Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #1

I am seriouly considering buying an allegro bay
35tsb. it comes with a workhorse motor but it is available with a freightliner frame and a 300hp cummins diezel motor.
does any one can tel if the diffence in the price worth it and why. Is it the power, the economy, the ride.
please let me share your experience
maxb1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #2

I am seriouly considering buying an allegro bay
35tsb. it comes with a workhorse motor but it is available with a freightliner frame and a 300hp cummins diezel motor.
does any one can tel if the diffence in the price worth it and why. Is it the power, the economy, the ride.
please let me share your experience
Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #3

We recently went through the same process except we bought an Allegro and not the Bay. I couldn't justify the extra 17-19K difference in price and bought a 32LA Ford. With the savings we loaded up with extras. The price of diesel in Texas is about .70-.90 a gal higher than reg gas. I know there are advantages to a diesel but unless I was buying 38ft or larger I feel a gas rig is the way to go.

Good luck.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #4

thanks for your c omments
maxb1947
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #5

After test driving identical 07 Allegro Bay 35TSB, one workhorse, the other freightliner FRED, one right after the other, we chose the FRED. To us the ride was better, less noise, better driving - the extra ccc was a consideration. So far we have been pleased with our choice. There are also some advantages with the diesel on long grades - engine break helps on the way down the other side. Either one is a good choice - I would suggest you drive both and make your choice then. Good luck.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #6

what about the fuel economy,
freightliner says 40% economy over gas engine
did you have the chance to check your mileage to the gallon
Old 04-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
For me, It came down to a Winnie Adventurer 38 (gas/workhorse) versus an Allegro Bay 37QDB. At the end of the day, The 'Bay was $3k less than the best price I could get on the Winnie. The Winnie had more "stuff" (electronics, etc) But I thought I'd be crazy to pass on the 'Bay/Fred combo. Mine has the 340 hp Cummins.

Oh yeah, I heard of a 2k mile road test, identical coaches, one was a Fred, The other. a Workhorse. Fuel mileage was 10.5 for the FRED, 7.2 for the WH.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #8

Couldn't check mileage during test drives (50 miles each). We are averaging 10.5 mpg pulling towd CRV with the FRED and have been told to expect this to get better with more miles.With the price differential between gas and diesel, that makes fuel cost about a wash. We were also told by "experts" that diesel generators are better than gas - have no way of knowing if that is true (expert = ex is has been,spurt is drip under pressure). Good luck with your decision.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought the workhorse (W-25.5) chassis and have no regrets. I wanted the FRED, but we couldn't justify the extra $13,000 for it. Now that gas is $3.50 a gal. and diesel is well over $4.00 a gal., we are glad we went with the gasser. We just put 4,000 miles on it this winter and it performed flawlessly. Our mileage runs between 6.7 to 8.1 towing our Jeep Liberty at 60 mph. I know the diesel gets better mileage, but that $13,000 we saved will buy LOTS of gas!
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me, [economy]it was the overall cost to maintain, that led me to the gas model. Simple motor, no large quantities of fluid, service available anywhere, service that I could DIY, etc. Fairly straightforward troubleshooting for someone like me. Additionally, I do very little mountain travel, to warrant a diesel. I find my 8.1 L workhorse can tackle the grades of the Smokies & Piedmont areas with ease. Rockies & full-time travel would make me reconsider my choice.
Power & Ride?
A comparative test drive is rather more [redundant] reassurance of the quietness of the rear engine location. The power of a diesel will, of course, impress any driver behind the wheel. Everyone I meet is impressed that my Workhorse is as quiet; generally mistaken for a diesel powerplant. Quiet as a mouse.
All-in-all it's what you value most[or affordably] that counts. The diesel models all allow for greater cargo & toad weights, along with more elaborate floorplans with (in some cases) residential appliances.
My 34 ft. Allegro Bay with 2 slides suits me & my DW just fine as we favor the shorter length coach.We went gas, and maxed-out on all the options available. Only regret is that we did not get the larger capacity fridge. No problem yet, as we are always nearby some Wal-Mart.

Max, you didn't say if you were looking at new or used. Either is a good choice, as most are well-kept for resell and are supposedly problem free after the initial break-in period. If you are thinking this to be your last Rv purchase, have plans to drive thru the mountains & generally have a desire for punch-it and move performance..then it's a no brainer, go diesel. If you value economy & are unhurried,laid-back with time to climb and are looking for pure value, go gas.
That's my take...