Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

'03 Discovery propane question

I have a new to me '03 Discovery, and can only get the propane to come on if the chassis battery is on - is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?
Cajun2Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two ways the Propane works on a motor home.. You have a problem. Will describe.
ONE: on my RV the propane is independent of electrical systems. The Propane/Explosive Gas alarm makes noise, and flashes an LED, and that's all.

Page 2: Other RV's the alarm often has a switch and there is a solenoid valve (Electrically operated) in the gas line near the tank valve that is shut off when the alarm sounds.

IN this case you MUST have power to the house for the propane to work. If your house batteries are not properly connected, Well or if the alarm is wired to the chassis instead of the house.. You may need chassis power for the alarm to work and it controls the valve.

From your description. I have a short list of suspects.

IF I were wiring that I'd use a diode combiner so that the alarm could draw from either the HOUSE or Chassis batteries.. (This is the same as the diode kit used for tail lights on the towed by the way, nothing exotic) because that alarm is that important.

If one diode failed.. You got it.

Or as noted above, someone may have wired it to a Chassis fuse, instead of a house fuse. Some RV's there is at least one fuse box (Mine says Intelletec Battery Control System) that has both, IN adding devices I have to be careful to pick the proper fuse.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Something might be wrong with the LP leak detector, the one near the floor. Should get power from BOTH House and Chassis. It feeds the LP shutoff solenoid.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Info below most likely your issue<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Also, Check the BCC, Battery Control Center. It has fuses for both Chassis and house batteries to the LP detector. I bet the House fuse is toast. Should be a fuse ID on the backside of the cover.

No diode combiner in the Discovery Diesel

While your at it give me the part number of the BCC, we can get you docs/service manual

Their is also an isolator relay between positives on house/chassis batteries. When you press the Aux Start button next to driver seat that solenoid should clunk. You should be able to hear it. IF the solenoid is OK your chassis and house voltages SHOULD be the same or really close. If not you might have bad contacts. When driving down the road the BCC has logic that SHOULD energize that solenoid so the house batteries get charged from the alternator. ALSO, when plugged in and your inverter/converter is charging the house batteries the BSS should also energize the isolator relay thus charging the Chassis batteries.

Keep us posted, Check ALL fuses in that BCC as well

First topic has the link to my BCC service manual. Lots of great people on this forum.!!
http://dieselrvowners.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Great information!
I will check it tonight and let you know.
Thanks, Bo
Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Mine had a solenoid that went bad, expensive. Apparently often.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun2Stepp View Post
Great information!
I will check it tonight and let you know.
Thanks, Bo
Waiting for an update
Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun2Stepp View Post
I have a new to me '03 Discovery, and can only get the propane to come on if the chassis battery is on - is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?
Try not to solve a problem you do not have. All the batteries should be on anyway when you are operating the vehicle. There is no benefit in turning them off unless you are storing the rig for the Winter.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Sorry, I've been fighting with flood insurance people when I get "home to the motorhome" from work and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Whenever I leave my chassis batteries on, they will drain down after a few days, so I leave them off.
That may have something to do with my problem.
I hope to take a look at it tonight.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

Pcurt must think he's a mind reader. Trying to tell you you don't have a problem before you have a chance to even fill us in. Must think your disconnecting the batteries for the fun of it.
Take you time and then get back to us with what's going on. We will figure out your issue(s).
Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
We were a Fleetwood dealer. The failure rate is VERY LOW. In fifteen years I only replaced a couple. My Pace is a 1998. The original solenoid is still working fine. On the other side of the coin. I always thought they were overkill. My wife and I are very careful about turning the gas knobs off. This spring we took our 4 year old great grandson on a trip in our motorhome. We left in the mourning and returned to find the gas turned off. I looked at the knobs on the stove and every single one (all 3) were turned fully on. 4 year olds like to turn every knob and switch they can find. Now I think the solenoids are a great idea.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
No often on this end. 93 Pace Arrow Diesel had original still functional today and our 07 Discovery still working.

OP, What did you find? Awaiting update.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #12

I don't think it your problem, but I've replaced gas noids on my 82 pace,and on my 2005 exc,and was left on the side of the road twice by battery disconnects that aren't suppose to go bad..that was on my 97 bounder. Thank s to the man from Lowcountry RV repair in Beaufort SC. Twice he saved me from the fire ants on the side of the road. Tried too have it diagnosed twice and charged for half days labor. This doesn't count the old cars. They won't work with out power. Good luck
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #13

I had a chance to check it out this weekend.
First, I need to make a correction to my original post - it is a 2002 NOT a 2003. Sorry but my typing is sometimes pretty bad.
As stated earlier, my chassis batteries drain after a few days, and that was the case Saturday morning-dead, so that's what I checked first.
The aux battery switch would not allow it to crank by the coach batteries, so I went to the BCC and started testing.
It is a RV products F73-1040 for a diesel.
I found one of the aux fuses, #F17, was blown.
I replaced it and continued checking it.
It made no difference with the propane problem.
I am going to try and locate a wiring schematic and trace the wiring from the gas shut off switch and see where it goes from there.
Thanks for all of your help, Bo Stepp
Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Pull the leak detector on the floor, it "should" have two separate 12 volt inputs, main and aux or something to that effect. You should also see the output to the solenoid. Do some testing there first.

Tags
discovery, propane