Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellion View Post
Lots of different opinions on the same question and they can't all be correct, although lots of good and related information. I have the same inverter so I'll add what I think is new information. On my unit, if the inverter is not turned on before the shore power is disconnected the inverter will NOT turn itself on. If the inverter is turned on before the shore power is disconnected it will remain on and power most 120V outlets. If you look at previous pics of the inverter control panel the status light on the 'invert' button must be on before you disconnect the shore power. The pics I have seen posted on this thread do not show the inverter status light on the button illuminated.
Agree. I think folks confuse on/off vs enable/disable. The inverter function must be turned ON for inverting to automatically enable/disable with the presence or absence of shore power.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2022, 09:08 PM   #30

Turn all your breakers off unplug shore power, plug shore back in and turn one breaker at a time on and see if it works. My transfer switch was stuck so I cleaned and tightned everything in it and it now works fine
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:21 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
A lot of you guys are making a simple issue far more complicated than it needs to be. I don't have a Xantrex, but all inverter/chargers have to follow certain rules.

1. When AC is available, they pass it through. Inverter function isn't needed.
2. When AC is available, the integrated charger becomes active.
3. When AC is not available, the only source of power is the battery bank. Without that 12V input, nothing can work.

When the OP found +12 on the battery cables at the inverter, with shorepower connected, that tells us the charger is trying to charge something. It does not prove whether the inverter/charger is connected to any batteries.

When the OP found 0V at the inverter with shorepower disconnected, that it an obvious indication of a battery or cable problem. Yes, the fuse would be the next thing to check. Now that the fuse has been replaced, the inverter has a source of DC power and can be powered up. Great!

From this point on, we are looking at the behavior of certain AC appliances. If a GFCI outlet trips on inverter power but not on shorepower, that tells us that the inverter AC waveform is somehow inferior to the shorepower waveform, or that the switchover isn't happening smoothly.

For curiosity, I'd like to see the inverter AC output on a scope. But, for practicality and expediency, I think simply replacing the GFCI receptacle is the quick and dirty way to go. That is, as long as every other AC appliance is behaving nicely on inverter power. As a temporary troubleshooting measure, you could try a standard (non-GFCI) receptacle in that location.

If that new Xantrex isn't performing perfectly, you will want to know that before it goes out of warranty. At the very least, make sure you report the GFCI problem to Xantrex, just to get it on the record.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #32

GFI Tripping

My understanding is that GFIs trip with micro/millivolts of differential between live and neutral. I have seen instances where the dusty insulation was enough to trip the GFI. If for some reason there is leakage within the inverter the GFI should trip. That does not necessarily indicate a failing GFI.

That being said, some older GFIs will self test as working when they are actually defective. A plug in tester is desirable to be assured that the GFI is truly offering full protection. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Te...s%2C140&sr=8-2 is a great investment. If you get to a campground and have flaky shore power, it will help you isolate possible power issues to the pedestal or your rig.

In any case, I would confirm that all electrical connections on the inverter are tightened. Make sure the ground wire on the inverter is in place and tightened. Before working on the inverter confirm that all incoming power is disconnected from the source. That means AC and DC including any solar panels. If the inverter has power accidentally restored while you are working on it, there is risk of a lethal shock. We all like to DIY on our rigs but if you have any doubts about what you are doing, pay a professional.
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xantrex