Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wiper Arms for a 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH

So my MH had problems with one of the wiper arms recently and while in for some unrelated warranty work they were going to replace them both as a curosity and ordered them through Tiffin. That was in mid August... Every week since then TIffin kept stating that it would be another week... so this week when my service advisor called me to tell me he was informed another week I figured I called Tiffin to see what is going on. After talking with Jean she verified that they've been out for some time back ordered with Wiper Technology the same place I was trying to get just wipers from months ago but couldn't because they were back ordered. So I called Wiper Technology who told me it's mid to late October before the arms and blades could be available. Sorry for the long story but I need new arms since one is stripped completely and the other doesn't look the best either and we're supposed to live on the 31st of Sept for a 6 wk. Plus trip... not good without wiper our last trip ended without them in driving rain. I was told the part numbers are ra825-op-d25-s & ra825-op-d15-s. I did a search on line and found nothing. Can anyone first confirm these would be the arms for this MH... These are supposed to be 38" blade size. Service advisor has called some local truck dealers trying to find them or something else even smalleer to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciate. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_193128.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	343678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210520_094630.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	343679  

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
So my MH had problems with one of the wiper arms recently and while in for some unrelated warranty work they were going to replace them both as a curosity and ordered them through Tiffin. That was in mid August... Every week since then TIffin kept stating that it would be another week... so this week when my service advisor called me to tell me he was informed another week I figured I called Tiffin to see what is going on. After talking with Jean she verified that they've been out for some time back ordered with Wiper Technology the same place I was trying to get just wipers from months ago but couldn't because they were back ordered. So I called Wiper Technology who told me it's mid to late October before the arms and blades could be available. Sorry for the long story but I need new arms since one is stripped completely and the other doesn't look the best either and we're supposed to live on the 31st of Sept for a 6 wk. Plus trip... not good without wiper our last trip ended without them in driving rain. I was told the part numbers are ra825-op-d25-s & ra825-op-d15-s. I did a search on line and found nothing. Can anyone first confirm these would be the arms for this MH... These are supposed to be 38" blade size. Service advisor has called some local truck dealers trying to find them or something else even smalleer to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciate. thanks
Not for sure, but do these push onto a splined shaft with a nut on top to squeeze them down tight?. Looks like the nuts loosened a little and allowed the shaft to move in the arm. There would be a lot of leverage on them with 38" blades. In the olden dayz, when wiper arms would strip out, we would put the best epoxy on them we could get. Tighten them down snug, let the epoxy dry for a couple days, tighten another 1/2 turn, then drill a whole right through the middle and put a roll pin in.

I know that's probably not the way you want to fix your 1/4 million dollar coach, but........ Maybe somebody has a better suggestion?

Have you tried looking for used at an RV salvage yard? Usually replacing those arms it was more of a struggle to get them off as they were corroded on than having them slip.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Not for sure, but do these push onto a splined shaft with a nut on top to squeeze them down tight?. Looks like the nuts loosened a little and allowed the shaft to move in the arm. There would be a lot of leverage on them with 38" blades. In the olden dayz, when wiper arms would strip out, we would put the best epoxy on them we could get. Tighten them down snug, let the epoxy dry for a couple days, tighten another 1/2 turn, then drill a whole right through the middle and put a roll pin in.

I know that's probably not the way you want to fix your 1/4 million dollar coach, but........ Maybe somebody has a better suggestion?

Have you tried looking for used at an RV salvage yard? Usually replacing those arms it was more of a struggle to get them off as they were corroded on than having them slip.
Actually the dealer is paying to fix these due to an related issue that lead up to these failures. They are searching around the country for them even smaller ones than the present 38". I agree these are to big...I could be happy with even 32" ones. You are correct on how the attach and I thought of JB Weld for metal but the idea of roll pin addition might be a good idea though going through that would mean I could be stuck with the 38" blades which already fried the wiper motor. I'll wait and see need to do something by end of week one way or the other next week hdg. Out for a month plus trip otherwise I better stock up on Rainx. I'll check RV junk yards too. Thxs
Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem with mine. What an absolute joke of a design for the pressure these things are under. I don't understand why the arms are not splined with the same strength steel as the stem.
Anything "coach" is just a pita to get right now.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Well just an update it's been over 3 months and still no availability of new wiper blade arms. Called Tiffin and was told they were still on backorder with no delivery date. I had called the manufacturer over a month ago and was told late October, early November. If Tiffin doesn't have any then how are they building and delivering new coaches?
Old 10-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

I ordered new blades last June from Tiffin, still waiting.

Wonder if you can get an arm that would work for your trip from someone like Newmar?

See a lot of folks using a few layers of aluminum foil around the shaft spline and tightening hard to keep the arm from slipping. They report it works, but not sure on a large arm like a Motorhome.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #7

Wiper arms

We have had problems with both sides recently. We also had a problem with the drivers side a year ago and was abe t get a replacement from Tiffin. I spent a lot of hours filing the junk out of the splines. I re-installed both sides and drove abut 50 miles. The wipers were already starting to wiggle, even with the 72 ft pounds of torque. I took the nut off and put on the strongest light-tite I could find. Hope it works, as we are planning to leave Illinois for Florida in January. I put RainX on both windows to maybe make the load lower and to at least help us see the road if the darn things failed again.

Besides that I hope our DEF sensor doesn't fail.

or like last February when we were stalled on interstate I-55 in Mississippi for 16 hours in a huge ice storm.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
We have had problems with both sides recently. We also had a problem with the drivers side a year ago and was abe t get a replacement from Tiffin. I spent a lot of hours filing the junk out of the splines. I re-installed both sides and drove abut 50 miles. The wipers were already starting to wiggle, even with the 72 ft pounds of torque. I took the nut off and put on the strongest light-tite I could find. Hope it works, as we are planning to leave Illinois for Florida in January. I put RainX on both windows to maybe make the load lower and to at least help us see the road if the darn things failed again.

Besides that I hope our DEF sensor doesn't fail.

or like last February when we were stalled on interstate I-55 in Mississippi for 16 hours in a huge ice storm.
There's good news and bad news.Bad news I called Tiffin they other day and they still don't have any in yet and have no clue when they will arrive. I need to locate the Mfg.'s number so I call them since they told me end of October/early November. I've been waiting since August now... though I've always use RAINX on my windshields as well as in my windshield wiper fluid. Though I can't use the windshield wiper fluid I can say with confidence that I've always clean the windshield at most stops with RAINX and it really helps me seeing without issues in even the hardest of downpours so far over my trips last few months and I've had some fairly good rainstorms, unfortunately. In fact I noticed other MHs and even 18 wheelers not even using their wipers either, though I'm sure it was by choice unlike me that doesn't have a choice. Even once I get them fixed it may be I use them a lot less than I use to and keep the windshield amply coated wth RAINX.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I ordered new blades last June from Tiffin, still waiting.

Wonder if you can get an arm that would work for your trip from someone like Newmar?

See a lot of folks using a few layers of aluminum foil around the shaft spline and tightening hard to keep the arm from slipping. They report it works, but not sure on a large arm like a Motorhome.
Hi wondering if you had any luck in getting your blades from Tiffin either? I know along with the arms blades were in short supply as well. I was getting ready to replace mine when the motor went and had the dealer replace while it was in for a slide issue failure since it was all under warranty but when I went north after the repairs for a few months in a driving rainstorm was when the arm failed so they ordered new ones to replace them completely. I have a feeling they didn't tightening the drivers side done right when they replaced the motor hence why it stripped.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have you searched for truck arms? I'm seeing 32" arms are pretty common and the splines seems to be standard sizes.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #11

Spoke to Tiffin yesterday, no blades and no ETA. Cancelled my order from last June and bought them from etrailer. I also found another vendor with the blades in stock, albeit for more money.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #12

After you put them on use a paint marker to draw a line on the nut and bolt so that you can visually check to see if it has loosened any.
Milamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Have you searched for truck arms? I'm seeing 32" arms are pretty common and the splines seems to be standard sizes.
Back in August not only I but the Service Manager checked as many places as we can find online and locally to no avail. We had checked from the 38" ones currently on there down to the smaller 32". I'll try them again and mention it to the SM to check since it's been over 3 months. You'd think these are made of Gold or something....I was thinking of calling places that might have Motorhome wrecks but no idea where that might be so if anyone has a place or number I'd appreciate it.
Thxs

Tags
tiffin, phaeton