Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Winterizing

Getting close to that time of year so I have a question on winterizing my 2016 31sa open road. My other motorhome (not Tiffin) did not have a water filter in line and this one does, I'm not seeing any bypass around the filter canister so I
am wondering if you have to fill the canister with anti-freeze to get it thru the lines (seems like a waste of anti-freeze) or is there a different way to it.
ALSO
It will be sitting outside during the winter without a cover, should both vents be cracked open to allow air movement or should the vents be closed. (I have vent covers over both vents

Thank you
Leadbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

I remove the filter from the inside and store it in a zip lock bag inside my house. I leave the antifreeze in the canister. I don't leave any vents open in the winter but I do in the summer (fearing the heat will damage the upholstery).
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I remove the filter and throw it away as I always install a new one when I de-winterize. After I'm done running the anti freeze through the coach I pour the anti freeze in the filter canister back into one of the empty bottles for reuse.

I don't leave any vents open.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Winterizing

I first blew my system out with air, including the water heater line (anode in, tank empty, bypass valve in normal use position) to ensure the check valve on the hot water side is free of water. Also blew out the water fill line, etc. I removed the water filter before starting and after blowing out the lines the filter canister was full of water. So it will fill with anti-freeze as well. My plan is to pump the antifreeze through the system, then removed the canister and pour that in some of the drains rather the. Let it sit in there all winter where it isn’t doing anything.

Like you, this is my first year winterizing my Tiffin. I previously had a Newmar and there are some differences on how things are done. It’s also getting harder to fine RV antifreeze without alcohol in it. My standby, which I bought at Home Depot, is no longer made.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I first blew my system out with air, including the water heater line (anode in, tank empty, bypass valve in normal use position) to ensure the check valve on the hot water side is free of water. Also blew out the water fill line, etc. I removed the water filter before starting and after blowing out the lines the filter canister was full of water. So it will fill with anti-freeze as well. My plan is to pump the antifreeze through the system, then removed the canister and pour that in some of the drains rather the. Let it sit in there all winter where it isn’t doing anything.

Like you, this is my first year winterizing my Tiffin. I previously had a Newmar and there are some differences on how things are done. It’s also getting harder to fine RV antifreeze without alcohol in it. My standby, which I bought at Home Depot, is no longer made.
I just bought 6 gal of propylene glycol AF at Home Depot. It was right next to the alcohol based stuff.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #6

Two thoughts here you might try to see what works:

My pump and filter canister is side by side on the same wall. The output line from the pump is the input line to the filter. Take it off the pump and put the output line form the filter on the pump, eliminating the canister from the water circuit.

Another thing some do is to put a water bottle (upside down) in the canister in place of the filter to displace most of the volume inside the canister.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
...Another thing some do is to put a water bottle (upside down) in the canister in place of the filter to displace most of the volume inside the canister.
Caveat to that: Drink the water then put in an EMPTY bottle. It'll crinkle some due to the pressure, but it'll take up some of the space.

Where we are it's dry in the winter. I don't leave any vents open. YMMV.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check this item out. I tried the water bottle trick but still wound up losing a lot of antifreeze. With this plate no antifreeze goes into the filter housing. I've used this for the past two years.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-FP-WP10.../dp/B001QY1LA2
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA LIQUID SPRINGS Ft & Rear Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
Getting close to that time of year so I have a question on winterizing my 2016 31sa open road. My other motorhome (not Tiffin) did not have a water filter in line and this one does, I'm not seeing any bypass around the filter canister so I
am wondering if you have to fill the canister with anti-freeze to get it thru the lines (seems like a waste of anti-freeze) or is there a different way to it.
ALSO
It will be sitting outside during the winter without a cover, should both vents be cracked open to allow air movement or should the vents be closed. (I have vent covers over both vents

Thank you
I read on one of these threads that you could take an empty water bottle, place it in the canister to use up space so your not using that much antifreeze. But does it really matter, the gallons of antifreeze are under $3.00 at Walmart. 5 Gallons under a $20- . That should be more than enough.
Me personally, I keep the vents closed. I never had a problem.
Dave P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #10

Winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I just bought 6 gal of propylene glycol AF at Home Depot. It was right next to the alcohol based stuff.

The South/Win Ltd (photo below) antifreeze was the one I bought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	301875

Home Depot now carries Primeguard RV, which except for the blue -100 version that they don’t carry, has alcohol.

http://southwinltd.com/ingredient-disclosures/
Old 09-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The South/Win Ltd (photo below) antifreeze was the one I bought.

Attachment 301875

Home Depot now carries Primeguard RV, which except for the blue -100 version that they don’t carry, has alcohol.

http://southwinltd.com/ingredient-disclosures/
Interesting...
The SouthWin stuff I bought looks like the picture, marked -50*F and label lists propylene glycol, water and corrosion inhibitors. No ethanol, or glycerine as listed in the Prime Guard -50*F products.
The other pink AF on the shelf did list ethanol but don't recall the branding or rating.
I usually just read labels and didn't look up ingredients online.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	301880
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimRacer View Post
Check this item out. I tried the water bottle trick but still wound up losing a lot of antifreeze. With this plate no antifreeze goes into the filter housing. I've used this for the past two years.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-FP-WP10.../dp/B001QY1LA2
Great find, I was trying to come up with a cap to screw on, eliminating the canister, but after seeing this, I went out to the shop and cut a 3 5/8" disc and rubber seal, which eliminates filling the canister, perfect fit, thank you for posting.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #13

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/videos/...your-motorhome

Do as Tiffin instructs. Used this as my template last year and it really helped.
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Interesting...
The SouthWin stuff I bought looks like the picture, marked -50*F and label lists propylene glycol, water and corrosion inhibitors. No ethanol, or glycerine as listed in the Prime Guard -50*F products.
The other pink AF on the shelf did list ethanol but don't recall the branding or rating.
I usually just read labels and didn't look up ingredients online.

Yes, the South/Win stuff was great and good ingredients. The link I provided for Primeguard shows all but the -100 version has alcohol. Conveniently, they don’t provide full ingredient list on the label so you can evaluate it before buying. I looked at a few other brands when I couldn’t find the South/Win (had to drive to another Home Depot) and finding a replacement without alcohol wasn’t going well. The ones I did find without alcohol had a lot of complaints about freezing hard at temperatures in the mid teens and cracking components even though they advertised protection from bursting to -50. Haven’t decided what to do next year.

Tags
winter