Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #29

Plugged in or Batteries Out

In responds to BAura question.

We leave our coach plugging into a 15 amp household outlet all winter. It keeps the batteries charged and the 2 electronic mouse deterrent devices operation. Never had any problems in 15 years during Minnesota winters.
Brian O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #30

How do I get the antifreeze in the black tank flush line?
TurtleB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #31

Poor it into the toilet and flush
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlteB52 View Post
How do I get the antifreeze in the black tank flush line?

I use a large diameter vinyl hose about 3’ long with an male hose end fitting on one end. Screw it into the female flush fitting and hold the other end up so it’s vertical. Fill the hose with anti-freeze and then use air pressure (low pressure, 25-30 psi) and push it into the flush system. I do this twice then check the flush valve under the sink for evidence that anti-freeze has passed through it.

Hope that makes sense.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I use a large diameter vinyl hose about 3’ long with an male hose end fitting on one end. Screw it into the female flush fitting and hold the other end up so it’s vertical. Fill the hose with anti-freeze and then use air pressure (low pressure, 25-30 psi) and push it into the flush system. I do this twice then check the flush valve under the sink for evidence that anti-freeze has passed through it.

Hope that makes sense.
Now that's a head scratcher. You have a black tank flush valve under a sink, in the coach?
I really don't think it is even necessary to get antifreeze into the black tank flush line. It should gravity drain right to the tank. But, in case the small holes in the flush line at the tank are plugged, you could simply air purge the line with 30-40 psi of air pressure. We are just trying to eliminate any areas where water can be trapped with no room to expand as it freezes.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Antifreeze or air?

I'm in the "both" camp as well; it depends on what appliances you have in the coach. I don't know of any way to use air to clear the pipes to the washer & dishwasher; I instead run those on a short cycle with the FW pump drawing on the antifreeze. I also have the icemaker go through a cycle to make pink slush. Air is needed to blow out the city water supply hose (I disconnect the FW supply downstream of the FW tank).
PLColman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #35

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks that's kinda what I was thinking but I just really didn't know. I will get it a try tomorrow.
TurtleB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
Now that's a head scratcher. You have a black tank flush valve under a sink, in the coach?

I really don't think it is even necessary to get antifreeze into the black tank flush line. It should gravity drain right to the tank. But, in case the small holes in the flush line at the tank are plugged, you could simply air purge the line with 30-40 psi of air pressure. We are just trying to eliminate any areas where water can be trapped with no room to expand as it freezes.

Valve referred to is the vacuum break, which is in fact under the sink.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Valve referred to is the vacuum break, which is in fact under the sink.
But, part of the black tank system?
The question was about the black tank flush line, or so I thought.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #38

For those of you who put the pink stuff in your water lines, do you use your water system to drink from? How long and how much water does it take to flush the pink stuff out? Does it leave a bad taste or bad smell in the water?
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
For those of you who put the pink stuff in your water lines, do you use your water system to drink from? How long and how much water does it take to flush the pink stuff out? Does it leave a bad taste or bad smell in the water?

We drink and cook with the water from my fresh tank. I will run about 50 gallons through the system to flush out the pink. Then I let it sit overnite and flush it the next day. I sanitize my fresh tank at the same time so I use that water for the first flushing. I do not put the pink in the fresh water tank or the hot water tank. It will take forever to flush out.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post

First, I use the non-alcohol antifreeze. It costs a bit more, but I don’t like having the alcohol in contact with soft parts all winter. As far as taste, I put a sanitizing mixture in the water tank first for a few hours then flush the lines, toilets, etc. real good with the sanitizing mixture leaving in the lines for four hours allowing several batches of ice cubes to be made. Drain the tank and the house filter housing, refill with clean water. Then flush all fixtures again until there is no bleach smell while the refrigerator is still making ice cubes. Drain the whole house filter housing and install the filter along with the refrigerator filter. Then the system is ready to use but we drink bottled water for a week to really flush things out prior to drinking. I also dump the first few bins of ice down the drain.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #41

All good suggestions, but here are a few that I would add:
I use my HWH leveling jacks to raise the side of the coach opposite the drain faucets, then return to level after dripping stops.
I leave all drains and dump valves open over the winter.
I remove all faucet screens and place them next to their faucets.
I remove all batteries from clocks and fire alarms, co2 devices.
I prop open the doors on the fridge, freezer, and ice maker.
Because our coach is stored indoors in a private pole barn without heat or electricity I open all ceiling vents and the windows are opened about 6"
I open all cupboard doors.
I release all curtain retainers so curtain pleats do not take a "set" and I leave curtains and blinds open.
I check and empty the little drain tub of the Dometic fridge (accessible from the outside of the coach only)
I disconnect the water supply hose to the icemaker and, after draining, leave it disconnected but wedging a paper towel in that remains visible from the outside to remind me come spring that the line needs reconnecting.
Because we have a cat that sheds I clean all filter screens and louvered openings to the furnaces, fridge, and icemaker.
Done, after disconnecting the coach and engine batteries.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #42

All good suggestions, but here are a few that I would add:
I use my HWH leveling jacks to raise the side of the coach opposite the drain faucets, then return to level after dripping stops.
I leave all drains and dump valves open over the winter.
I remove all faucet screens and place them next to their faucets.
I remove all batteries from clocks and fire alarms, co2 devices.
I prop open the doors on the fridge, freezer, and ice maker.
Because our coach is stored indoors in a private pole barn without heat or electricity I open all ceiling vents and the windows are opened about 6"
I open all cupboard doors.
I release all curtain retainers so curtain pleats do not take a "set" and I leave curtains and blinds open.
I check and empty the little drain tub of the Dometic fridge (accessible from the outside of the coach only)
Check that your windshield washer tank is filled with the appropriate freezing temp washer fluid. Change if necessary.
I disconnect the water supply hose to the icemaker and, after draining, leave it disconnected but wedging a paper towel in that remains visible from the outside to remind me come spring that the line needs reconnecting.
Because we have a cat that sheds I clean all filter screens and louvered openings to the furnaces, fridge, and icemaker.
Done, after disconnecting the coach and engine batteries.
Three months from disconnecting batteries we will return with our portable generator and top off (charge up) the batteries. Three months later we bring the coach home.
Interesting point--when I drive the coach out in the spring and it is setting on the road slightly off level, about a pint of water drains out of the fresh water tank.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, free, water, winter, winterize