Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Won't shift out of Park

Revived RV for spring and it will not shift out of Park with engine started, foot on brake.
To troubleshoot I disabled the drive shaft parking brake (removed linkage, which was free). Discovered that this model (Oshkosh X-line) has hydraulic actuator to apply this brake. A valve assembly is mounted under the actuator cylinder but I can't figure it out from here. Manual says: "The parking brake is applied by means of a control valve activating a relay valve which activates the spring-set parking brake chamber. The spring brake chamber pulls a cable engaging the drum brake on the transmission drive shaft."

I'm lost where to look next. The Shifter on the dash has two cables, one goes to the transmission, the other to where? Its not easy tracing these things!

Some other problems this spring: alternator not working (repaired); engine fuel shutoff solenoid stuck (repaired); ignition switch failed (apparently, instrument lights stay on requiring fuse removal and re-insertion to start engine)

Any help appreciated.

Oshkosh XC18RD chassis
Tiffin Allegro Bay Pusher (1994)
barehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #2

Can be faulty brake light switch, or some vehicles have an actuator near the shifter (safety mechanism to prevent shifting into gear without brake pedal being applied) that can go bad. There may be a "bypass" button that allows you to shift when that actuator goes bad. Check your owner's manual.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does this Mh have a push button panel or regular shifter? You mention cables, do you mean wires.
Sounds like the transmission is not seeing the brake signal. Like was mentioned, check the brake switch.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

Can you put the key on and shift to neutral without starting? On m y previous gasser with a Ford engine and trans with a blown brake light fuse I couldn’t get it out of park with the engine running cause of the safety switch.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:01 AM   #5

Smile Solved

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

The shifter mechanism only has two cables, one goes to the tranny. This cable works so the-can't-shift-out-of-park must be related to the other cable. There are no brake interlocks or other solenoids/switches/sensors with this shifter mechanism.

Tracing that cable from the front to the rear of the coach was tricky and inconclusive. So I traced the hydraulic hoses from the park brake control valve over to its control valve. This valve was tucked along the chassis frame, hard to find and difficult to examine. I put my hand up there to feel around and there is the end of the shifter cable I was looking for! Feeling further I realized it was jammed. WD40 and a screwdriver prying the linkage solved the problem! Now it shifts freely out of park to any gear.
barehill is offline   Reply With Quote