be looking at other dealers. Am I missing something? We are in the market to upgrade our '07 40 ft. Phaeton to a new bus and are wondering what Tiffin's nation wide warranty network looks like.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Uon View Post
Why do so many people go back to Red Bay for repairs? .........
I can assure you it isn't because of the gourmet restaurants !

Seriously, I think many Tiffin owners have concluded that waiting for repairs in RB, where they have all of the parts and knowledgeable installers, is far better than waiting on a "local" dealer to figure out what parts are needed and then waiting on those parts to be ordered, shipped, and installed. Sometimes, these delays start all over again, after the parts originally ordered by the dealer don't fix the problem.

Same thing can be said about other coach builders factory service, so this is not meant to be criticism of Tiffin's dealer network. However, many have found factory service to be "cheaper"....for a variety of reasons, such as the savings on shipping costs and Mr. Bob's "good will" repairs the dealer simply can't afford to provide.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to WILL MARTIN
We purchased a 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA on Feb. 8, 2014 in Sacramento, California from Happy Daze RV and took delivery on February 24, 2014. This coach was at an indoor RV show for a week, so we agreed to wait until the show was over to take delivery. We brought the coach home and continued to get familiar with it, as this is our very first motorhome we ever purchased. As we did, we noticed items that needed repair. Some of the repairs included the left tail light had cut wires (light didn't work at all), the shower is cracked at the soap dish, the kitchen faucet was leaking/aerator broken, cracked paint on the seams of the exterior of the coach at edge of slide out, screen door would not unlatch from the front door(handle put on wrong, generator bolt unscrewed do to cross threaded, coach out of alignment, and many areas of sloppy work with globs of black goo and silicone smeared on several areas inside the coach. We were pretty disappointed in the quality control with the reputation that Tiffin has. We brought the motorhome back to the dealer on March 3 - one week after we took delivery. As of today, March 27, 2014, this coach is still at the dealer. We were told (3/19/2014) that the dealer’s service department was waiting for Tiffin’s authorization for exterior paint work, and had just received authorization to repair the cracked shower. Also told on 3/24/14 that the parts would be in on 3/25/14 an installed then off to paint dept.
My question is why weren't the parts ordered and the authorition request put in on 3/4/14 the day after we dropped it off

We are anxious to get our coach back and use it as while it sits at the dealer’s Service Department’s lot, which is very bothersome to us. Seems the dealer is in no hurry to get the coach back to its owners as we had an appointment on March 3 but the coach sat in their lot for another week before they even got to it.

We are not familiar with warranty repair work on a brand new coach. Is this a normal situation/timeline for warranty repair work or is it the repair shop?
WILL MARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL MARTIN View Post

We are not familiar with warranty repair work on a brand new coach. Is this a normal situation/timeline for warranty repair work or is it the repair shop?

Yes, this is exactly the way every RV dealer I have dealt with has operated. That's one reason I take mine to an independent RV repair facility or back to Red Bay.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Because going to Red Bay is a rite of passage. All Tiffin owners should go there at least once. There is nothing like sitting on an abandoned air field in a tiny town located in a dry county where the biggest attraction is a bunch of dead dogs just a few miles away (Coon Dog Cemetery).
It's like a cult, just drink the Kool Aid.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Selah;1985802]Because going to Red Bay is a rite of passage. All Tiffin owners should go there at least once. There is nothing like sitting on an abandoned air field in a tiny town located in a dry county where the biggest attraction is a bunch of dead dogs just a few miles away (Coon Dog Cemetery).
It's like a cult, just drink the Kool Aid.[/QUOTE]
Selah nailed it. Classic!

All that "logic" stuff I posted just can't compare to concise (and true) humorous commentary. I love it. Ed
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Because going to Red Bay is a rite of passage. All Tiffin owners should go there at least once. There is nothing like sitting on an abandoned air field in a tiny town located in a dry county where the biggest attraction is a bunch of dead dogs just a few miles away (Coon Dog Cemetery).
It's like a cult, just drink the Kool Aid.
Can't think of a better reason not to buy Tiffin!
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Can't think of a better reason not to buy Tiffin!
Each to their own. You do know that you are on the Tiffin page.
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL MARTIN View Post
We purchased a 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA on Feb. 8, 2014 in Sacramento, California from Happy Daze RV and took delivery on February 24, 2014. This coach was at an indoor RV show for a week, so we agreed to wait until the show was over to take delivery. We brought the coach home and continued to get familiar with it, as this is our very first motorhome we ever purchased. As we did, we noticed items that needed repair. Some of the repairs included the left tail light had cut wires (light didn't work at all), the shower is cracked at the soap dish, the kitchen faucet was leaking/aerator broken, cracked paint on the seams of the exterior of the coach at edge of slide out, screen door would not unlatch from the front door(handle put on wrong, generator bolt unscrewed do to cross threaded, coach out of alignment, and many areas of sloppy work with globs of black goo and silicone smeared on several areas inside the coach. We were pretty disappointed in the quality control with the reputation that Tiffin has. We brought the motorhome back to the dealer on March 3 - one week after we took delivery. As of today, March 27, 2014, this coach is still at the dealer. We were told (3/19/2014) that the dealer’s service department was waiting for Tiffin’s authorization for exterior paint work, and had just received authorization to repair the cracked shower. Also told on 3/24/14 that the parts would be in on 3/25/14 an installed then off to paint dept.
My question is why weren't the parts ordered and the authorition request put in on 3/4/14 the day after we dropped it off

We are anxious to get our coach back and use it as while it sits at the dealer’s Service Department’s lot, which is very bothersome to us. Seems the dealer is in no hurry to get the coach back to its owners as we had an appointment on March 3 but the coach sat in their lot for another week before they even got to it.

I highly recommend you call Bob Tiffin directly & let him know what's going on, he can and will intervene and get you going. Bob does take customer's calls personally and does follow through to insure your problems are taken care of without needing to drive all the way to Red Bay.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE=edgray;1985890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
It's like a cult, just drink the Kool Aid.[/QUOTE]
Selah nailed it. Classic!

All that "logic" stuff I posted just can't compare to concise (and true) humorous commentary. I love it. Ed
Dont forget the Rattlesnake Saloon! Yee haw!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to WILL MARTIN
Well, we p/u our MH yesterday from the dealers service dept. after they had it 4 wks. My wife did email the Tiffins, Billy called the dealer. The dealer put up a smoke screen. The area rep. did go by and check on it and got thing rolling. Every thing was done that was listed. Come to find out Happy Daze RV Sac. Ca. has some very bad ratings on Yelp. We love this coach, it is a great product. So off we go next Thurs. to Sunday. CHEERS!
WILL MARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #12

[QUOTE=BoogieMan;1986836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Dont forget the Rattlesnake Saloon! Yee haw!
I 2nd the Rattlesnake Saloon. Actually enjoyed that.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #13

I can't accept the credit for that saloon comment. That was made by "BoggieMan". Ed
Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been here at Red Bay since January watching our new 45LP be built.

Outside Our Bubble | Stepping out of our comfort zone

Then we followed it to the dealership which was only 142 miles away. Driver said check engine light came on. Dealer, located in Memphis, called 4 different shops, including the Cummins dealer and no one was wanting to work on it. I think it was because we were a motor home and not a truck. The Cummins dealer did say they could get us in but it would be a week or so. We didn't want to wait a week just sitting there so Tiffin said to bring it back to Red Bay. We did just that and we got right in. While here we decided to get a couple other items looked at.

This is our first Tiffin but I must say, the customer service at Tiffin is great. I would certainly bring back our coach here to the people that built it and have the parts and knowledge on hand than be at the mercy of a service center elsewhere. They have a ton of service bays, a full paint shop, wood shop, mechanics shop and everything else you can think of, right here on the premises. So service moves along pretty nicely as opposed to sitting somewhere waiting for parts and hoping the guy knows what he's doing. Unless you have a place you trust, then by all means go there. You may just be waiting a while.

Plus, an added bonus is you are sitting amongst other Tiffin owners and you all can compare notes and make sure everything is up to snuff. Some things we've seen on other coaches sitting here we liked and some employees work after hours to do modifications to coaches. So we are having some mods done as well.

Tags
repair, repairs