Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winterize water lines, antifreeze or blow with air?

Just curious if some of you have a preference for how to winterize your coach water system.
I'm leaning to isolating and draining the Truma, then blowing all lines with low pressure air. And, pour a little RV antifreeze down to drains to keep fluid in the traps.
Drain tanks. And, drain the pump.
Covered? What else?
Oh, how to you protect the residential fridge ice maker? Is disconnecting the water line behind the fridge via the exterior hatch adequate?
Thanks.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

Aquahot system I have requires only antifreeze.
Blowing out the lines with Aquahot May damage the Aquahot.
I use 15 gallons to complete it
The fridge I turn on. Pump anitifreeze thru the water dispenser . Turn off the pump, empty the water from the fridge. Then I open up ,ya outside drain for the ice maker, pink stuff comes out when I drain it.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Aquahot system I have requires only antifreeze.
Blowing out the lines with Aquahot May damage the Aquahot.
I use 15 gallons to complete it
The fridge I turn on. Pump anitifreeze thru the water dispenser . Turn off the pump, empty the water from the fridge. Then I open up ,ya outside drain for the ice maker, pink stuff comes out when I drain it.
Truma also says do not air blow. But, they also recommend no antifreeze, bad for the seals. Just drain.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
See video by Tiffin - I thoughthelpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
Just curious if some of you have a preference for how to winterize your coach water system.
I'm leaning to isolating and draining the Truma, then blowing all lines with low pressure air. And, pour a little RV antifreeze down to drains to keep fluid in the traps.
Drain tanks. And, drain the pump.
Covered? What else?
Oh, how to you protect the residential fridge ice maker? Is disconnecting the water line behind the fridge via the exterior hatch adequate?
Thanks.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
kandcbend, that's awesome. Thanks!
I just need to modify slightly for the Truma, and maybe run the ice maker through a cycle with no water.
Everything else, exactly like the video.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #6

I do both live in NH probably over kill but better safe than sorry. I blow out the lines with air 30 psi, then put 4 gallons of antifreeze in clean bucket pump through system poor some down traps and add 1 gallon in gray and black tank. Have done 2 different coaches this way 10 yrs no problems.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick h View Post
I do both live in NH probably over kill but better safe than sorry. I blow out the lines with air 30 psi, then put 4 gallons of antifreeze in clean bucket pump through system poor some down traps and add 1 gallon in gray and black tank. Have done 2 different coaches this way 10 yrs no problems.
Probably not overkill in NH. Lol
Old 11-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The Truma is super easy. Open faucets make sure no water pressure. Go to Truma, shut off switch in closet, switch to off. Open Truma door on outside of coach. Open release pressure valve upper left. Pull down yellow lever horizontally. Drain a bit of water and pull out and remove element. Look at front of element it says this side up when replacing it. I just leave mine out for the winter.

I just drain tanks, low water valves and Truma. I put some antifreeze in traps just in case. My coach is stored in a heated garage with a 50 amp hookup.

PAM
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep. Follow the instructions in the video in post #4 & you'll have everything covered.

Most people forget they may have multiple pumps (coach, washer, dishwasher) which need AF in them or they could freeze/split. You can't get the water out of pumps with just air.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:

I do the same, then add seal conditioner to both toilets.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:

I go one step more . After I pump the antifreeze through the system , I blow it out with air again then drain whatever is left in the tanks. The hot water tank is bypassed and drained.

I had to replace the lines on my class C yrs ago when it was not winterized properly. After that painful job , I'm not taking any chances.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
The Truma is super easy. Open faucets make sure no water pressure. Go to Truma, shut off switch in closet, switch to off. Open Truma door on outside of coach. Open release pressure valve upper left. Pull down yellow lever horizontally. Drain a bit of water and pull out and remove element. Look at front of element it says this side up when replacing it. I just leave mine out for the winter.

I just drain tanks, low water valves and Truma. I put some antifreeze in traps just in case. My coach is stored in a heated garage with a 50 amp hookup.

PAM
Thanks. Great tips.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
kandcbend, thanks again for the video. I followed that to a T, except a couple different steps for the Truma.
Took a lil less than an hour.
I did this at Red Bay Acres just before dropping the coach off at Tiffin service center Monday morning.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #14

Air
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, free, water, winter, winterize