Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #1

Wiper Switch Body Builder setting???

Our 2017 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QRA has a White Freightliner Chassis. The Dashboard has the Wiper Switch located to the top left of the instrument panel. We live in Fresno California, so rarely use the wipers! On this trip, we're going over the Vail pass on I 70 West of Denver, CO, when it starts to rain. I pulled the switch ring out which is the on position and it then is rotated for interval/slow/fast wiper speeds, but no response from the wipers. I could activate the wipers by pressing the windshield washer switch which started the wipers for the rotation that normally happens in that mode, but of course only for a few cycles. So, the wiper motor seems to be fine.

I reviewed the manual and it states for the standard dash mounted wiper switch, to refer to the Body Builder. I understand the Body Builder is the toggle switch that sets a number of different settings for Setup, Maintenance and Diagnostics. I don't see anything on the menu that indicates anything to do with wiper switch settings. I also spoke with a White Freightliner mechanic who said it was definitely the switch itself. I checked the breaker and it is fine, and I understand there are no fuses.

My thinking is it is the switch, but before I replace the switch, my question is whether there is a setting for the wiper switch in the Body Builder menu I might be missing that will solve the problem. I look forward to hearing responses. Thanks
lhoover118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I believe that the center switch is pushed for washer and turns to turn the wipers on fast, slow and intermittent and the outer ring turns to set intermittent time.
The Body Builder that Freightliner is referring you to is whoever built the coach (body) so, in your case, Tiffin.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Did you pull out the center of the switch? If I remember correctly, pulling out knob activates the wipers, turning it changes the speed.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Did you pull out the center of the switch? If I remember correctly, pulling out knob activates the wipers, turning it changes the speed.

Yes, the outside ring pulls out and then you turn it to change speed of the wipers. The center is pushed for wiper fluid, which does the 3-4 wiper swipes to use the wiper fluid to clean the windshield.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Allegro RED switch was the same. The center part turned to high and low speed positions and pushed in for washer.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #6

When I did the walkthrough on my old 2012 Phaeton, the very first thing that they pointed out was the wiper switch. There was nothing logical about the logic of that switch. I'm guessing that your Red has the same switch.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Replace switch

On my old Bounder I had the same type of wiper control switch. The washer function worked fine, but I couldn't just run the wipers. I had to put a new switch in. Then all was good.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #8

Wiper Switch Body Builder setting??

Brad S, Where did you source your replacement wiper switch from? Our '03 Discovery, on Freighliner chassis is doing same, wiper only works while pushing for windshield washer.
DsrtHllsJrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Wiper switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsrtHllsJrny View Post
Brad S, Where did you source your replacement wiper switch from? Our '03 Discovery, on Freighliner chassis is doing same, wiper only works while pushing for windshield washer.
I got it from "Fleetwood Parts" in 2014. The cost at that time was about $145. I don't know if they are still around, but you might try...

https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/parts/

Part #10115025 looks like it.

BTW, it was not a Bounder, but a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. After looking into it further, the switch was bad and the first respondent in this thread was correct in how the switch operates. Tiffin service and parts were very helpful in diagnosis and how the switch operates. Service noted they do get a lot of questions on this, the operation isn't exactly intuitive.

The Tiffin part # is 1574 and the Denso # is 550597-9010. Tiffin parts said they have 120 of the switches in stock, so if you need a spare, I'll suggest getting one. I did! This is specific to our 2017 Allegro Red 38QRA, so I can't speak to what other models have this specific switch. Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:51 PM   #11

Thanks LHoover for finding and sharing the wiper switch source! Got one ordered today from Tiffin Motorhome online parts, $71.20 plus shipping. Understand it is a Delphi. Other places saying they no longer carry them. Pulled the old one out, from top of dash. Was a tight fit. Will update on if this cures my wiper only coming on when pushing in the washer.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #12

wiper switch

... Ooops, tried to edit my post, correction - believe switch is by Denso (not Delphi).
Old 07-27-2022, 06:32 AM   #13

Thanks. Glad you could get a switch. I agree, there is little room to get at the switch to remove and replace it. I took out the screws for the dash panels the switch is attached and the instrument cluster. With those two panels pulled out, I could get to the switch, though not easy. Best to you.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:35 AM   #14

Thumbs up Wiper Switch

Installed the dash mounted wiper switch. It was exact same replacement for the 2003 Fleetwood Discovery on Freightliner chassis. It cured my problem, now have two speeds and the adjustable intermittent feature and washer all working okay. Thanks again lhoover for the info on sourcing it from Tiffin. Didn't want to splice in another aftermarket switch, almost went with the Painless Wiring's street rod wiper switch. This one plugged right into the existing wiring harness plug. Will be much safer for our next travel.

Tags
switch